Rejected my car - faulty

kev.s

Reaction score
very very long story short....

order new car last year A4 Avant black edition, arrived new in Nov 14, there ends the good part of the story.
since then, the car has been in and out of the dealer due to cutting out randomly, this was the main issue and reason for rejection. I've had every conceivable "diagnosis" from the dealers "technical" gurus, from it's "your pollen filter" to "the bass on the stereo system is set to high" .... yes seriously! in the 6 month I've owned the car, the dealer has had it easily had it 3 months off and on, this time alone 8 weeks with no resolution to a fix.

i gave up the ghost and finally rejected the car due to major fault, manufacturer accept this, dealer accept this, but they want me to pay £2k for replacement, wtf? claiming "betterment" in my favor. I have rejected their proposal and await their response.

Pollen filter and bass set to high on stereo , lmfao :glee:

Audi monkeys.

Reactions: TahirS and skiptowncat
If you are having a replacement car to the same specification then how can they claim "betterment" unless they mean the new car will not cut out randomly so will actually work as would expect it to.
But why should you be paying more for a correctly working car.
If you are getting a new car with an uprated spec over what you originally had I would expect them to give you that as some compensation for the grief you have had over the last year. If they are no longer able to provide the same spec vechicle then that is their problem and not yours.
I would be collecting all the details and info together and going to trading standards as well as one or two of those consumer programs on TV.

Karl.

Reactions: S.line
Audi monkeys.

Having been an Audi owner for 4 months I am inclined to agree, due to various 'issues' so far.

The most recent being 2 new tyres fitted and they clearly check and adjusted the pressures of the wrong pair.

The fronts were adjusted to 36 (I know this as they were 34 when I set them last) but it was the rears they swapped !!!!
When I checked the rears they were 40 and 45 psi, hence why I was finding the ride very much on the 'HARD' side.

Are they offering to build you a new car to the same spec, or providing a 'from stock' "replacement" vehicle with a higher spec?

If the latter, then possibly they have a point, although it's pretty daft of them to pursue it.

If they've accepted your rejection, I think should get a 100% refund. Won't that cover the replacement cost?

Consumer direct fit for service? No. Keep us posted good luck!!!

Are they offering to build you a new car to the same spec, or providing a 'from stock' "replacement" vehicle with a higher spec?

If the latter, then possibly they have a point, although it's pretty daft of them to pursue it.

If they've accepted your rejection, I think should get a 100% refund. Won't that cover the replacement cost?

they cannot offer the same car as they no longer make the model/spec i purchased in November, they're determination of "betterment" is that the car now comes with a better engine (that's a laugh) and NAV plus a few other standard mods. They've failed to recognized that i paid extra for the NAV plus added a few other options too.
the 100% refund, i'd accept including my deposit & finance paid to date along with the extras i opted & paid for at time of ordering.

rejected fully under my consumer rights and the sale of goods act 1979/section 14. handed the keys back last week, so they are in full posession of the car now.

should hopefully hear back this week...

... i'd accept including my deposit & finance paid to date along with the extras i opted & paid for at time of ordering.
Not sure if finance make that easier or more difficult. You have to reject the car to the finance company rather than the dealership, because they've supplied it to you and they actually own it.

Financial Ombudsman is there to help if you don't get a satisfactory resolution. http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/complain.html

Not sure if finance make that easier or more difficult. You have to reject the car to the finance company rather than the dealership, because they've supplied it to you and they actually own it.

Financial Ombudsman is there to help if you don't get a satisfactory resolution. http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/complain.html

I have to reject to the dealership 1st, then to finance Co if refund is requested.

Discussed with dealer yesterday, they have advised the manufacturer are willing to accept £1000 to which they will contribute £500, but i'm still expected to pay £500 for returning a faulty product - they have advised that as i've used the car, i've devalued it (depreciation) and this is why "betterment" is stated. They said this is their best offer (although not stated final) as they have to present a zero invoice to the manufacturer.

I'm still at a loss as to why i'm expected to pay to replace the car, when the only reason it's returned/rejected is because it's faulty & they cannot diagnose the problem or fix it..

........should have bought a bus pass!

I'm curious : Will the replacement car affect the end date of your finance agreement or your monthly outgoings? Does it affect the GFV?
Or does your finance agreement get torn up and start all over again? I think you shouldn't be paying a penny to the dealer because your contract is with the finance company, not with the manufacturer.

my agreement is to remain status quo, no new agreement just change of documents so finance will finish at same date. My contract is actually with the dealer, although it's the finance Co. which own the car until paid.

They don't seem to grasp the fact that, i'm only receiving "betterment" as they call it, due to them supply faulty goods. spoke to my lawyer today who says the same thing... only in a more jargon laden email..

Reactions: silentbrown
Sorry to hear about your problems, been there so i feel your pain mate.
Assume you've already kicked-up a fuss with Audi UK CS (worked for me in the end)

Many moons ago i got my B7 A4 replaced with the new B8, took me 12 months!
Quiet a difference between a rejection and full refund and a replacement car in Audi’s eyes.
Don’t let the bar stewards get you down!

cheers Keef, i'd be happy for a replacement, but the £500 out of principal is pi55ing me off... not tried Audi UK yet, but thats my next route, getting a contact is a pain though, no luck yet.
If they could fix my car the problem would be resolved..

In my experience with Audi dealer & Audi CS UK, the best course of action is to go straight to the top!
I emailed the ‘Head of Customer Quality', use to be Jason Cranswick but according to his linked-in page he’s moved on!
A quick Google should find you the right contact - Don’t be afraid to name and shame your dealers if they are messing you around.

i have submitted full information now to financial ombudsman (see if i'm entitled to refund of monies paid and close off finance, walk away) and to CAB (to see why i'm being asked for a contribution to replace a faulty product) i'm waiting for their response.

I'll research online to see if i can located a contact for Audi Uk CS, take that step too.

The "betterment" clause is probably in there to claw back (or at least, cushion) the initial deprecation hit, even if they replace like with like and sell the rejected car via Audi Approved (which they probably will). But so much for Audi customer care.....I am willing to bet if this had been any of the Jap makes then it would have been replaced without penalty.

Reactions: TahirS
completely falls out of line with the SOGA & consumer rights, this is my point. Although they seem to think this does not apply to them. Audi UK do not seem to be willing to step in either. i'll continue meantime see what happens.

well, conclusion reached. New car due end of July. They have said exact same spec which is good. Although as they now come with black accent body parts, i told them i'm not keen on that with white - think it would look like a wisemans milk delivery truck! so i asked to change the colour. I have opted for the sepang blue and i'll pay that. they still wanted the £1k which I've got down to £500. I've accepted this, not happy or satisfied but accepted. Audi UK called for a satisfactory survey, relayed this info back to them and they got all huffy, the words of the customer service rep was "we could have told you to live with it" on that note i hung up the phone.

It has to be said, it'll take some time for me to purchase another Audi..

At least its a result - just try to enjoy the new car when it comes! I rejected a Merc about 5 years ago as the paint was dodgy I got a new car fairly easily which arrived about 6 months later, the car I returned had done 17000 miles and the back tyres needed replacing but there were no issues. One of the reasons that I kept buying Mercs until I was drawn by the S4 and not regretted it. Luckily no issues so far (touch wood).

Well I’m glad you got sorted and I’m sure you’ve had enough of a fight.
But i would seriously recommend writing a little note, stating all the events and send to:-

‘Alison Jones Group Aftersales and Customer Quality Director at Volkswagen Group UK Ltd’
They are based in Milton Keynes

Personally i would especially mention Audi UK called for a satisfactory survey, relayed this info back to them and they got all huffy, the words of the customer service rep was "we could have told you to live with it"

Keef, i'll certainly still write a letter to them to express my contempt. Still reeling a bit to be fair, part of me wants them to screw the spec up even just slightly from my own one, that'll be another whole new thread :)

Reactions: Keef
well car has arrived, collect Saturday, i await with baited breath to see if this one is to perform hassle free..

Reactions: Bristle Hound, ruairi83 and RS5 JON
will do man, yes fingers (and everything else) crossed for a more enjoyable ride...... said that to the wife the other day too..... very quiet in the house now!

Reactions: Keef, RS5 JON and Bristle Hound
as promised, here are a couple of shots of the new one.

Reactions: ruairi83, Kev M, Bristle Hound and 2 others
as promised, here are a couple of shots of the new one.

A4 Avant looks very nice indeedy @kev.s :thumbs up:

Do like that colour ... ;)

Hope this A4 is everything that your last A4 wasn't buddy

Reactions: kev.s
Looking good, makes me mad that Audi don't offer privacy glass on the saloon, so bizzare. Seeing another pic of an avant with pimped up windows has made me get mine booked in for some aftermarket tints

Thanks guys, the fronts are booked in for tinting on friday.

Looks great, can't wait for mine to arrive.

Just catching up on this. You've had a cr*p time of it. Been there done that with BMW.
Loving the new Avant and the colour. Happy motoring, this time round. Let us know if anything comes from your letter writing.

Reactions: kev.s