Reducing unsprung weight - Lightweight wheels - pics? OZ's?

Stewart

Reaction score
Website
www.oreton.com
In an effort to reduce the unsprung weight and overall weight in general, I am looking into some much lighter wheels.

Reading some sites listing wheel weights and other discussions, it seems OZ Superleggara's may be a good choice. They roughly weigh in 10-15Ilbs lighter than replica 18" wheels (RS4, MTMs etc) per corner which is a good saving, especially unsprung.

Has anyone any pics or seen any pics of the OZ's or any other lightweights?

I used to love the OZ Superleggara's. Still do, just not sure if they'd suit my S3. Have you seen the new ULTRAleggara's? Bit more aggressive. Apparently Compomotive do some good lightweight wheels. BBS are the daddies, but I think they're way too expensive.

Rich

Those wheels look nice on that S3. As for OZ wheels, i have nothing bad to say about them. I had a set for 4 years on my Golf, all year round, and they didnt show any signs of corosion or wear whatsoever - not even where the missus had scratched them.

Hmm, yeah I saw that whilst browsing Pistonheads which kinda got me thinking about the whole weight (whilst shopping for Big Reds and brackets lol) issue...

The silver S3 with the OZ's... either they are really wide or he's running some mad spacers or silly offset, they dont look too bad though, wonder what they'd look like on my black S3? Perhaps in black? I thinking about yellow Porsche calipers :)

AKY, which wheels? I have 3 sets at the moment :)

These?
www.oreton.com/images/cars/s3_grey_mtms4.jpg
or these?
www.oreton.com/images/cars/s3_rial_5.jpg

Chris, these?
http://www.dymag.com/index2_e.html
fugly! lol

Any other suggestions?

I thought you had some RS6's or RS4's, didn't realise you were really greedy!!
I've got some deep dish ones myself but didn't think they would suit the S3. Was trying to keep in OEM so the above wheels really!

Super legs are just brilliant wheels, so noticeable how nice they are on the car, I have some on a Rover 200 BRM!!!
And I have to say, so much nicer paint finish than the BBS Rx's I have on the mk4. I'd say a better all round, BUT, I just love CHs on S3s!! So i will proabbly have them at the expense of handling, weight etc.
Superlegs are very very strong too, I hit an enourmous pothole with one and it left not a mark, I thought it would be flattened!
Best price for superlegs new will be MSWUK, (motorsport wheels UK), I use the Wednesbury branch.

stewart , what are the make of those grey nine spoke wheels , like the looks of them

what size are you looking for?

its a shame these aren't avaliable in larger sizes..

superlight.jpg

http://www.wolfrace-alloy-wheels.co.uk/wolfrace/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=38

only in 7x15 at the mo..

look hard as f*ck as track wheels..

simch said:
Super legs are just brilliant wheels, so noticeable how nice they are on the car, I have some on a Rover 200 BRM!!!
And I have to say, so much nicer paint finish than the BBS Rx's I have on the mk4. I'd say a better all round, BUT, I just love CHs on S3s!! So i will proabbly have them at the expense of handling, weight etc.
Superlegs are very very strong too, I hit an enourmous pothole with one and it left not a mark, I thought it would be flattened!
Best price for superlegs new will be MSWUK, (motorsport wheels UK), I use the Wednesbury branch.
When I was looking for a set of Super's for my old Corsa the guy warned me off them. He rolled out one he'd hit a pothole on, and one of the spokes had snapped! Still, great looking lightweight wheel!

Rich