Red LED in doors?

Wippers

Reaction score
Website
www.garethwhiston.com
Having had the RS5 now a week I’ve noticed that the short LED lights is in the doors are red sometimes briefly but then change to white. I don’t think the car has any extended light package or anything so does anyone know what this is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had the RS5 now a week I’ve noticed that the short LED lights is in the doors are red sometimes briefly but then change to white. I don’t think the car has any extended light package or anything so does anyone know what this is?

Audi A4 exit warning
The exit warning is activated when the new Audi A4 and Avant stop moving. If other vehicles are approaching from behind, it warns occupants as they open the doors. The system warns drivers by means of LED fiber optics in the inside door-opening mechanism (contour lighting). In situations that are assessed as dangerous, special high-performance red LEDs blink and light up. The exit warning stays on for approximately three minutes after the ignition is turned off.

Above applies to the A5 as well. It comes as standard with side-assist (standard spec on RS5). The behviour you describe is the system going through it's testing phase which happens everytime you get in or start up the engine (can't remember which).

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Double V
Audi A4 exit warning
The exit warning is activated when the new Audi A4 and Avant stop moving. If other vehicles are approaching from behind, it warns occupants as they open the doors. The system warns drivers by means of LED fiber optics in the inside door-opening mechanism (contour lighting). In situations that are assessed as dangerous, special high-performance red LEDs blink and light up. The exit warning stays on for approximately three minutes after the ignition is turned off.

Above applies to the A5 as well. It comes as standard with side-assist (standard spec on RS5). The behviour you describe is the system going through it's testing phase which happens everytime you get in or start up the engine (can't remember which).

Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn’t work out why they were red but I couldn’t make them red in the menu system anywhere.

Audi A4 exit warning

Very useful information. :)

Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn’t work out why they were red but I couldn’t make them red in the menu system anywhere.

Ive had my door cards off to swap the red reflector on the side of the door to a red LED. The fibre optic pipe that feeds the strip splits in two. One end goes to the ambient lighting LED and the other goes to the exit assist LED. In cars with extended LED lighting pack the white LED is replaced by an RGB one.

Some folk have previously asked why they can't simply switch the extended LED lighting option on using VCDS, having assumed that the hardware is re-installed because of the red/white lights coming through the door strip and that's the reason.

It's worth having a look in the manual at the different driver assistance options. If you have the reversing camera you've also got Rear Cross Traffic Assist which has saved me on more then one ocassion when reversing out of my parent's driveway on to a main road.

https://www.audi-technology-portal....-systems/audi-a4-rear-cross-traffic-assist-en

Reactions: Fireblade1 and Wippers