Red Gunge, what is it? - Pics attached

DJ_26

Reaction score
Hi all, checked the coolant level in my car recently and it was on minimum. The last time I topped it up was roughly about 6 months (or more) ago. Therefore it just appears to be a very slow drop in coolant. I use the car every single day too. Car has a B revision head, had a new thermostat about a year and a half ago. No obvious leaks except for something I've noticed recently.

If you look down the gap between the Intake hose and the battery compartment, you can see some thick red gunge, collected around what looks like a small 90 degree pipe that is part of a big cooler-like thing. The pictures don't show it clearly, but in that location, there is essentially a lump of residue that I can only describe as a lump of red-orange ice lol.

Can someone please identify if this is some sort of EGR cooler or oil cooler and can this red gunge be a mix of corrosion and coolant? Cheers guys!

20161218 145903

20161218 145925
20161218 145914

If it's near the battery it could coming from that? How old is it?

I was thinking that also but wasn't sure. It's a 2005 car, so over 11 years old. Battery itself is in good nick, however, do you think the body (of the battery) has cracked and it may be leaking acid?

It's one of 3 things, watercausing a bit rust, coolant as its pink/red or thebattery.
Only way to find out is remove battery and root around that area.