Recon Engine vs 2nd Hand Engine

Abz99

Reaction score
Hi everyone, as you can tell from the title, I’m in dire need of an engine, and as many are aware, many garages are out there just to make money off people dishonestly, so I need advice, my Audi A3 1.6 Petrol manual 2007 is giving me endless problems, white smoke, rough idle, leaky injectors etc so instead of changing bits and pieces when another underlying problem may arise I thought it best to replace the engine, now I’ve seen an engine compatible to mine go for £450 on eBay and that’s a 22k miles Engine with some warranty however I’ve been told that with these engines they have little to no history about what’s been done to them, probably retrieved from a write off or whatnot. I’ve been also told that a recon engine has had all its bits replaced etc such as pumps and everything else. Which should I go for and will high mileage on a recon engine really make a difference seeing as it’s had it’s inners all replaced?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Recon engines come bare, don’t include alternator, starter and air con stuff. should have a new oil pump and water pump as they are fitted internally.
It’s down to you how much you can afford in the end.

Recon engines come bare, don’t include alternator, starter and air con stuff. should have a new oil pump and water pump as they are fitted internally.
It’s down to you how much you can afford in the end.

Thanks mate, I’ve asked the garage in question and they’ve quoted £995 for the reconditioned engine with all its counterparts including HG, alternator and etc, that’s for a supply and fit and all parts have been replaced that need to be, comes with a 6 month warranty. Is that a fair price do you reckon?

For all that and fitting,yes it’s cheap. I would find out if this is a good garage to do the work though.

You or they say "all parts have been replaced that need to be,"
Thats a non statement really because in whos opinion do they need to be replaced ?. They might think in their opinion nothing needs to be replaced in which case its not reconditioned.
I think i would want to see a list of the work carried out TBH.

For all that and fitting,yes it’s cheap. I would find out if this is a good garage to do the work though.

Yeah I know a few mates who’ve dealt with them before but none of them have Audi’s so I presumed to ask here first to see if I was getting ripped off or not

You or they say "all parts have been replaced that need to be,"
Thats a non statement really because in whos opinion do they need to be replaced ?. They might think in their opinion nothing needs to be replaced in which case its not reconditioned.
I think i would want to see a list of the work carried out TBH.
Should’ve been a tad clearer, they mentioned all parts get changed that should be changed regardless of whether it seems to be in good shape or not such as pistons, piston rings, gasket, camshaft, timing belt etc. I’ll be sure to get a breakdown of all work done to it and whether or not they’re good quality parts