Recommendations for full respray? Car's been keyed :(

jordann

Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently got a really good deal on an mint condition Audi A3, however I came out to my pride and joy on Friday morning to find someone very unlucky had slashed my tyres and keyed the majority of panels on my car :mad:

Panel's keyed;
- Passenger side (Front wing all the way through to rear light, very deep)
- Bonnet (Both sides)
- Drivers side (Kicked in, Dented and rear quarter keyed, drivers door keyed)

Because this covers the majority of the car i'd have to go with a full respray, or my boot lid & roof would be a slightly different shade to the rest of my car. I'm just wondering if anyone had experienced a professional full respray and what kind of prices i'm looking at? Also anyone can recommend a decent place to go?

Thank you.

I'm based in Bournemouth (South) - When I finally get the money to do it I don't mind a bit of travel to get a spot on job. I'd love it to look like how it did when it originally came out of the showroom, if that's possible :)

Last edited:
Jeez I hope you got the police involved. If your car is parked outside your place def get some kinda CCTV system put in as that might well happen again, it sounds like a pretty damaging isolated incident on your car!

be very careful on who you get to do the job , mine's been painted 3 times this year . first time it came out 12 different shades of blue ,took it elsewhere decent job done but hated where the blend line was in the door shuts (can be avoided but not cost effective to the painter . 3rd time car was involved in an accident ,hired a booth and painted it myself removed everything door tops lights /roof bars /door cards etc etc . couldn't get an exact paint match to the car (was intending to do one side and blend across . closest match to paint ended up been suzuki kashmir blue pearl . looks better than original colour tbh only part not painted was engine bay and with all the plastics etc in there you wouldn't notice . has a purple hint in sun

car was originally audi aruba blue pearl

so you know who did it?
- yes, unfortunately. The 'adult' who's done this has also done the same to my old man's Nissan Navera, quite bad.

Jeez I hope you got the police involved. If your car is parked outside your place def get some kinda CCTV system put in as that might well happen again, it sounds like a pretty damaging isolated incident on your car!
- Unfortunately we can't really get the police involved, we've got no solid evidence. I live in a cul de sac where our garages and parking doesn't have electric supplied so we can't get any camera's out there. None of my neighbours heard anything either :( Out of 20 cars in our close only mine and my old man's were done.

be very careful on who you get to do the job , mine's been painted 3 times this year . first time it came out 12 different shades of blue ,took it elsewhere decent job done but hated where the blend line was in the door shuts (can be avoided but not cost effective to the painter . 3rd time car was involved in an accident ,hired a booth and painted it myself removed everything door tops lights /roof bars /door cards etc etc . couldn't get an exact paint match to the car (was intending to do one side and blend across . closest match to paint ended up been suzuki kashmir blue pearl . looks better than original colour tbh only part not painted was engine bay and with all the plastics etc in there you wouldn't notice . has a purple hint in sun

car was originally audi aruba blue pearl
- cheers, that's why I'm asking for recommendations, I'll see if I can a photo up but unfortunately the photo doesn't do the damage any justice.

Here are a few photo's of some of the damage...

IMG 6021
IMG 6022
IMG 6025
IMG 6030
IMG 6031
IMG 6036

S**t man you must of P155ed some one off for them to do that!!

I live in South Wales and theres a guy that re-sprays all my mates cars and they are fussy so it has to be a good job. They been paying roughtly £1600-£2300 depending on what they want and colour etc, so for a good job your probably looking around the £2000 for a full re-spray.

Hope you get it sorted anyway mate.

S**t man you must of P155ed some one off for them to do that!!

I live in South Wales and theres a guy that re-sprays all my mates cars and they are fussy so it has to be a good job. They been paying roughtly £1600-£2300 depending on what they want and colour etc, so for a good job your probably looking around the £2000 for a full re-spray.

Hope you get it sorted anyway mate.

This isn't anyone that i've ****** off. They're doing it to try and get to someone else, my poor car has been dragged into it :(

Yeah that's roughly what I thought. We've got quite a few places near me that do respray's, I was just wondering if anyone could say this place does spot on work.

Not got one of these myself but might be worth a look, they're dash/hood mounted internal security cameras in cars, battery operated and with cigarette lighter power.

CC1 + One - Crash Catcher®

They're used a lot in the states to help prove accident blames, this one above has two cameras and G-shock/motion detection might not catch much but a possible option to look at if you can't get camera's outside.

There's probably other camera's like this but I know the Gadget Show did a review of one of their other products a few months back and rated them quite highly.

Goodluck mate, thats harsh seeing your car in that state!

screw paint, get it plasti dipped for £300. then if it gets keyed again, it will cost £15 for a can of plasti dip to peel off and then redo the said area!

Not got one of these myself but might be worth a look, they're dash/hood mounted internal security cameras in cars, battery operated and with cigarette lighter power.

CC1 + One - Crash Catcher®

They're used a lot in the states to help prove accident blames, this one above has two cameras and G-shock/motion detection might not catch much but a possible option to look at if you can't get camera's outside.

There's probably other camera's like this but I know the Gadget Show did a review of one of their other products a few months back and rated them quite highly.

Goodluck mate, thats harsh seeing your car in that state!

Thanks buddy, we're going to see about CCTV. Only issue is my luck i'll spend all this money on CCTV and it won't happen again.

screw paint, get it plasti dipped for £300. then if it gets keyed again, it will cost £15 for a can of plasti dip to peel off and then redo the said area!
-- I'm not to keen on plastidip, I'd like it back to how it was pre-f***** scratching it. Cheers anyway.

Thanks buddy, we're going to see about CCTV. Only issue is my luck i'll spend all this money on CCTV and it won't happen again.

-- I'm not to keen on plastidip, I'd like it back to how it was pre-f***** scratching it. Cheers anyway.

If someone did this to my car and I knew who it was I would be paying them a little visit. As for whither to get CCTV or not, I'd rather spend some money and get it. It shouldn't bother you if nothing ever happened again because at the end of the day CCTV is a deterent. It is more likely that people have seen it and thought twice about doing something.

I'm with Armstrong on this one (you wasn't in the Tour de France were you? ;) ) for the sake of a few quid you it'll help (unless they knick your motor and the CCTV). But its like house alarms, they act as a deterrent and to see a camera would hopefully put people off.

I feel your pain mate, some tit scuffed up my front passenger bumper driving too close and sadly there was no CCTV around (it was in a car park), wish I had the in-camera now!

Still, its more money you have to fork out for something that shouldn't even happen.

Have you looked into getting it wrapped? I know it won't look like factory but you can get some pretty awesome colours and for around a £1000...

If someone did this to my car and I knew who it was I would be paying them a little visit. As for whither to get CCTV or not, I'd rather spend some money and get it. It shouldn't bother you if nothing ever happened again because at the end of the day CCTV is a deterent. It is more likely that people have seen it and thought twice about doing something.

I'm with Armstrong on this one (you wasn't in the Tour de France were you? ;) ) for the sake of a few quid you it'll help (unless they knick your motor and the CCTV). But its like house alarms, they act as a deterrent and to see a camera would hopefully put people off.

I feel your pain mate, some tit scuffed up my front passenger bumper driving too close and sadly there was no CCTV around (it was in a car park), wish I had the in-camera now!

Still, its more money you have to fork out for something that shouldn't even happen.

Have you looked into getting it wrapped? I know it won't look like factory but you can get some pretty awesome colours and for around a £1000...

---

Hi Guy's - Thank you for all your advice and reply's.

I've had a little look into CCTV in the past and running cables from our house to the our garage would be very expensive, as you can see from the attached screen grab that there is quite a distance between my house and car. Also the camera needed to capture a decent image of anyone coming/going from our close would be in excess of £400. I know this doesn't seem much but after all the cable running and setting up a recording device it'll all add up. It's very annoying.

Screen Shot 2014 08 26 at 120352

I've had a look at wrapping before, however I'm still convinced that I'd like the whole car sanded down, and blasted over. For now I've bought a touch up pen from Audi which my friend is going to plaster on, let it to dry then clay bar down to the original paintwork. Hopefully this should keep me from being so gutted / pi$$ed off every time I look at my poor car.

on the subject of CCTV, I cannot recommend highly enough CCTV42.co.uk. To summarise I ended up buying all sorts of cams from maplin to begin with, then off of ebay upwards of £100 a camera - but the ones sold by cctv42 are by far superior to anything I've ever tested. So to save anyone wasting money as I did over the years, just use those guys.

As far as I know, they were just a Porsche garage but got fed up of cheap cameras for sale, so they decided to invest in their own stuff. Honestly I have nothing to do with them, just hate to know anyone wastes money on these things like I did.

One tip - don't bother with infra-red, it'll just make peoples faces glow white and therefore unrecognisable. Just put a normal pir sensor light near whatever you want covered i.e driveway, and their normal camera is so good at night it'll pick up things clearly. I'd look at the image and think it was daytime if I never looked out the window it's that good. In the past 4 years, I've caught three people and got one convicted of attempted burglarly. The only negative with having cctv is you'll see things you won't ever have seen without it, so you may start to think "what a dodgy area this is" like the attempted burglary or shirt over hand opening car doors. Compared to not knowing and thinking how wonderful everything is

Last edited:
Maybe have a look into fake CCTV, like people have said it'll act as a major deterrent.

- Thanks for the suggestion. This is something i've actually looked at and are probably going to try this method.

on the subject of CCTV, I cannot recommend highly enough CCTV42.co.uk. To summarise I ended up buying all sorts of cams from maplin to begin with, then off of ebay upwards of £100 a camera - but the ones sold by cctv42 are by far superior to anything I've ever tested. So to save anyone wasting money as I did over the years, just use those guys.

As far as I know, they were just a Porsche garage but got fed up of cheap cameras for sale, so they decided to invest in their own stuff. Honestly I have nothing to do with them, just hate to know anyone wastes money on these things like I did.

One tip - don't bother with infra-red, it'll just make peoples faces glow white and therefore unrecognisable. Just put a normal pir sensor light near whatever you want covered i.e driveway, and their normal camera is so good at night it'll pick up things clearly. I'd look at the image and think it was daytime if I never looked out the window it's that good. In the past 4 years, I've caught three people and got one convicted of attempted burglarly. The only negative with having cctv is you'll see things you won't ever have seen without it, so you may start to think "what a dodgy area this is" like the attempted burglary or shirt over hand opening car doors. Compared to not knowing and thinking how wonderful everything is

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately getting power out to where we park the car's is the most difficult bit. As you can see from my screenshot a post of so up it's a fair distance and our garages don't come supplied with electricity so it would be extremely expensive to run cables/power out to the car park. If I had it my way and money wasn't an issue i'd have the car park lit up like a Christmas tree with a camera covering each side of my car, unfortunately it's not possible :( Thanks for the advice.

Sorry to see that :(
But is it worth getting it resprayed? Can't you make a claim through insurance?
Cheers

Sorry to see that :(
But is it worth getting it resprayed? Can't you make a claim through insurance?
Cheers

I've thought about it but I've just managed to get 4 years no claims bonus and because of my age (21) the insurance is expensive anyway. I don't want to ruin it for a personal claim.

I've thought about it but I've just managed to get 4 years no claims bonus and because of my age (21) the insurance is expensive anyway. I don't want to ruin it for a personal claim.

Oh I didn't know it goes against personal claims!!! Does it!!! Are you sure?
Similar thing happened to friend of mine M3's and insurance company paid for and he still has his 7 years NCB!!!

Maybe it's best to give them a ring and find out more...
You said similar incident happened to another guy! Maybe he could backup your claim... or similar thing, however there must be away as this is what you're really paying your premium for?!?! You see what I mean...

Anyway let me know of any updates, I'm curious what would they say...
I'll chase up my friend and see what exactly happened in specific and keep you posted ASAP :)

Cheers