Recommend Tyres

mpc

Reaction score
I have a A4 Avant 2.0 S Line diesel (177bhp) and currently have Michelin pilot sport 3 fitted all round. I find my front wheels at the moment are slipping loads from stand still acceleration. I'm by no means driving hard! I've had the tyres checked out by local tyre centre and been told they are fine from a tread point of view.

What tyres do you guys have fitted and what do you recommend?

I currently have these seem pretty good.
Dunlop SP Sport MAXX GT 245/40 ZR18 93Y

Mind you mine is a Quattro so I don't have wheel slip issues ;)

Check out tyreleader.co.uk as the prices are hard to beat! I can't fault the service and order all my car and bike tyres from them.

This is it 177 horses or rather the low down torques it produces unless it's got a remarkable trick diff it's wheel spin city .

That's why the new B8 Passat 2.0 bi turbo tdi 240PS is 4Motion only .

I had an A5 coupe with 20 inch wheels as a loner while my quattro was having new pistons, the ride was awful, wheelspin all the time and would tram line!

Sorry gone a bit off topic!

Your tyres will probably be fine in a few weeks time when the temperatures start picking up again and the roads aren't so wet / greasy.

Reactions: SI-W85
You already have good tyres on at the moment. I have Dunlop sportmax on and they spin also just swapped wheels and put some new pirelli Pzero on and they spin it's the roads not the tyres as said give it a few weeks until the crap on the roads start to disappear and you will be fine.

Ok thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
Could someone explain to me what tramlining is?

Eagle f1's
Pilot supersports
Vredstien sessanta

Had good results with all these tyres.

Reactions: TahirS
Two things to remember, if you're running a Quattro, keep all 4 tyrs the same including compound, advice direct from Audi's powertrain department, keeps diffs and geaboxes in good order.

Also, say "no" to tyre stretch, fit the right size tyres to you wheels.!!!!!

@GeoffDunk never heard that before. I used to on my b7 but just out of convenience. I've always kept a softer compound on the front to aid with understeer where the opportunity has arose. Can you share any guidance on this please.
I'm loving the new goodyears though

I used to suffer diff scrub in the mornings and when the car was cold and in reverse, i used to hate it so i started reasearching the issue and spoke to so ex-collegues at Audi in the poertrain department and was educated on the reasosns to keep all tyres the same so friction is the same and rotate them regular to even out the wear and protect the diff's from excessive wear also.
Undearstear should be dialed out with geometry/and or mechanical changes ( camber, ARB etc.) My B6 suffered understear so I fitted an RS4 ARB which helped a lot.

My new RS has no understear due to the sports diff. but Audi still recomend all tyres the same with the same compounds.

Running 20" wheels on the RS i still get reverse wheel scrub when backing out of the drive in the morning but its common, Boxters and 911 are even worse but its expected.

@GeoffDunk i thought that diff scrub was normal (which I understand to be the Quattro system adjusting so that you hear and feel slight vibration at low speeds). I think I need to buy Goodyears for the rear now, shame since my contis are almost new. I might try putting them on ebay, I do prefer the Goodyear now though to the pilot sport but can't really say against the contis.
I've habitually had different tyres on the front, often using winter tyres at the rear on bmws, I had a boxster but back then I was a fool and the car always got what the dealer recommended who I now feel don't actually know best. Sometimes I find I share with them things they don't even know (I was in at the weekend checking up on the new RS3- great prices on lease if anyone's interested https://www.contracthireandleasing....-contract-hire-and-leasing/audi/rs3/51083512/ )

Tyre scrub with a torsen based Quattro system is completely normal at full steering lock position.
It's just slight driveline windup/binding due to is being a permanent 4wd system

So I've had my A4 since December, and whilst putting air in recently noticed I have Pirelli on the back, and Continental on the front, I find this odd if Audi recommend the same tyres, same compound on all corners. I also find the Continentals tramline a lot, which I don't like!

I emailed the Audi salesman that sold me it but no reply, (as yet)

My 10 month old used S-Line was supplied with one brand new Nexen 8000 and the rest were the original Pirellis. I did not spot it for a few weeks, so bought another new Nexen to match it. Noise, wear, grip etc are as good as any premium tyre I have used.

It's no biggie I guess, but was surprised Audi dealer sold it with two different brands on it. It's not a Quattro though, which I think the thread relates to?

Also, what is tyre scrub & diff scrub anyone?

i also get a lot of tram lining with the continentals, never had it on the A3

Thanks for the comments,

Maybe I'll swap front for rear tyres until I need to replace them, then I'll get all matching.

Nice to see Audi price match, The Pirellis I looked at on KiwkFit were £50:00 each cheaper for the same, including fitting etc. so if they need replacing by the end of the year, (when the offer runs out), I'll quote them :)

I had Continental Contact Sport 5p's which were great handling tyres. Went for Goodyear Eagle F1's this time which are also great handling and even quieter than the Contis! Defo recommend the Goodyears.

Reactions: skiptowncat