Recaro and carbon joy

Reaction score
I received my new recaros and some bits and bobs on Monday to treat my lower back to a bit of support and my **** to a bit of heat this winter. I knew the seats needed a clean before I bought them but didn't realise they'd be this bad. But after a good going over last night they've cleaned up well. I think I'll have to get at the driver's side again to get it 100% but at least they don't look like they've been pulled out of a skip now. The "after" pictures below actually don't look great because of the reflection of the flash on the damp surfaces.
And to fill my heart with joy I discovered a number of carbon fibre pieces along with the seats and door cards :) I'm yet undecided whether I'm going to keep and fit them or ebay them. probably the latter to pay for a couple of additional, sensible purchases.

rear door cards have window blinds built in, which is nice. I'll not need them for a few months but will have to work out how to attach them to the doors at some point. the shades that is. I know how to attach the door cards to the doors. I have a bag of 20 black plastic thingies and 8 white thingies to be super safe in case I ruin all of the existing ones when I take off the old door cards.

I'm waiting for a smal parcel now to arrive since a couple of bits are missing. 2 ash trays, gear stick surround and little panels from the centre console, the under steering column shelf and the carbon fibre trim from above the light switch.

I also seem to have a set of S4 door sill plate/trims that I will definitely sell. bonus.

excuse the photos, taken in a dark garage of damp seats and dusty parts. I'll update this thread as I put it all together in the car.

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy we have just got the wife a Bora v5 with heated Recaros and were thinking they are Arctic rated cos they outperform the heated leather in my A4.Spent several hours scrubbing with sugar soap and a toothbrush cos they had been neglected but are still good after 12 years and 167k

god bless ze germans and their quality upholstery :) The only bad Audi interior I've had is my 89 to 91 Audi coupes that came with pale velour seats that wore out like a fat man running up a hill

Nice one mate, I look forward to seeing this progress :thumbsup:

Seats do look like they've been dragged out of a skip or used down the local dogging spot.

I like the rear door cards.
any chance of some pictures of the back to see how the blinds attach to the door cards?

Also, I want that arm rest. So much better than the stupid first aid kit I got in my B5.
Hmmm, Do B6 arm rests fit B5s? :)

I'll be watching this for updates, interesting. :)

I've had a few issues but overcame them (with help from the good people on asn as usual). I have photos and will do a full write up as soon as I can. And I'll get decent photos of the back door cards mate.
My current priority though is that I've lost power to the driver's seat. all was going well unit i moved the it all the way forward to check the plastic runner caps weren't obstructing it. then i pushed it all the way back again and it's stopped. lost power. I thought it would just be a fuse but i leant over and the passenger's side has power so I don't know what the issue is. the plugs and wires underneath look fine. nothing looks like it's been damaged. I don't even know if there's a way to manually move the seat forward a bit as I won't be able to drive it as it is. it's now 01:27 and I need to be moving about 07:30. I'm praying that i'm just being tired and stupid again and it's not something serious. But since it has lost all power for movement I don't think it's a fried motor because there must be more than 1 in there. And the wiring for the heating is separate so I don't believe it's related to the new wiring I did today.

incidentally I only tried for a few second but the heating didn't work just after I did the wiring and I noticed an error code before relating to the climate control unit so I think I might have to do some vcds work too

scrub that. it's under the steering column beside 2 silver (thermal?) fuses. only red 10amp in plain sight. not sure if there's one in the passenger side behind the kick plate/trim for the passenger's seat too as per american cars?

and the heating is working. maybe I didn't give it enough time when I tried it last night

You moved the seat forward and it worked, moved it back and its dead?
There is no movement on the seat at all?
All fuses are ok?
No chance of the cable being ripped out when you moved the seat forward?

you must have been typing that message about the same time as I was typing mine mate :)
It was just the cheeky little 10amp fuse under the steering column. In all my pre-mod planning I hadn't seen/heard that the fuse was under there rather than in the fuse box, which got the better of me at a silly time this morning out in the cold. It would definitely be better to use a nice big, dry, warm garage with plenty of space but that's something I just don't have right now.
At least 2 mornings in a row the answer has presented itself after a bit of sleep :)

Respect for even trying this at midnight in the Finnish winter :anbet:

you know me. why do it the easy way when it can be done in maxmum discomfort with the least convenience?
I went to take out the rear setas tonight and came across 2 problems. The metal studs that the rear seats lock onto at each side require a deep 17mm socket but deeper than your average deep socket it seems. I tried with my normal 3/8" drive deep 17, my 1/2 drive deep imapct socket and a range of other tools. spanners don't quite get the angle, although I managed to get one side off quite easily with a ring ended "banana" spanner. the other side didn't shift though so I'll need to search for a solution in the local auto shop tomorrow.

then also, more concerning is that the new seats don't have the recesses for the brackets that hold the load cover for the boot. I'm going to start a new, proper mod thread and get you to can this thread james so I'll post all pics in there. The only thing that was simple was lifting the rear bench out. only simple thing I've ever found in that car, as I've seen posted on other forums too. so everything was put back together again and another hour and a bit in the dark was wasted.