Recall - Auxiliary Heater Thermal Overload

fast-ferret

Reaction score
Just read this:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-recalls-127-million-cars-worldwide

From the article:

Audi is recalling 1.27 million cars across the world, with A4, A5, A5 Cabriolet and Q5 models built between April 2011 and May 2015 affected.

The recall is due to the risk of a fire caused by "thermal overload occurring at the plug connectors of the electrical connections in the auxiliary heater due to friction corrosion", Audi states. Incorrect coatings on the contacts are also to blame.

I thought the technical term was "fretting", better quality coating of the connector terminal pins will only improve things, I'd guess, which works with warranties I suppose.

Doesn’t affect UK cars as they don’t have an auxiliary heater. Only cold weather climates/markets.

Reactions: ruairi83, Bristle Hound and DieselJake
Doesn’t affect UK cars as they don’t have an auxiliary heater. Only cold weather climates/markets.

I was waiting for someone to tell me something such as that :) I hadn’t looked in to it massively yet, good to hear.

Is the aux heater the bit that sits behind the front middle two vents? Seem to recall reading that only diesels had them or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auxiliary heaters burn diesel to create heat in colder climates.

What we have are “supplementary heaters”. These are electric heaters used to warm up the air quicker, as it takes the coolant longer to heat up in a diesel

The problem is related with the electric heaters.
Yesterday I received a letter from Audi dealership in order to schedule the heater fix.
I live in a warm country (Portugal), so you should be contacted too..

I suspect it is the auxiliary electrical heater, rather than the auxiliary fuel burning heater, the UK cars have the electrical one, this draws a very large current in operation.
Land Rover recalled Freelander models early on after many went up in flames following a faulty PTC ceramic heater, the model on those was drawing 100amps on startup so the connections were getting hammered.

I presume Audi will get everyone’s contact deatails they need through the dvla?

I’ve never been into the dealership so they won’t have my details

We've not had a letter through yet, but our car (A5 2.0 TDi Quatro) is currently in the dealers for this today after the wife phoned up to get it booked in for the first MOT.

Audi will be able to get your details from DVLA, but you might want to check your chassis number to see if you are affected and call them first.

had a letter from Audi in regards the heater,had it replaced under recall status and software I believe...takes a few hours apparently,but they gave me a cortesy overnight..

My letter came yesterday. I too was under the impression that it was a stand-alone heater & not fitted to my car in the UK but was confused as to the option of the settings in the MMI.
Seeing as it’s set to “Off” anyway, I’ll leave it until it goes in for the recall.

FB1494DD 4A6A 40C9 A7DB 3A4605423451