Recall after Recall on trailing arm lock nuts

I’ve already had mine done and (4) hours later was back on the road…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

мы не ценим спам здесь. пожалуйста уходите. Вы зря тратите время на англоязычный форум. да, я говорю по-русски, но я сомневаюсь, что кто-то другой говорит.

I’ve already had mine done and (4) hours later was back on the road…

Does ur car feel any different ? Only had my car a month (built 03/20)and it doesn’t feel anything like as sure planted on the rear end as my old 67 plate A5 252bhp Quattro , very weird feeling on 30mhp roads with pot holes like it steps out when u go over them, motorway driving is smooth so maybe it does need 4 wheel alignment after it was done , it shows on my service record that that recall 42l1 was done in Nov 21 the car only done 1k miles since then and I’ve done 400 of them .

They said they were required to not only do the realignment but they also had to recalibrate all,of my cameras hence why (4) hours. I’m on snow tires right now so it’s not really the best time to judge how it handles lol.

The first recall knocked my wheel alignment out, the second recall put it right and they replaced the rear tyres that were wearing round the edges.

Reactions: DRkNESS
I had same - wheel alignment out after axel bolt recall. Ride was terrible after with lateral movement over pot holes. Wear on tyres shocking - they replaced all 4 for free when they realigned- not bad as I was only about 2k from needing new tyres anyway!!

Yes if they are doing the recall, the alignment must also be done in my opinion..

So, am I getting this right?

A recall to fix an issue caused by a previous recall? Who's running the show at Audi HQ? Mickey Mouse?

So called Audi today to book my car in and told the lady that the car doesn’t seem right on the rear end also told her about tyre wear being uneven, I mention the recalls 42l5 and she came back with sorry sir that doesn’t effect ur car so we will change u to perform the recalibration

So called Audi today to book my car in and told the lady that the car doesn’t seem right on the rear end also told her about tyre wear being uneven, I mention the recalls 42l5 and she came back with sorry sir that doesn’t effect ur car so we will change u to perform the recalibration
The original recall covered A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Q5, Q7, Q8, E-TRON that were manufactured between 7 November 2019 and 16 April 2021. Because of the pandemic some built cars sat around for a long time in compounds waiting to be registered so its Worth checking your cars actual build date if you’ve not done so already. Vin nos for affected A6 models are WAUZZZF23LN045478 to WUAZZZF27MN905440

you can also use the government mot checker site to see if a vechike has any outstanding safety recalls just by tying in the car reg.

Last edited:
The original recall impacted 10000+ cars, the second only 5327.

Vins for the second we’re between WAUZZZF20LN045504 and WUAZZZF27MN905440 if that helps

My car was built late March 2021 and its VIN starts WAUZZZF28 and therefore is outside the range indicated, so I suspect the 16th April 2021 date is probably beyond the actual end date for affected cars but set to catch any cars where VINs were allocated but for some reason build was delayed

My Vin is WAUZZZF26LN076532 so does it qualify?
Would look like it is

My car was built late March 2021 and its VIN starts WAUZZZF28 and therefore is outside the range indicated, so I suspect the 16th April 2021 date is probably beyond the actual end date for affected cars but set to catch any cars where VINs were allocated but for some reason build was delayed

Would look like it is
My VIN starts WAUZZZF21 but it was built Dec 2021. I'm confused if yours is 28 but older than mine or are VINs not allocated numerically.

After some investigation, this may help
Screenshot 2022 04 30 at 105933

Would seem the "1" in your VIN and the "8" in mine is simply a check digit. Therefore back to the original point, the affected cars are those between 045478 and 905440 band but even those numbers may not be truly sequential if Audi has other coding within that section of the VIN.

You would think if it’s a A6 C8 then you would think that they are all the same if you are replacing the nuts on the eccentric bolts of the rear axle control arm then you should recalibrate the suspension geometry

You would think if it’s a A6 C8 then you would think that they are all the same if you are replacing the nuts on the eccentric bolts of the rear axle control arm then you should recalibrate the suspension geometry
The original problem was due to a faulty nut in the rear axle assembly. As part of the repair, dealerships should have inspected the alignment of the rear axle, but the repair instructions provided by Audi didn’t tell them to do so. As a result, the rear axle may be misaligned and the rear tYpres could wear prematurely. Drivers may also notice that the steering wheel is misaligned and/or the vehicle pulls to one side while braking or accelerating.

Audi’s initial repair instructions to dealerships didn’t include checking the vehicle’s alignment and apparently was only added to the instructions on Nov. 20, 2021, so vehicles repaired after that date aren’t included in the recall hence the difference in the numbers between the two recalls.

Think it would be worth confirming with the dealer if you’ve not done so already exactly when the original recall work was done or check with Audi Uk why the car is subject to the follow up recall

Do you think Coventry Audi would have followed the updated recall if it was revised just 9 days earlier?

It’s impossible to be certain but I’d be surprised if they hadn’t on the basis of:
1 - it’s a safety recall and there would implications if it was missed
2 - this stuff is all online and the techs just follow the instructions on screen + they get a time for the job and how to bill Audi for the work

If your not happy I would ask to speak to the service manager and ask them to specifically confirm what was done to the car. If Listers is like Sytner (my local dealership) then they have a central call centre to answer all calls and all they do is read stuff off a screen. Better still if possible pop in and ask to see them - usually find dealing with someone face to face is much easier

My car a Audi approved used car , it was serviced by Coventry Audi but sold to me from Halesowen Audi but my local dealership is Derby Audi ! Bit difficult to pop it to Coventry dealership lol

My car a Audi approved used car , it was serviced by Coventry Audi but sold to me from Halesowen Audi but my local dealership is Derby Audi ! Bit difficult to pop it to Coventry dealership lol
You could always call with your reg/vin and ask?

The system is centralised. Derby Audi should be able to tell you what work was done. Cov are listers, Halesowen are jardine group, derby are styner but all work should be recorded on the same system.

When I come back off my holiday I’m going down to the dealership and ask for the service manager I think

Reactions: abmat and Frizzley
so called all 3 dealerships about it rear uneven tyre wear over the the last 2 weeks and got no where ! Ever called audi uk and they said my car that my car isn't included in recall 42L5 and would help ! So its not looking for getting anything carried out from Audi.
To say i'm ****** off is a understatement anyone the cost of having the alignment ? my car has only the pre sense camera

I think the likes of KwikFit and National Tyres charge about £50 for a Hunter 4 wheel alignment. However whilst you say you only have the pre-sense camera, all C8s have lane assist so you will need to find someone who is able/willing to carry out alignment for cars with this feature (KF currently say they are not doing cars with ADAS, which would include Lane Assist)

Reactions: mickwillow
my s5 had this 2nd Recall last week. I have side assist/ lane assist and every ADAS option possible on the car .. whilst they replaced all 4 tyres under warranty and made new wheel alignment , no camera calibration done / needed . Why would this be needed on the A6 ?

Bit of a update ! So I’ve been to Kwik fit and had the car checked for alignment and both rear wheels are out on alignment !
Call Audi uk back and told them of the results but wouldn’t have any of it ! I still believe my car should be in line for the 42l5 recall but they refused!
Audi uk have just said get the car booked for a alignment and recalibration at derby which cost £55 for the check plus £495 for alignment and recalibration !
Surely my car must meet the requirements for recall 42l5 , I have proof the alignment is out, the cars only done 2500 miles since 42l1 and my rear tyres are wearing unevenly and Audi Coventry where the recall was done have said the car has not had a alignment check !

Attachments

• 2F7464AA-0A47-4BB7-9498-4A5E38E5567C.png
    2F7464AA-0A47-4BB7-9498-4A5E38E5567C.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 83
Final update, So after 5 months of trying to get audi uk to perform the recall 42L5 I,ve failed. So car was booked in at Audi Derby for the alignment checks to be carried out as requested by Audi uk , but because of the tyre wear on the rear and the greater depth of the 6 month old tyres on the front , they said that the car would require 4 new tyres before the alignment check as its out of Audi’s tolerance, which I would have to pay for! just seemed I was screwed, couldn’t go forward without this being carried out so 4 new tyres it was (£990)
Low and behold after Audi Derby had carried out the alignment check they too found that the rear wheel were out on alignment and the tech agreed that it was looking likely when the first recall was carried out the alignment was probably not done, and would relay this back to Audi uk ! Great I thought.
so another week went by before Audi Uk contacted me, great I thought! here’s me think that this was going to be good news as it‘s Andrew Doyle executive office calling, but no Audi UK disappointingly refused to accept that the car would be inline for the recall 42L5 for the missed alignment checks after the recall 42L1.
so yes Audi Uk had rejected my claim that recall 42L1 had caused the resulting rear wear on my car , but as good will gesture Audi Uk would refund the cost of the tyres because of the tyre wear (£990) but wouldn’t cover the cost of the 4 wheel alignment and recalibration which ended up costing me £480. To me if Audi uk was refunding me the tyre cost, surely the cost of alignment should be covered too ?, or is it that Audi Uk doesn’t want to admit fault for poor workmanship!
The car now feels much more planted driving now which is great but how I feel about Audi’ Uk levels of customer service is appalling and has left me so disappointed in the whole business.
Because all I wanted was that my new used car (23months old) which I only had for 5 weeks to be fixed as it did after all have a Audi warranty. but I would like to thank Derby Audi for trying their best

Final update, So after 5 months of trying to get audi uk to perform the recall 42L5 I,ve failed. So car was booked in at Audi Derby for the alignment checks to be carried out as requested by Audi uk , but because of the tyre wear on the rear and the greater depth of the 6 month old tyres on the front , they said that the car would require 4 new tyres before the alignment check as its out of Audi’s tolerance, which I would have to pay for! just seemed I was screwed, couldn’t go forward without this being carried out so 4 new tyres it was (£990)
Low and behold after Audi Derby had carried out the alignment check they too found that the rear wheel were out on alignment and the tech agreed that it was looking likely when the first recall was carried out the alignment was probably not done, and would relay this back to Audi uk ! Great I thought.
so another week went by before Audi Uk contacted me, great I thought! here’s me think that this was going to be good news as it‘s Andrew Doyle executive office calling, but no Audi UK disappointingly refused to accept that the car would be inline for the recall 42L5 for the missed alignment checks after the recall 42L1.
so yes Audi Uk had rejected my claim that recall 42L1 had caused the resulting rear wear on my car , but as good will gesture Audi Uk would refund the cost of the tyres because of the tyre wear (£990) but wouldn’t cover the cost of the 4 wheel alignment and recalibration which ended up costing me £480. To me if Audi uk was refunding me the tyre cost, surely the cost of alignment should be covered too ?, or is it that Audi Uk doesn’t want to admit fault for poor workmanship!
The car now feels much more planted driving now which is great but how I feel about Audi’ Uk levels of customer service is appalling and has left me so disappointed in the whole business.
Because all I wanted was that my new used car (23months old) which I only had for 5 weeks to be fixed as it did after all have a Audi warranty. but I would like to thank Derby Audi for trying their best
I've only just come across this thread but I suspect this issue has affected my car as it falls within the VIN range and I was having problems with uneven tyre wear when I bought it approved used about 6 months ago.

I've since had all four tyres replaced and the selling dealership paid for two of them as they needed changing within a month of buying the car (shredded on the inside) and I paid for the other two more recently because the same thing was happening again after a few months.

They similarly refused to pay for the alignment to be done even though it would have made sense to cover this as they were already paying to replace the two damaged tyres. The alignment ended up being left for a few months while a complaint with Audi UK was ongoing but I recently paid for it to be done at my local Audi dealership (not the selling dealer) and the wheel is now not straight and it also seems to have affected the lane guidance. They also damaged my car while it was in with them and were then very rude to me when I complained so this has continued the case with Audi UK which is still ongoing.

I suspect the first recall (42L1) was carried out on my car before I bought it but the second recall (42L5) was not done to correct the alignment and the resulting problems with uneven tyre wear were caused by this. Hopefully despite the steering wheel now being slightly off centre the cause of the uneven tyre wear issue has at least been addressed but I can't be sure.

Does anyone know how I can find out what recalls were done on the car and when because I don't really want to call my local dealership to ask for their help at the moment as the complaint is still ongoing?

Last edited:
I've only just come across this thread but I suspect this issue has affected my car as it falls within the VIN range and I was having major issues with uneven tyre wear when I bought it approved used about 6 months ago.

I've since had all four tyres replaced and the selling dealership paid for two of them as they needed changing within a month of buying the car (shredded on the inside) and I paid for the other two more recently because the same thing was happening again after a few months.

They similarly refused to pay for the alignment to be done even though it would have made sense to cover this as they were paying for the two damaged tyres. The alignment ended up being left for a few months while a complaint with Audi UK was ongoing but I recently got it done at my local Audi dealership (not the selling dealer) and the wheel is now not straight. They also damaged my car while it was in with them and were then very rude to me when I complained so this has continued the complaint with Audi UK which is still ongoing.

I suspect the first recall (42L1) was carried out on my car before I bought it but the second recall (42L5) was not done to correct the alignment and the resulting problems with uneven tyre wear were caused by this. Hopefully despite the steering wheel being slightly out of alignment the cause of the uneven tyre wear issue has been addressed now but I can't be sure.

Does anyone know how I can find out what recalls were done on the car and when because I don't really want to call my local dealership to ask for their help at the moment as the complaint is still ongoing?
you could try looking at the service history for the car which you can find in the service tab of the my Audi app.

Any work done on the car can usually be found in there

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have the my Audi app. Does anyone know another way of accessing the history of recalls carried out on the car please?

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have the my Audi app. Does anyone know another way of accessing the history of recalls carried out on the car please?
You can also access the same info via the myaudi.com portal. You would need to set up at account first though.

An Audi dealer should also tell you what recalls have been performed on your car if you ask

An Audi dealer should also tell you what recalls have been performed on your car if you ask
Thanks, I'll probably try another dealership and hopefully they can tell me which recalls were carried out (and when).