Recall affecting CREC engines (2014+ S5)

Nice spot!
Your reply about the paranoia surrounding the competence of Audi techs both made me laugh and agree
@Dippy

Any one else booked/had theirs done?
Mine is booked for the 13th April :S ... I am genuinely scared being one of the first few that they might have no idea what they are doing and fudge it lol

I'm waiting for a recall notice before I decide what to do.

Just typed my reg in on the Gov website a msg popped up 'Outstanding recall found There's an outstanding manufacturer's safety recall on AUDI A5. The vehicle has been recalled since at least 1 April 2019'. I only brought the car less than a year.... Anyway booked in also on the 15th Apr, according to them if I remember correctly it showing on their system 'fuel escaping from the rails due to low pressure' which is exactly what you said Dippy.

Last edited:
I'm booked in for an Engine Mount Solenoid to be replaced under warranty tomorrow, getting the recall done at the same time.

JG

Reactions: Meemo
I believe that's the first engine mount problem I have read about on this forum. I have read about a few on Audizine and was hoping that it only affects earlier cars. Now with your 2016 car affected it looks like that's another issue which might hit me in the future :(

Just typed my reg in on the Gov website a msg popped up 'Outstanding recall found There's an outstanding manufacturer's safety recall on AUDI A5. The vehicle has been recalled since at least 1 April 2019'. I only brought the car less than a year.... Anyway booked in also on the 15th Apr, according to them if I remember correctly it showing on their system 'fuel escaping from the rails due to low pressure' which is exactly what you said Dippy.

Actually its a risk of a small fuel leak from a low pressure fuel rail due to a possible defect in the welding during manufacture.

Reactions: I oOEddOo I and Meemo
I believe that's the first engine mount problem I have read about on this forum. I have read about a few on Audizine and was hoping that it only affects earlier cars. Now with your 2016 car affected it looks like that's another issue which might hit me in the future :(

Hopefully mines is a one off Dippy and just a blip in the Audi Matrix. :yes:

JG

Part of me wants to supply them the smaller pulleys as they are already taking the supercharger off.. technically it is no further cost to them so could haggle that in ... :p but at the same time I do not trust them enough with that job incase they give it back with the normal ones back on because they forget or something

Part of me wants to supply them the smaller pulleys as they are already taking the supercharger off.. technically it is no further cost to them so could haggle that in ... :p but at the same time I do not trust them enough with that job incase they give it back with the normal ones back on because they forget or something

Think I would get someone who knows what they're doing to fit the smaller pulleys, as this is seen as a modification, and we all know Audi don't like/do modifications.............. :whistle2:

JG

Is anyone actually supplying a smaller bolt-on pulley for the CREC anyway?

I was thinking MRC do them?
Their stage 2 package has been on my list for the near future, which is why I thought 'hmm well Audi will already have the super charger off anyway.. two birds one stone?'
but I agree I barely trust Audi with this job as it is, still 50/50 on pulling out and leaving it untill I smell fuel! lol

MRC do stage 2 by replacing the crank pulley. They don't touch the supercharger pulley.

Fuel Rails replaced, no issues when fitting according to Audi Tech. :icon thumright:

@Dippy, I spoke to them re how often they replace engine mounts on FL S5's apparently I'm their first, don't know if that's good thing or not, suppose it's good because it was replaced under warranty, got them to check the other side, all good.

JG

@JG51 AUD I seen you have the 034 gearbox mount thing on your car?

Could this put extra stress on the motor mounts?

Just a thought, but guessing no way to tell. More likely to be a one off.. or one of my many brain farts.

Reactions: RS5 JON
@JG51 AUD I seen you have the 034 gearbox mount thing on your car?

Could this put extra stress on the motor mounts?

Just a thought, but guessing no way to tell. More likely to be a one off.. or one of my many brain farts.

Yes I got it mate, had it on my A5 for two years prior to fitting it to the S5, didn't have any engine mount problems with the A5, so don't think it's an issue on the S5. TBH, I've not heard of any engine mount issues on FL S5's, hopefully it was just one bad one in the batch.

JG

Thanks for the post JG. That's useful info about the mount so I'll worry less. I did do some research on the transmission mount and there is no doubt in my mind that by putting a stiffer insert in will reduce shock damping so I guess @MuPPeT_ON_TouR's idea is a valid one. I may be lucky and I still have absolutely no idea of the problem that others have which are solved with the insert. My gearbox has always been smooth. And I do have experience of transmission issues - my B5 S4 did suffer from shunt and I have a brace fitted to help with that.

It's also good to know of one successful recall done. I want to know of ones done on stage 2 cars before I have mine done. Of course as of now Audi haven't contacted me about the recall so there is no safety issue is there?

Thanks for the post JG. That's useful info about the mount so I'll worry less. I did do some research on the transmission mount and there is no doubt in my mind that by putting a stiffer insert in will reduce shock damping so I guess @MuPPeT_ON_TouR's idea is a valid one. I may be lucky and I still have absolutely no idea of the problem that others have which are solved with the insert. My gearbox has always been smooth. And I do have experience of transmission issues - my B5 S4 did suffer from shunt and I have a brace fitted to help with that.

It's also good to know of one successful recall done. I want to know of ones done on stage 2 cars before I have mine done. Of course as of now Audi haven't contacted me about the recall so there is no safety issue is there?

Audi didn't contact me regarding recall, I saw your post on it and as my car was going in for replacement engine mount, I told them to do it while it was in.
Suggest you give them a call, you'll wait for ever for them to get in touch with you.............

I think the Trans Mount is more for manual gearboxes, but as I had it from my A5 I fitted it to the S5, o34 MotorSport advertise it for both Manual & Auto.

JG

No, I'm happy to wait. I checked my fuel rails carefully and am very sure they are not leaking. I also did a web search for reports on actual leaks on this engine and only found one and it wasn't a CREC. So I suspect this recall is due to actual incident(s) with rails on other engine(s) and the same manufacturer who made those rails also made the CREC rails and is unable to guarantee that they are problem free, hence the recall, and hence why Audi are not being proactive about it - they have been forced to do it. Since I have the stage 2 I am waiting to learn how well or not the recall is done on other stage 2 cars before I have mine done. Until I receive the recall notice there is no safety risk (legally that is).

sounds like a picnic case at least.. Problem In Chair Not In Computer... i.e the techs.

I used chandlers ford Audi, and I then did an oil service when I got it back home the same day so that I could have a look around to make sure no missing bolts/shoddy refits and it looked OK to me.
Appreciate it is not your closest but we both use MDM usually so assume you could travel if it's to find a tried and tested dealer for the recall.
They also listened to my 'do not wash' request which usually falls on deaf ears elsewhere!

So apparently the dealer found that it is the thermostat which is leaking coolant, and that's not part of the 24DP work.

This adds credence to "if it isn't broken don't try to fix it" and my argument about not servicing aircon.

I got my safety recall notice today. I think I shall write to my 3 nearest Audi dealers and ask for comment on doing the job on a modified car and what experience they have of doing the 24DP recall. I can then make my choice depending on the responses.