Reasons I should buy an A3....

Kriminal

Reaction score
I'm at wits end looking for the 'perfect' A3 for me, and was needing convincing why I should by an A3.

At the moment I own this TT....

DSC000871.jpg

....and the only couple of reasons I wanna sell up is that a) I've owned the car for just over 3 1/2 years now (my longest ever!), and b) it's averaging 29 mpg's. I guess it's mainly the length of time that I've had the car that's making me 'itch' for a new motor.

As I'm now doing about 140 miles a week, I'm feeling that I need something a bit more practical, so was considering an A3 Sportback TDi (S-line). I test drove the 140 bhp one the other week, and was pleasantly pleased with the pulling power, as although I own a TT I'm not a boy-racer - I just buy a car for the styling and build.....probably the main reason I want to stay with a German car too.

I keep verging on wanting a White A3, but can't seem to find any in Bristol, or nearby for the price I can afford - including p/x £14,000 MAX.

I also can't decide which is better - Sportback or 3 door.

So, can you guys please help me decided where to start. All 'show-it-off' pics are welcome :cool:

When you say
A bit more practical
I'm guessing you just mean milage wise.

The SB would definately be your better option if you have kids / frequent passengers, but if not then I suppose the 3 door would suit you better. I have the 170 SB, on long journeys (250 ish) it averages around 45 + mpg

Within this thread are mine and N8s SBs... see what you think...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?91658-Finally-back

Good luck and hope you choose right :icon_thumright:

PS Liking your current TT too :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
loving your TT, I was looking at one before my A3 but just not big enough to get us all in. I looked at the SB and 3 door and opted for the 3 door even though I have a family. The SB has the easier access with being 5 door but I wanted another 3 door car. For us its been great! The 140 is a great engine and will better your present mpg. Hope you find what you are after, keep us posted!

Given White cars have only become popular again in the last 12 months you'll be hard pushed to find one in budget, and if you do you'll have to travel far I reckon.

Good luck

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I'm still kinda sitting on the fence between SB and 3 door though <hmmm>.....it's interesting though how you guys have managed to turn around a car that, when I looked Yesterday at the Dealer's, seemed just kinda 'okay'. I think that's the main problem that I'm having at the moment, is that I want another 'looker', and the ones sitting on the forecourts with their standard suspension and wheels (sitting too far IN the arches) just don't tick the boxes, and I'm finding it real difficult to see the potential past the 'mist'.

One off the things that shook me up a bit, and gave me another reason to change, is that my Dad got diagnosed with cancer last August - in fact, he has two : prostate and bone cancer.

I kinda looked at the TT and thought, sh!t, if I need to take him anywhere, should the time come that he's not able to get around on his own, he'll never have a chance of getting in and out of it - I'm not sure if he'll manage that well with it right now to be honest.

So, that's yet another reason I wanted to shift to a sensible/practical car, and have spent months looking around on the internet for 'other' cars, and always keep coming back to Audi...lol

I love the A3, both inside and out, but like I put above, the ones sitting on the forecourt just don't excite me enough to look at, and I need to try harder to see the potential.

Apart from my parents, I'm a single guy, so have no REAL need for back seats, whilst my Dad is still okay - he could be fine for yeeeears to come too, so part of me thinks I might be worrying a little too much too soon about things, but personally I still fancy that change.

scottie : that Mauritius Blue looks so much better than ones I've seen on forecourts too - you've given me another colour to think about now (my head is spinning), and I love the black surround on the grille - I've seen it before, but wouldn't have thought it would be THAT good on a blue motor....you've proved me wrong :applaus:

theobtt : yeah right ! You know I'd love an S3, but I think the mpg's aren't going to serve me well...lol

Sarah : I cannot understand why Audi bothered to stick the seats in the back of the TT apart from making it possible for them to call it a 'family coupe'. They are absolutely pointless to be honest, and you've certainly made the right decision by not getting one for that reason alone.

One last question for the moment : has anyone used Germania in Newport ? - they're only about 45 minutes from where I live, and they seem to have a nice selection of German motors, including Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Porsche, etc. It's just that I bought my TT from across the bridge, as the prices over there are a fair bit less than in Bristol, and they seem to have more selection too.

Sorry to hear about you dad mate. Never an easy thing to deal with.

Stay positive and I'm sure everything will be ok.:icon_thumright:

And I agree, it is very hard to visualise a cars potential on a forecourt. Just take some time and look through the pics thread on here and you will see some great examples of what is possible with the 8p chassis.

Happy browsing!

I know you Kriminal your off the TT forum! Next time in Bristol I'll show you mine, the interior will convince you! Pic of mine from about 2 weeks ago :wub:

IMG00078-20100327-1616800x600.jpg

Sorry to hear about your dad, a hard time for sure.

There are loads of choices of A3s but as you said not many to make your heart race. Took me ages to find mine but I could see through the mist! As Scottie said there are loads of pics in threads on here to wet your appetite! Just dont rush into it, take your time, a good one will come along, or at least something to put a glint in your eye. Good luck hunting!

I know you Kriminal your off the TT forum! Next time in Bristol I'll show you mine, the interior will convince you! Pic of mine from about 2 weeks ago :wub:

LOL.....no escaping the Audi clan with a name like Krim huh ? Yeah, drop me a pm if you're heading into sunny Bristol....it'll be great to see an A3 in the flesh that's not 'box-standard-forecourt-stuff'.

PS. looking at your pic, does your car have tyres, or is just rolling on rubber bands wrapped around those wide rims ? :cool:

LOL.....no escaping the Audi clan with a name like Krim huh ? Yeah, drop me a pm if you're heading into sunny Bristol....it'll be great to see an A3 in the flesh that's not 'box-standard-forecourt-stuff'.

PS. looking at your pic, does your car have tyres, or is just rolling on rubber bands wrapped around those wide rims ? :cool:

Yeh I will do lad no worries, just 215/35s on 8.5J, nice stretch, no rubbing = win

Sorry to hear about your dad, a hard time for sure.

There are loads of choices of A3s but as you said not many to make your heart race. Took me ages to find mine but I could see through the mist! As Scottie said there are loads of pics in threads on here to wet your appetite! Just dont rush into it, take your time, a good one will come along, or at least something to put a glint in your eye. Good luck hunting!

Sarah : I've just had a sift through the pic-whoring threads, and it's made things worse :laugh:

Now I can't make a single decision as to which colour's the best, and whether 3 door is better or worse than 5 door....lol

My brain is just pumping full off blood trying to decide - at least, on the bright side I know I want an A3 2.0 TDi S-Line - THAT's for sure ;)

It took me a good eight months to find the TT. Again, it was a matter of me being really choosy about what I wanted, and what I'd be happy with....I'd hate to get a car and then think "it's nice, but it's not EXACTLY what I wanted". Patience will be my best friend

If your TT was a roadster i'd have done you a swap!

If your TT was a roadster i'd have done you a swap!

I'm sure angle grinders will get through the posts, and then a nice sheet of tarpaulin should do the trick for the roof :lmfao:

Just kiddin', off course. Bloomin' shame that though.

N8 : budget of £13k max (that includes my TT as p/ex) - could possibly be swayed to £14k if the dream machine was knocking on my door.