rear wipers come on when i engage reverse gear

Alva78

team Nano, Black Styling package H&R 8mm spacers
Reaction score
Has any one had his happen?.i have a a3 3 door black edition 2009 tdi.it.The rear wiper on turns once has had a service recently but cannot remember if happened after the service .I not too concerned but worried if it is the start of other problems.Can anyone shed any light on this.The rear wiper only turns once or every time i engage reverse gear.

Normal, its coded to do this & its merely a safety feature for making sure you have a clear view as such.

Believe it is a feature (not a problem). When you select reverse gear, the wiper operates just to give you a nice clear view of what you will run into. Great idea by Audi. Don't mind it a bit! Cheers.

Reactions: phil76
Thanks to all ,it did not do it before so the Audi service must have cleared the coding issue,mind you £147 an hour i might have to go to an independant from now on...

Believe it is a feature (not a problem). When you select reverse gear, the wiper operates just to give you a nice clear view of what you will run into. Great idea by Audi. Don't mind it a bit! Cheers.

Isn't just audi....

My W reg Rover 25 did this..... (My first car btw don't hate!! We have all been young once )

With mine it will only single sweep in reverse gear if I've turned the front wipers on first so as I have to reverse off my drive way it's always worked that way,no wipes on no single sweep

Mine does this - I am going to keep quiet about the previous cars I had that did it too :)

Most annoying feature in the world, makes you have to clean the car because you have a clean patch while the rest of the window is dirty

Reactions: Boon
Only sweeps when the front wipers are engaged if its coded to work

But I turned mine off for the above reason! Never use the rear wiper, G1 keeps it clear :p

Tried to alter mine and its not there to activate

Normal, its coded to do this & its merely a safety feature for making sure you have a clear view as such.

In VCDS, is it possible to disable this feature but not disable the rear wiper all together?

Mines a 2005 and does this, I hate it and am going to get it coded out.. drives me nuts, masive wiper patch over my rear screen...

The reason is because you have pushed forward the wiper leveller this activates the rear wiper every time u revers

The reason is because you have pushed forward the wiper leveller this activates the rear wiper every time u revers

I push my stalk forward and it sweeps the screen then a delay and then sweeps again.

I have auto headlights and wipers.. Mine only does it when auto wipers are turned on (wiper stick is up first click)

Mine does this on auto wipers. Have to say doesn't bother me that much.

Dirty window bothers me, not being able to see anything would be more irritating.

Most annoying feature in the world, makes you have to clean the car because you have a clean patch while the rest of the window is dirty

So this feature then clicks in your O.C.D feature ? cant they both be coded out ?