Rear wiper washer not working? 2004 8p

R55 MRU

Reaction score
Was working fine no problems until the big snow freeze weather when it stopped. Front ones are fine water was not frozen. Although now the ice etc has gone the rear one still does by work.

Is it possible that it has blown a hose off somewhere due to blockage or part had frozen in te cold weather? Any help cheers people

Rear wiper is fuse No.41 in the end of the dash panel drivers side 15a

Hi Russ,

The most likely cause with the rear wiper is that the nozzles is blocked. Audi will tell you that the solution in standard wiper wash solution is too thick and if it gets time to congeal it will block the nozzles, your washer pipes probably didn't freeze (due to the alcohol in the washer fluid) however, the actual nozzles probably did freeze. This would have left solution sitting in the nozzles for a while during the bad weather where it may have congealed.
Audi will tell you to use only Audi solution at around £8.00 per litr (pre mixed) to avoid this happening again.
I cant remember the reason but it tends to be the rear wiper only that suffers from this, possibly because the front is used constantly no matter what the conditions are.
To unblock mine i use a long pin, usually does the job.

Best of luck with that.

If the wiper works then it's likely that the hose has popped off. If you push the washer switch can you hear the pump working ?

Don't do it for long because water will be everywhere inside the boot lid liner and you will have a problem with the locking mechanism.

70ec2677.jpg

I tried the washer no water comes out but this brown gunge a tiny bit. No water spilling into the boot area?

Ok got both nozzles spraying but both don't always operate at once so I'm guessing the screenwash is intact to thick. I'll try with clear water and see if it's any different

ahah, Seen that before!

It may not show in the boot but as fossie mentioned it will run down inner boot lining and collect in the boot locking mechanism which you don't want as there is a connector in there which it will leak into and then you will have probs with your boot lid sensor saying it is open when it's shut and the alarm sounding because of this.

Take off the boot lining (you'll need a torque driver, can't remember the size) and look at the motor, check to make sure there is no water leaking from it. that brown gunk is exactly what was in the rear washer of mine when the seals went. If you are lucky there will be no leaking. Next step, take off the cover plate of the motor, you will see that the hose for the washer push fits onto the motor assembly and that seal i think will be your problem, the rust is off the small cogs in the washer mechanism me thinks. Not sure if you can get new seals for the inner plug or the cover plate but you may be able to, failing that it's a new wiper mech..

Let us know how you get on

Just read ya last post, nice one!, worth checking the washer mech too though just to be safe.

Had all of the above problems on mine as it seems one thing leads to another.

Deffinetly will check them mate how do I pull off the rear boot lining I can get out the two torx screws but te plastic cover is stuck on solid

It's not stuck solid - just feels like it !

You need to pull very hard to loosen the spring clips. Start at one side nearest the rear screen and jerk down.

It will release eventually and then do the other side. It is held on with about 6 spring clips that locate into the boot lid.

If your car is a sportback take the two covers off that cover the access to the inner light bulbs to give you extra purchase.

I have the same problem!! - the brown stuff and the jets not spraying the fuild, im going to investigate at the weekend! i will also try to clear the nozzels with a pin or needle. if not the boot lining is coming off!. :)

Adam :)

I have this on my 04 8p too. My washer stopped working with the big freeze. I stripped down the bootlid at the weekend. Cleaned the nozzle - retested - nothing. No water signs in boot at all and no pressure change in the washer pipe but I can hear the relay kicking in. I think mine has detached at the front of the car - bumper off job!!!

Guarantee its just the rear wiper thats blocked, Happens every few months or so on mine, just unlclip the plastic bit on the rear wiper, stick a needle through it and it'l be fine.

make sure when you replace the plastic bit its lined up properly or the water will end up in your boot, You can buy a rubber bung from audi to prevent the water leak on earlier models, cost me a tenner.

Heya "Mick a3"

Thanks for the advice, i feel slightly better now you've said it could be just that. :)

Il have a play with a needle 2moz morning and yeah i know what you mean about the plastic cap lining up right!.

Cheers Fella!

Adam :)

A3 - 2.0 TDi Sport - 06 Plate - 3Dr.

I have this on my 04 8p too. My washer stopped working with the big freeze. I stripped down the bootlid at the weekend. Cleaned the nozzle - retested - nothing. No water signs in boot at all and no pressure change in the washer pipe but I can hear the relay kicking in. I think mine has detached at the front of the car - bumper off job!!!

This is what has happened to mine - if you get chance try it again and listen for water running by your drivers side front wheel.
Im getting mne fixed on sunday!!

done a test the rear nozzles were blocked. the cheap co op screenwash kept blocking the nozzles i tryed clear water and it jetted out across the whole window... tryed the co op screen wash..... nothing