1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rear wiper / wash / boot warning help!

Bruce Rutherford Nov 10, 2019

1. Bruce Rutherford

Bruce Rutherford New Member

Hi all,

Got the pain in the *** fault with the boot showing open on the dash, and rear wash doesn’t work.

I’ve taken the plastic trim off inside of boot and was well damp inside.

Dried it all out best I can, but what do I need to remove and dry or replace exactly to stop the boot showing open on the dash!

Pictures would be fantastic as most of the guides seem to have invalid photo links now

Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

355C0B8E-755C-41DD-8518-E3B36F8B1D5E.jpeg The rear washer motor is notorious on most Audi/VW models of this era as the washer fluid pipe goes through the body of the motor.
    In time, this pipe corrodes & leaks and washer fluid enters the motor itself and kills it over time .
    If you’re really unlucky , fluid can also drip down from the naffed motor onto the boot lock catch (where there’s a micro switch inside) and cause the issues you’re suffering from.
    At a guess, I’d say you need a new wiper motor (only fit an OEM Valeo one, approx £60 from Amazon) and a replacement boot lock .
    The above pic is of my old motor that I took apart once I’d fitted a new Valeo one, the corrosion from the internally leaking pipe is evident.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  4. SootySport

SootySport Well-Known Member Team Silver

The wiper motor for starters, then the switch on the lock.

5. Bruce Rutherford

Ive taken the motor apart today and give it a good clean up inside, this still works fine, so hopefully just a boot catch I’ll need!

Will I be able to just take one from an A3 in a breakers or scrapyard?

Assuming it won’t cause any issues.

6. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

If it looked like mine inside then yours might continue to work OK as long as you don’t use the washer .

7. Bruce Rutherford

Half tempted to just buy a glass bung and delete the wiper lol.

8. SootySport

SootySport Well-Known Member Team Silver

Yeah, a used lock will be ok, as long it didn’t come from an A3 with a leaking wiper motor.
    Have you ruled out leaks in the hatch sealing rubbers first?