rear wiper stuck

hey harris

I noticed this in ur pics the other day!

[ QUOTE ]
can i just pull it back below

[/ QUOTE ]

to be safe I'd say, do not even think of it!!!! it'll be attached to a little motor and ya don't wanna break it under forced stress. also the wiper is attached through the glass of the back window, so if things really go wrong ya don't wanna **** that up.

does the wiper not work at all? if not - could it just be a blown fuse? (anyone?)

if the wiper does still work, what you could do is losen it (a 12mm nut if I remember) and lift it off, then replace it to the desired point, and tighten it back up. problem here though: if the motor is stuck at a certain point, then when u switch it on, it will only rotate so far (as the motor will think it's at the end of it's cycle)

I rarely use my wiper, but recently fitted a new style wiper - looks much tidier! you could do the same! quite simple and I even made a nice little tutorial on how to do it - clicky link!

top tip, should you decide to remove the wiper - first just losen the nut - don't remove it, then pull the wiper off gently, as it kinda bonds into the metal a bit (u'll see what a mean - it's like a tooth impression) so it's tough to unsettle, therefore if you applied force without the nut tehre to stop it, it would fly off and possibly poke ya eye out!

good luck with it! I'm hoping it's just a fuse or something!

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The rear trim inside the boot is very easy to remove. Undo the screws for the inside handle and then carfully unclip the plastic panel.

I would then unplug the electrical connector and get a multimeter or test light on it.

Switch the ignition on and operate the wiper. If you get a reading then the eletrical side is okay and the motor may have died.

If you get no feed then the fuse may have popped due to excessive load.

You can also remove the motor and hot wire it to see if it operates, if it does then it may be a bad linkage.

Just work through methodically trying to eliminate one thing at a time.

If you can't live with the wiper in this position then you should be able to undo the linkage, move the wiper to where it usually lives and reattach, so it doesn't look silly.

But don't try to move it as it is otherwise you will break it.

Hope that helps a bit.

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
hee-hee, recomdos beat me to it :)

I must be a slow typer!

[/ QUOTE ]

well maybe I'm a lil quicker there, but you've provided a different approach! so there's a few possibilities there matey - good teamwork! (high five!) lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

p7995.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have the same problem but a mate of mine who works for VW syays it can be a common problem and it is easily solved by replacing the dodgy motor. Thats what i am about to do to mine.<font color="orange"> </font>

Mine always jams when I first use it after a break, getting stuck 3 or 4 times during the sweep there+back, but after that it seems to work ok. I guess it'll die good and proper soon.