Rear wiper removal and blanking.

Reaction score
Has anyone on here removed the rear wiper on their 8V A3?

I really want to remove mine as I hate the sight of it, and never use it. Should give a much cleaner look to the rear of the car!

Thanks in advance

I'm wondering what you do when the rear window is so filthy you wont be able to see that police car behind you. Before you say it yes I do know many vans have solid rear panels and I suppose a few people may think the SB looks like a van but.......................................

Suppose you could buy a saloon, they dont need a wiper!

But hey it's your choice.

I have seen a post on hear some one already done it have search.

Knew there'd be a comment like this. My car gets cleaned nearly every day so it never gets a chance to get dirty.
My rear window often gets dirty from a quick drive down the road if it's raining. Do you stop and clean your window ever few hundred yards. Not quite sure what removing the rear wiper achieves. It's put there for a purpose.

Reactions: Muttley75 and Minion Bob!
Guys, unless you're going to comment with something helpful, don't comment at all. I'm not interested in people trying to be smart **** and tell me I'm stupid or whatever. All I've done is ask for advice from someone who's done this mod to their car, I didn't ask for people to tell me how wrong they think it is.

Reactions: S32B, pat15312 and s3_trev
It really should be a part of the mot to have one fitted , working and squirting if oe.

Just another easy box to tick .

Reactions: h5djr
Guys, unless you're going to comment with something helpful, don't comment at all. I'm not interested in people trying to be smart **** and tell me I'm stupid or whatever. All I've done is ask for advice from someone who's done this mod to their car, I didn't ask for people to tell me how wrong they think it is.
Then I suggest you do a proper search of the A3 forums rather than take the lazy way and then no one will not how stupid your are being!!!

Reactions: alistairm1, mister.c. and Minion Bob!
Try looking in the 8P forum. It cannot be that different. As far as I know no one has been silly enough to do this the their 8V yet.
Alternative a quick search using Google or Bing will bring up the threads in the 8P forum.

Rip it out and stick a cork in the hole.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
Likie I mentioned on my reply, its your choice. I hope some one can help you. Although I guess its as easy as an 8P. Can't see why it would be much different.

Perhaps you could post a picture when youve done it?

hadnt thought about this untill you mentioned it and looking at the car i want to now :(

I had this done on my last car and it was just simply a case of undoing the boot trim from the inside, undo a few bolts tape the wires up once disconnected and you can get a pack of grommets from halfords and one size will fit the hole

Doesnt look so clean and smooth with a grommet though.

Reactions: Blackwhite, veeeight and MA3RC
There is no legal requirement for cars to be fitted with a rear wiper blade in the UK. Many high end BMW saloons etc do not even give the option to spec a rear wiper. However, as far as MOT certificates go (when the time comes) if your vehicle was fitted with a rear wiper from factory, you will fail if it has been removed as all originally fitted equipment must be functional.

In my experience saloons dont need a rear wiper. Does any one fit them?

Not sure really. Some saloon cars have a water jet at the top of the window but no wiper. A friends dad used to have a Mercedes that had this.

8a783f37600c71ca91ec6db25d890b82.jpg
5518e15d1e7eea6425ee1320ee39e7c3.jpg
6d8b0357d6327f0040fe23573ffeb679.jpg

Job done for now with a glass bung from Halfords. I have a flush, glass bung coming in a few days off eBay to give an even cleaner look!

For anyone else doing this mod, take out the warning triangle in your boot lid, remove 2x T20 screws, and pull hard on the plastic trim to remove.

Pull small plastic cover at the base of the wiper arm, and remove 13mm nut. The wiper arm then pulls off, but will require a bit of force.

Next, undo the black clip on the little white cube at the end of your washer fluid tube, and pull the pipe off the motor. Unplug the plastic plug on the side of the motor. Remove 3x black 10mm nuts, and pull motor out.

Close your boot lid and remove the existing rubber seal, replacing it with your blanking bung/grommet.

Hope this helps anyone in the future that needs it!

Reactions: Boydie, James.c, S32B and 3 others
There is no legal requirement for cars to be fitted with a rear wiper blade in the UK. Many high end BMW saloons etc do not even give the option to spec a rear wiper. However, as far as MOT certificates go (when the time comes) if your vehicle was fitted with a rear wiper from factory, you will fail if it has been removed as all originally fitted equipment must be functional.

I thought it was simply that all fitted equipment must be functional, as in whatever is fitted to the car on the day it is presented for testing at the MOT centre?* I didn't think there was any legislation to prevent removal of equipment, just that what's there must work, i.e. you can't have non-functional foglights etc.

*Not stating this as gospel and am quite prepared and happy to be educated to the contrary.

Reactions: veeeight

Job done for now with a glass bung from Halfords. I have a flush, glass bung coming in a few days off eBay to give an even cleaner look!

For anyone else doing this mod, take out the warning triangle in your boot lid, remove 2x T20 screws, and pull hard on the plastic trim to remove.

Pull small plastic cover at the base of the wiper arm, and remove 13mm nut. The wiper arm then pulls off, but will require a bit of force.

Next, undo the black clip on the little white cube at the end of your washer fluid tube, and pull the pipe off the motor. Unplug the plastic plug on the side of the motor. Remove 3x black 10mm nuts, and pull motor out.

Close your boot lid and remove the existing rubber seal, replacing it with your blanking bung/grommet.

Although personally I wouldn't do it, I must admit it cleans up the rear end tremendously. So well done for trying it and for the detailed write-up.

I thought it was simply that all fitted equipment must be functional, as in whatever is fitted to the car on the day it is presented for testing at the MOT centre?* I didn't think there was any legislation to prevent removal of equipment, just that what's there must work, i.e. you can't have non-functional foglights etc.

*Not stating this as gospel and am quite prepared and happy to be educated to the contrary.
To be perfectly honest, it's a little bit of a dark patch as far as the MOT specification goes. Although the blades need to be functioning correctly etc there is no mention, specifically, of wiper checks on the MOT spec sheets supplied by the government. The only mention of externally connected components has the following pre-text:

"Where a vehicle has modified external components, certain Reasons for Rejection, such as for components ‘missing where fitted as standard’ should not be applied."

I cannot however find a list of possible exceptions under the above clause. Maybe someone with some MOT testing history could shed some more light on it!

@RyanCudlip its good to see these pictures on an A3. Really appreciate the detailed guide as I was on the fence about doing it but definitely prefer the look, just wasn't too sure as to what was involved. Had a quick look and popped the triangle out the other day whilst cleaning the car and can recall seeing everything you have pointed out. Will give this a try at the weekend and post pics up when done, will get temporary bungs from halfords as well and get glass ones if I like what I see! :)

Try looking in the 8P forum. It cannot be that different. As far as I know no one has been silly enough to do this the their 8V yet.
Alternative a quick search using Google or Bing will bring up the threads in the 8P forum.
Not sure I'd go so far as to call him silly H5. we should be tolerant of others views and tastes including sticking your initials on number plates which no doubt many think is equally silly.

I've taken motorcycles for MoT's removed all 4 indicators, and passed. ;)
(Yamaha DT, single seat)

(In any case, the rear wiper is not part of the MoT (yet) )

Last edited:
Reactions: Wondering Soul
Looks clean, not my bag really but some people shave there eye brows off so guess it takes all sorts. Boring world if we were all the same. Good effort.

Reactions: Minion Bob! and Wondering Soul

10 years ago I would have been loving this but I'm getting old and grumpy and I like it with the wiper look. Nice and tidy car though!

Ahhh audi sports anti mod police out in force on this one.
Ignore them mate it look spot on. Really clean

Really gets me angry reading through threads like this. A couple of users in this thread really need to get off their high horses!!! Say your opinion and leave it at that!! To actually call someone stupid for something they are doing, catch yourselves on!! GOD FORBID someone would do something you dont agree with. Urgh, really wish I was a moderator sometimes.

Ryan that looks really good. Really smoothes out the back. Not sure about the 8V but if its the same as the 8P there is a separate pump mounted on the washer bottle in the engine bay, id recommend disconnecting it there as well.

Oh and in 10 years of motoring, not ONCE have I been asked to demonstrate my rear wiper, so thats another load of nonsense. In N.Ireland anyway.

Was one of the first things I did to my S3. Pretty easy job. Just remove the boot door trim, undo the bolts for the wiper motor, pull the wiper off the spindle, fit a grommet where the whole is. Trickiest part is removing the wiper arm from the spindle, I was scared I was going to scratch/smash the rear window.

I had a rubber grommet on my Ibiza when I dewipered it, but everyone kept on pushing it through the glass. Fitted an acrylic disc and sealed it in place with black silicon sealant. It's not quite as tidy as I'd like it, but it does the job for now and makes the rear of the car look so much better.

Ahhh audi sports anti mod police out in force on this one.
Ignore them mate it look spot on. Really clean
All you have to do know is remove the surround round the number plate, the Audi four rings and the S3 badge and it will even "cleaner". Don't forget the Audi four rings and the quattro badge on the front as well. Then possibly the rather stick out door mirrors. It will really look "clean" then. Just my opinion of course.

Are there any 'rules' that says a car must have door mirrors after all it has an internal rear-view mirror, unless that has been removed for a "cleaner" interior look.

Any passenger vehicle first used after 1978 must have 2 mirrors, of which one must (mandatory) be exterior giving a view of the offside.

So technically, you do not need an interior rear view mirror, giving you a cleaner interior look.

Any passenger vehicle first used after 1978 must have 2 mirrors, of which one must (mandatory) be exterior giving a view of the offside.

So technically, you do not need an interior rear view mirror, giving you a cleaner interior look.

But if you have an interior mirror, you can get away with just one exterior.

Think of the weight savings!