Rear wiper motor removal!

ashatplay

Just Keep Swimming!
Reaction score
I am new to the forums and have scoured them for knowledge on this problem. I have a 2002 avant and the rear wiper motor is knackered (spindle leaking into the motor) a simple fix if only I could get the arm off. I have patiently applied penetrating oil which enabled me to remove the nut on the arm but the arm itself seems to be welded on. I have tried oil, a wiper arm removal tool (which stripped the threads rather than pop off the arm) The only way forward I have now is cut the thing off! I wa hoping to recon the motor but all is lost if I cut it.

Does anyone have any other bright ideas before I get all medieval on it's ***?

If not what part numbers are compliant with this motor(seat, vw, skoda or audi)

Thanks for putting up with my rant, it won't beat me.

I had the same problem and done the same things as you as I recently changed mine you can either:

1, cut it off take arm to local Audi dealer and they will take out spindle for you to save buying arm (Thanks Audi Bath great service) then purchase new motor cost me £83 inc vat my option of choice hehe
2, purchase wiper arm puller apparently its a bit like the disc/hub puller and do it that way see here £90 a bit step

Hope this helps

Paul.

try this. lift the arm up grab it and push it up to 12 oclock and then down to 6 oclock with a good bit of force. do this a few times and it should work loose. hope it works mate it did for me..

try this. lift the arm up grab it and push it up to 12 oclock and then down to 6 oclock with a good bit of force. do this a few times and it should work loose. hope it works mate it did for me..
It doesnt work, trust me I have been through this its welded no amount of WD40 will move it the only way is a wiper arm puller

looks like a good job thankfully i havent neede one. YET..

I'll give the brute force method a go but I'm not hopeful. I think the hacksaw may have to be unleashed. I have seen some replacement motors on eBay but I'm not sure they are VAG ones. Salisbury Audi quoted me £98 Inc vat. I should be able to force the spindle from the arm as I work in an aircraft workshop. Cheers guys

Mine has gone on me, in fact it was on its way at the start of the year (kept randonly turning on itself) so I just disconnected the wires. Plugged it back in at the weekend and it swiped forth and back once and then nothing, its now dead. I've been looking on Ebay but they're all for pre-01 cars, where have you managed to get one from?

just do without it?? mine went on me so i went for the smooth rear screen look..

have you tried heating it??

Heating it? What do you mean, getting a hairdryer on it? Do you have to take it apart?

A bit like you do with seized bolts. heat them up and then when they cool down it splits the two bits apart.
tend to use a blow torch, but i don't know how that would cope with the wiper arm / glass.

There must be some kind of rubber seal between the motor spindle and the glass? I'd be very careful heating it myself, I think the safer option would be to cut the arm off without damaging the spindle.

Well I ended up cutting it off! Easy little job after that. My variable pressure applicator knocked the remainder I'd the spindle from the wiper arm. Some graphite grease will prevent that happening again. Works great now. Thanks for the advice guys.

I have managed to find a repair kit that replaces the spindle on eBay which means I can repair the old motor and maybe make a few quid back! Brilliant!

I just had to replace my wiper today and also couldn't get the arm off.
Went to Audi to pick up the new wiper and asked one of the technicians if he could help me get it off (the wiper ;-)
He told me to GENTLY clamp either side of the arm (where it is stuck on the spindle) and GENTLY lever it side to side.

It worked!! I spent about an hour earlier trying to get it off with brute force!