Rear Wiper Judder/Noise

ac2003

Reaction score
My rear wiper is making a horrible judder/squeal, any ideas to fix it? Is there a way to dial in the alignment or should i try a new blade or even treating the rubber?

Mine has had this from day One! I can't figure out a way to bend/adjust the angle of the blade on the window, as it only judders one way! I keep getting told by Audi that I need a new blade, maybe I do now but not when the car was new!

Mine does this all the time and so does my girlfriends A1. I've just come to terms that it's an "Audi" thing :(

Bosch Aerotwin Plus (graphite coating)

Audi blades are rubbish

You can polish the screen, get wiper angle adjusted .... may work.

In most cases it is the OEM wiper blade at fault, especially those delivered with the car.

Reactions: dp_motley, Rob2k68, ac2003 and 1 other person
I had the same problem with my A3. Took it in twice for it, they said in the end that the rear wiper is degrading quicker than the fronts possibly through not been used as much. Didn't make sense to me but got two new blades from them. Had the car 2 and a half years, never changed the front wipers.

Oh and never apply or have a detailer apply paint protection products to glass with wiper blade contact - can permanently harden wiper blades and destroy their performance

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Reactions: Rob2k68
Not sure about the SB or HB but I got these for my sedan/saloon

I know Bosch make the Plus version for SB's so best to to contact Bosch in your country

https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/products/details/-/productdetails/3397006952
https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/products/details/-/productdetails/3397006945

https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/products/details/-/productdetails/3397006946

The 475U may also fit as replacement for the 450U - slightly longer than the 450U - contact Bosch and they will send the correct ones. They are great to deal with.

Had a similar problem on my A3 after it went in for service and the dealer changed the rear wiper blade. The new one juddered - while the old one never did.

Managed to fix it by taking the blade off and mounting it the other way up (the fittings all appear to be reversible).

Judder gone.

I might just have been lucky - so I wouldn't get your hopes up - but it doesn't cost anything to try...

Reactions: dp_motley, mr_pepps, WarwickL and 1 other person
Bosch Aerotwin Plus (graphite coating)

Audi blades are rubbish

You can polish the screen, get wiper angle adjusted .... may work.

In most cases it is the OEM wiper blade at fault, especially those delivered with the car.

Hey @WarwickL are they the ones you're recommending?
http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/sportback-2-years-2013-to-2016/bosch-a864s-aerotwin-wiper-blade/
(For Sportback)
The OEM blades from new are sub-par...

SF- The ones you posted appear to be the old version ?

Replaced mine a few months back after Warwicks suggestion on another thread - they work a treat but couldn't get the + version in the UK for some strange reason.

Reactions: WarwickL and ac2003
Thanks for the suggestion @audiblue but no joy. Ordered a Bosch Aerotwin as per @WarwickL's suggestion so hopefully that will sort it out. I'll report back

Reactions: RB_172, WarwickL and Rob2k68
Bosch must be rubbing their hands in glee if they're reading this thread!! lol

I bet a fair few of these window judder issues could be sorted out with the right cleaning. As Warwick said detailing products, and basically anything with wax in is a complete no for the windscreen.

..........or rear screen if your driving a hatch or sportback

Bosch must be rubbing their hands in glee if they're reading this thread!! lol

I bet a fair few of these window judder issues could be sorted out with the right cleaning. As Warwick said detailing products, and basically anything with wax in is a complete no for the windscreen.

..........or rear screen if your driving a hatch or sportback

Nope.

I machine polished my screen, clay bar and then IPA wipe down

Had wiper arms realigned

Still juddered

Added Aerotwin Plus blades and all fixed and still good.

The Aerotwin blades are far better than OEM, even the connectors are better.

I've kept the OEM blades as spares in the underfloor cargo area.

I generally replace blades every 6 months so made sense to upgrade and ended up being cheaper than OEM.

Edit - I do suggest getting front and rear screens machine polished, clay bar and IPA clean however. New cars always come with crud on glass that the pre delivery detail never removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68, ac2003 and Simon L
Nope.

I machine polished my screen, clay bar and then IPA wipe down

Had wiper arms realigned

Still juddered

Added Aerotwin Plus blades and all fixed and still good.

The Aerotwin blades are far better than OEM, even the connectors are better.

I've kept the OEM blades as spares in the underfloor cargo area.

I generally replace blades every 6 months so made sense to upgrade and ended up being cheaper than OEM.

That's fair enough mate but I'm saying I seriously doubt everyone on this thread and the numerous threads that have proceeded it all have knackered wiper blades.

Reactions: richinsoton, Rob2k68 and WarwickL
One more thing about the screens, don't overapply detailing products to paintwork, it can end up on the front and rear screens after rain ;)

Reactions: Rob2k68, ac2003 and Simon L
That's fair enough mate but I'm saying I seriously doubt everyone on this thread and the numerous threads that have proceeded it all have knackered wiper blades.

I'd suggest Audi blades are knackered before we take delivery :)

Especially our trans Pacific shipped vehicles :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
I even tell Audi not to test the washers at service / hate having washer fluid sprayed over the car and blades used on a dry screen and then parked in the sun prior to pickup.

Anal I know.

:)

Aftermarket blade cured my judder. Bisch Bosch, sorted!

Reactions: WarwickL and Rob2k68
Aftermarket blade cured my judder. Bisch Bosch, sorted!

64312081.jpg

Reactions: simonali and WarwickL
I had this recently. Juddering all the time, i thought it was because of lack of water on the window, creating friction so it was sticking & juddering instead of wiping. After close inspection i realised the window was clean but had a fine spray of some sort of residue on it that wouldnt/didnt come off with normal wash. Went outside with some window cleaner(containing amonia), cloth and a stanley knife blade, cleaned it up a treat. no judder now at all. i suggest cleaning your rear window properly.

Reactions: mr_pepps and Simon L
Anyone know what exactly you need, info wise, to order the right wipers for the 3 door S3? are they size, fitment or something else?