rear window wash not pumping water!

kellogz

Reaction score
Hi guys the rear windscreen washer on my avant has stopped working is the water pump part of the motor that drives the wiper arm? The pump motor is making a noise when activated but no wet stuff!!!

The pump is in the reservoir. First thing to do is whip the jet out of the wiper spindle and see if water comes out. If yes, the jet(s) are blocked - clean or replace. The cover just pulls off and the jet will pull out of the spindle.

If no, then is there any evidence of water dripping out of the trim - you've already said the boot is dry, but what about the trim? If so then either the connection between the pipe and the spindle in the wiper motor has failed, or the spindle itself has failed inside the motor. A common problem for which the only real fix is replace the assembly. Several threads here on how to remove the rear wiper arm and the trim on the back door. Once you've done those two interesting little jobs then changing the motor is a doodle!

Trim removal - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...-avant-bootlid-plastics-removal-info-req.html
If you need to remove the wiper arm in order to change the motor, get a puller - see http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/195714-wiper-arms-seized-onto-spindle.html

Other things to check are a joint which I believe is in the front passenger footwell and which will result in a wet floor under the carpets - and it's also not unknown to have the pipe fail where it comes into the rear hatch.

I bet you'll find it's either the jet or the spindle inside the motor tho. HIH Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Mike_B soon as I get chance I'll be looking into it, I had the jets in the wiper arm spindle replaced when first got the car in September they were seized up and blocked! So the whole mechanism has been apart already, tiny amounts of water just seep out of the end of the jets when tried it. Passenger footwell carpet is dry also