Rear Window Smashed!

DaytonaS3

Reaction score
about 2am last night, some clown in Leeds decided to see what’s in my boot!

Alarm went off, but I didn’t pay much notice until this morning. Popped outside and saw this mess!

Got autoglass coming later (hopefully) with OEM black privacy glass, anything I need to be aware of for fitting?

Attachments

• EB294F74-DDCE-49B8-9508-0B66CFA44B72.jpeg
    EB294F74-DDCE-49B8-9508-0B66CFA44B72.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 459
That sucks!
Main thing to be aware of is the heated screen and central brake light still works. Not sure about the a3 but some cars the window needs to come back out to sort the wiring.

Cheers. Looks like there are two types of window connectors, thankfully he brought both panes!

That sucks.
God bless insurance.
Just out of curiosity, and you don't have to be specific, but have you ever kept anything expensive or lucrative in the boot?
Or was this totally opportunist pot luck?
It's a strange kind of break in thats all.

People who do this sort of thing have the mentality of a house brick.....and are a thousand times less useful.
Glad you got it sorted nice and quick

Cheers all. It’s been a pain, but glad it’s sorted so I could drive home today.

Two slight annoyances, there’s glass trapped in the boot lid, so it sounds like a rain stick at the moment, need to figure that out.

There’s a small dent bottom left of the window. According to autoglass, that’s the weak point and where they lobbed a crow bar and then pressured the glass to shatter. Much quieter.

I reckon it was complete chance - I was only there for a night out and parked on a main road outside a mates house in Roundhay, Leeds. In the armrest box was my work phone, and back seat had my suit hanging up and some clothes. They Didn’t touch them.

In the boot itself was my work briefcase, inside it was a cheap chromebook and some leaflets that’s all they got - they’ll be disappointed by that, which pleased me. Nothing else. Weirdly they left my jack wolfskin jacket, which was in the boot as well. My work bag will probably turn up in a bush somewhere.

What was also quite interesting is that there were two other saloon cars also outside, an a5 and bmw 3 series which weren’t touched. I think they went looking for cars like my sportback to do this specific task. In fact a guy popped round to say his a3 sportback had been done on another nearby street.

Attachments

• 3ACD5644-BD38-4D81-9C87-E200F4DE77BC.jpeg
    3ACD5644-BD38-4D81-9C87-E200F4DE77BC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 384
Barstewards..

Try not to leave stuff in the car next time.
Parasites like who done this, would have probably walked on by if nothing was on display.
That dent is a shame, but fixable, as is the loose glass..

A long time ago I went for a haircut.
Xr2 Mark 2, parked in a pay and display car park, socket set box, about 3 sockets in it, was behind my drivers seat on floor.
Was gone 45 mins, and some lovely chap screwdrivered my door lock and damaged door to get in and nicked a very empty box, because it was there.
Broad daylight in Sunderland centre.
I learned from this

Barstewards..

Try not to leave stuff in the car next time.
Parasites like who done this, would have probably walked on by if nothing was on display.
That dent is a shame, but fixable, as is the loose glass..

Yep agreed, the only thing that was on show was my jacket hanging in the back. Wonder if that made them take the punt to think there could be luggage in the boot