1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rear Wiggle/Shimmy!! - Eibach Pro

AJ Jacob Oct 16, 2018

1. AJ Jacob

AJ Jacob AJ

Hi Guys,

For the life of me I cannot figure out what causing this weird effect. Hope someone here can shed some light on the matter.

I recently upgrade to the Eibach Pro kits and had a full 4 wheel alignment done along with re-calibration of the adaptive suspension.

The issue I am getting is when I hit a pothole, manhole cover or uneven surface, the cars rear end will wiggle almost like a side step at the rear. To make sure i want going mad, I had another person witness this to make sure it wasn't just me. At high speeds when you hit manholes covers on the road it is unnerving. I have taken it back into the guys who have aligned it and they say everything is spot on.

Anyone know what might be causing it?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Leevr

Leevr Well-Known Member Audi S3 Porsche Viper Green

I get the same effect on standard set up with mag ride. Be interesting to find out if it's a common issue or a trait of the rear end. Never really concerned me as it's only a momentary side twitch.

4. Lehn

Lehn The van man Team Daytona Audi S3 DSG

Same here, also on stock magride setup. But I would have expected a set of Eibach Pro-Kit to solve this issue...

5. AJ Jacob

AJ Jacob AJ

Never had the issue on my Stock Setup :shrug:

6. Martinbanshee

Martinbanshee Well-Known Member TeamMisano Audi S3 saloon quattro

I’ve had this since new with my S3 Saloon with MagRide, surprised you’re still getting it with your new setup.

7. Orange225

Orange225 Well-Known Member Team Brilliant Black quattro Audi A3

Are your tyres running a bit low on tread, mine got wiggly towards the end of the rear tyres life, put my winter set on with new tyres and the wiggle seems to have all but disappeared.

AJ Jacob likes this.
  8. AJ Jacob

AJ Jacob AJ

Interesting, my tyres are probably half way through the treads, I am looking at getting it changed to winters soon.
    However this issue has only started after I fitted the Eibach springs, so surely the treads couldn't have changed within a week?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  9. RJ-8V

RJ-8V Active Member Team Daytona Audi A3 S-line owners group

I had the same problem with the standard sport suspension. Ive fitted the Eibach Pro and it got less. I still need to realign everything but will change to winter tyres soon.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

10. Orange225

Tyres could be just one of the issues, mines a Quattro, so that adds yer another variable, my last a3 did the same till I changed the shocks

11. AJ Jacob

AJ Jacob AJ

That is a fair point, however its trying get a rough idea of what could be causing this. I am really surprised people have had it from new and not had it investigated...it does feel extremely unnerving for me.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. -Ju-

-Ju- Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver SQ5 owners group VCDS Map User

I've had H&R's, Eibach Pro's and now the MSS kit on my magride sportback S3 and tbh have never had any of the issues that you seem to be experiencing. I get the bang from the rear top mounts but that's a well documented issue on the PFL

14. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Team Ibis VAG Can Professional Gold Supporter VCDS Map User quattro ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

I was the "witness" to Mr AJ's Saloon "*** Shaking", was a very strange sensation indeed! I have test driven A LOT of 8V's with almost every suspension setup one can think of and I have never experienced this before, for sure I did / do not get it on my own A3 while on stock or now my MSS springs. Not sure how to explain it to be honest.

AJ Jacob likes this.
  15. AJ Jacob

AJ Jacob AJ

I think initially didn’t notice it, but after a day or two I could really notice it.

I can’t seem to figure out what causing it.

16. AJ Jacob

AJ Jacob AJ

Agreed, made me feel sane to get another person to experience it. Thought it was all in my head!

17. airbus319

airbus319 Well-Known Member Team Daytona VCDS Map User Audi A3 S-line owners group

Have you checked your rear tyre pressures?

Also worth checking your ARB and drop links as they will have been disconnected to fit the new springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ Jacob and DJAlix like this.
  18. Mark_86

Mark_86 Well-Known Member Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Black Edition DSG

I get this sometimes, usually when changing lanes on the motorway. I'm stock Mag-ride.

I've narrowed it down to tyres... it seems to be a mix of pressures and wear on the front vs rear axle. No doubt Quattro doesn't help matters but when I adjust the tyre pressures, it seems to cure it for a few months.

AJ Jacob and DJAlix like this.
  19. Orange225

Motorways are where I noticed it at its worst, don’t think it’s a new a3 issue, mines a facelift 8p

20. AJ Jacob

AJ Jacob AJ

Ok, I’ll check my pressures tomorrow and see what’s the crack with that. The place that did my alignment did change the tyre pressures, which to be fair I haven’t checked

21. sparkymark75

sparkymark75 Active Member Team Sepang S3 Saloon Audi S3

Tyre places, from my experience, tend to err on making your tyres rock hard. My newly fitted tyres were up about 40/41. I had to let some air out of them!

22. AJ Jacob

AJ Jacob AJ

Ok, So checked my tyre pressures and they were reduced massively to around 30 / 32 psi on front and back by the alignment place. :wtf:. Anyways sorted the pressure out and now the effect seems to have reduced a bit but it is still there.

So i am assuming this is not fully to do with tyres pressures alone.

23. Mark_86

Mark_86 Well-Known Member Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Black Edition DSG

I found the tyre wear on the different axles also had an effect... i think it's just a trait of the car tbh