Rear wheels rubbing on arch

Scott

Reaction score
Hi all,

Slight problem: noticed the rear wheels have been rubbing on arches, on the actual paintwork I think.

I'm running Weitec coilovers although the rear isn't really that low.
12mm spacers on the rear too. I was under the impression I shouldn't really have any rubbing problems with this setup, especially not catching on the actual paintwork under the arch?

If I look at the tyre, I think I can see white paint off the car, so that's not good........ so don't think it will be the screw that's holding the bumper on. :(

If I feel around both arches, around the top the paintwork under the arch it feels a bit "lumpy" which I think is where it's rubbing, although it seems in slightly different places on both sides. I don't think this is right, so must be rubbing there?

So what can be causing this? Don't really want to go any higher, so I think I'll have to get smaller spacers. Would 10mm fix this? I've had full geo setup at MidlandVW so alignment should be ok? Maybe that's causing this?

I always hear 12mm suggested for rear even when lowering, so don't know why it's a problem :( I've even heard 15mm???

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited:
Scott

12mm spacers on the rear is your problem

I've just bought some 8mm ones and my god are they close to the arch!!!!

Get yourself some 8mm ones matey, should sort ya problem out

1) assuming you are are running standard wheels et54 to et52, then 7 to 8mm spacer is at the limit unless you go for a narrower tyre such as 215

total offset (real - spacer mm) should be around 45-46 with a 225 tyre up to a wheel size of 8.5" , after that you need a narrower tyre or a larger total offset i.e. less spacer or larger offset wheel

eg with a 215 or 205 tyre you can usually get away with an et35-40
or

2) take the elephant out of the boot;-)