rear wheel bearing replacement cost

New S4 Man

Reaction score
Hi all, just been quoted £450 quid to replace a rear wheel bearing in my S3. I do trust the garage but this seems like quite a lot of money. Any thoughts?

hi there...had a rear wheel bearing replaced on my 2014 S3 a couple of weeks ago...car is 4 years old so out of warranty

gross price was about £450...but with goodwill gesture only paid £184 inclusive of VAT

goodwill given because it is a warrantable item if car was less than 3 years old...plus all my servicing gets done at this dealer

Is it a new hub at £450?
Seems expensive to me but I’ve never had to replace a wheel bearing on an Audi before.

Cheers for the replies. Came to just under 300 quid in the end, garage said that it took them less time then expected. just happy it's fixed tbh as I was tuned into the drone noise and it was spoiling my enjoyment of the car!

i didnt actually get chance to ask. the invoce just says wheel bearing and the part cost was 107 quid

How long did you have this issue..I'm asking because I have mine booked into the garage Tuesday for wheel bearing replacement and I'm not sure if I should drive the car till then?

I had my issue for months, at first I thought it was noisy all-season tyres during the summer heatwave.

Dealer put my car up on a wheel free ramp and drove it while I watched. Noise from bearing was pretty obvious.

Was told that bearing failure is not as issue, it won't just break one day, it will just get louder and louder.

Ok that's a bit more reassuring..I noticed the noise last weekend on a long drive down the motorway but now I can feel a slight shudder when turning left aswell.. this is what makes me feel like I shouldn't be driving it.

Yeah i had mine making a noise for months. First noticed it went i changed to quieter tyers and at first a thought it was coming from the engine and had been there all along.

Eventually booked it in but for some reason there is a huge backlog at my local audi dealership, 2 month wait to get it "diagnosed" which they wanted extra money up front for. Then i ended up missing the ****** appointment, no reminder apart from a call a few weeks before to try and upsell me some replacement tyres.

So tcalled trusted indy around the corner from me and a day later took the mechanic out for a spin. They did a cracking job and the full major service that was done at the same time was half the price of my main dealer!