Rear washer leaking into boot on offside.

garethk-d

Reaction score
Good evening. I have a TDi 170 A3 sportsback with a leak. The rear wash stopped working so i checked the connection in the boot. all fine (previous problem this forum assisted with) The screen wash in coming out of the grill in the boot on the offside above where the wheel would be.

Any ideas how to access this area so i can check to see if its a split pipe of just popped off. I tried access through light cluster to no avail.

i dont want to start yanking bits without knowing i'm doing the right thing.

any help will be appreciated

Gaz

Have you pulled the roof liner off, where the pipes would be, Then get someone to spray you can usually here it.

Nope,

Does the pipe run under car, up offside above wheel arch then up to offside boot hinge? I'm guessing it could be leaking anywhere then following pipe to the grill.

I'll have to try again when it light and not -74c

I'm guessing removing the roof liner is a dealers job?

Ive not done it with an audi but my golf had the pipes going through the roof on the passenger side. through the rubber gromet on the boot to the whiper. I just pulled my liner from the door but not right off just enough to see.

Hmmm, I'll phone audi tomorrow re the recall for the injectors so i may get them to have a look before i ruin it all.

There is a pipe joint behind the offside upper boot lining just above the convenience module. Mine froze and popped off last year and was an absolute b*****d to get at and fix ! You have to remove the boot floor and some of the parcel shelf support before you can release the boot liner. Then the problem is that the connector joint, once separated, does not always go back properly and either pops off again or leaks.

I had to cut the proper connector off and find a way of jointing the two pipes with a different sized pipe and secure it with tie-wraps.

The leak also knackered the canbus connector to the convenience module which has been on single wire ever since !

Took me 5 hours in the freezing cold last January to fix !!

Suggest you leave it to Audi if you can. Good luck !!

The leak also knackered the canbus connector to the convenience module which has been on single wire ever since!!

I've got a spare conv module if you want to test that Mike, see if problem goes away, cant recall where we got with that issue tbh, did you scratch the terminals on the wire ends & the conv module?

I've got a spare conv module if you want to test that Mike, see if problem goes away, cant recall where we got with that issue tbh, did you scratch the terminals on the wire ends & the conv module?

Sorry for delay in replying but Norovirus got me ! Many thanks for the offer mate but, to be honest, I can't see the point of scrabbling away trying to get the old one out when there appears to be nothing wrong with the car ! I can still make coding changes in the convenience module even though it is only single wire communication. The only sign of anything wrong is a fault code in VCDS.

Yes, I did scratch the terminals on the connector before reconnecting the wire but not the bit where it goes into the module.

Thanks again for the offer and Merry Christmas to you all.

Had the same problem with my 54 A3 ,resulting in failure of boot latch switch causing intermittent alarm activation, Bose system Amplifier failure (£465 Replacement) .rear wiper motor failure.
Pipe split directly above amp and fluid tracked along boot liner and soaked everything in its path.

A similar pipe failure happened to my previous car a 98 Golf and also to my sisters 55 Polo

This will continue to Happen to all VAG cars until they improve the quality of the pipe fittings and pipe section , also you have to question why they continue to run the pipe in a wire harness above electrical components.

Hello,

Just noticed this post and looks like I have been the subject of a similar problem on my 54 A3, the amp just stopped and after ferreting around the rear drivers quarter found the amp had been soaked and the amp was beyond repair, the whole area around was damp.
Interested to see if you sorted out the problem and what did you do. As far as I can tell this is the only way that my amp has been destroyed as there are no obvious leaks in the vicinity, great build quality!!

Hello,

Just noticed this post and looks like I have been the subject of a similar problem on my 54 A3, the amp just stopped and after ferreting around the rear drivers quarter found the amp had been soaked and the amp was beyond repair, the whole area around was damp.
Interested to see if you sorted out the problem and what did you do. As far as I can tell this is the only way that my amp has been destroyed as there are no obvious leaks in the vicinity, great build quality!!

The component in the rear drivers quarter is the convenience module, not an amp !

The component in the rear drivers quarter is the convenience module, not an amp !

The item I mentioned which has got flooded IS the Bose amp situated behind the panel on the drivers side rear panel by the parcel shelf, or put another way inside the car roughly adjacent to the petrol flap on the outside of my 3dr A3, I had to remove the offside panel in the boot to trace it, also in this area is the seat belt retractor mechanism for the rear offside seat belt. I have pulled the amp out but it has obviously suffered a constant water ingress over time and the inside of the amp is scorched/burnt, trying to source another and obviously sort out the water leak which I am now convinced is the water tubing leading from the front of the car to the rear which feeds the rear wash/wipe and it appears the piping has come adrift at a junction and dripped the water onto my amp causing the problem. Part number I need for the amp is 8P3 035 223.

Steve

OK mate - sorry - my sportback has the convenience module in that position.

You don't say what year your car is but the 2006MY version is suffix 'A' and is £456 inc. VAT from Audi !

I have a 2007 Sportback with BOSE installed and want to check the pipe and connectors to the rear wiper just to make sure nothing is leaking as don't fancy replacing the BOSE amp!!

Can someone please confirm which side of the boot lining I need to remove? What is the best way to go about removing the lining?

Thanks in advance