Rear view mirror 'dimming'

Luke2.0tdi2010

Reaction score
Is it me or does anyone else's rear view mirror 'dimming/anti dazzle' do absolutely nothing at all?
Had the car nearly a year and have never had this 'function' on a car before.
I have tried quite a few times at night when someone with bright headlights is behind me to turn the button on the mirror on and off but it makes no difference whatsoever?
Not the end of the world tbh but just something I've been wondering about?
Thanks in advance
Luke

I thought the same as you when I picked my Audi up - but they do work. I have tints which means they aren't as effective as a car without tints.

If your side mirrors are "anti dazzle" when sitting in traffic switch them off for 30 seconds, then back on. You will see a border around the glass.

I find them really useful and a must have now!

I am used to all 3 mirrors dimming on my cars, mine certainly works. I have to say the Audi version is subtle but it does work and does dim.

BMW and Merc versions are extreme and the glass goes almost black on all 3 mirrors.

Should be very obvious tbh, even with tints & I've had last 4 cars with tints all round & dimmed fine as normal, maybe needs testing/diagnostically checking properly.

My car has optional tints, and to be honest they are the darkest ive ever had on a car!!

With them i think the dimming mirror is pointless, as i dont honestly feel it is required.

I was used to the diming mirror and actually retro fitted one on my last car.

The dimming rear view mirror in my old B5 Passat leaked and lost most of its fluid, once the fluid has gone you get double vision, so had to new a new one many ££££s there was a Johnsons(?) refurbishment exchange program in the USA to cover that leaking issue, with B8 S4, so far so good!
Is there any indication that there is power getting to the mirror, I can't remember, but is there not a green light on when it is operational and a red light for when it has been activated ? (some thing like that)

@Luke2.0tdi2010 just a thought but when I first installed my dashcam I accidentally blocked the light sensor on the rear of my mirror. This meant that it though it was always dark hence never changed! Both our cars have the auto dimming rear view mirror. When it's dark you can tell it's working as the headlights of the cars behind have a slight green tinge to them. Also it is very obvious of you flick it on/off as to what the change is. So you may have an issue with yours.

it's one of the features i really love about the Widow. works great and mine definitely isn't subtle, very noticable and useful.

Reactions: GeoffDunk