Rear view camera with tinted window?

MOA4B9

Reaction score
I would like to have my windows tinted but how would that effect the rear view camera? Looking for some feedback from those who have tinted windows and rear view camera. I would imagine that at night it might be hopeless. I was even thinking if a small cutout can be made in the tint just under the tail break light which might be quite discreet.

The rear view camera is by the boot handle on the outside of the car so would make zero difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha. I’ll let someone with more experience answer in that case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have OEM tints on my 7, and have a rear dashcam fitted.

It’s not an issue, and you can see clearly any recorded daytime video. Nighttime is a little darker (obviously!) but cars following with headlights make it easy to see what’s happening.

Here is a picture taken today from my rear cam, through an OEM tint.

E836407D-5E0A-454B-9538-5CD9A6BC6246_zpshmo3yqa9.jpeg

Cant believe how dark factory tints are on the outside compared to the inside. I usually chuck my jacket on the back seat and often open the wrong door to get it out, as I cant see what side it's nearest :flushed:

Cant believe how dark factory tints are on the outside compared to the inside. I usually chuck my jacket on the back seat and often open the wrong door to get it out, as I cant see what side it's nearest :flushed:

Very true, I do the same!

For the benefit of the OP, here is a pic of my OEM factory tints, the rear view camera sees through this with no problem.
I believe the OEM tint is 30/35% light transmission - can’t remember exactly, so don’t quote me!

2017-04-21%2010.42.00_zpsjpztcrjk.jpg

Reactions: DaveW
LOL, you daft..it's not called privacy glass for nothing ;-)

Reactions: DaveW and mjcairney