Rear view camera - Some help needed!

amafzal88

Reaction score
Hi All - Just looking to do a retrofit of a rear view camera on my A4 saloon. I have retrofitted a 3g+ from a 2013 into my prefacelift B8 so looking at compatibility of different units!

I have found a 8R0907441C from a Q5 - is this compatible with the 3g+, I know the 8T0907441C is usually the one that works.

Since the unit is from the US, could there be any issues in compatibility on that front?

Also, once I fit this in, would anything go into Component Protection at all?!

8T0 441C unit only.

No component protection and a controller from the US is no different from getting a controller here.

8T0 441C unit only.

Thats interesting as the software version on the 8R0907441A unit I am looking at is exactly the same as the 8T0 441C unit, its 4L0907441B - H07.....shouldn't this work too?!

Just a quick questions for you all, the camera module requires a connection to the gateway via the CAN bus high and low connections.

Since the whole car's systems share this CAN bus high and low wires, can I just tap these in anywhere (e.g. the radio in the boot?) or do they have to be tapped in at the Gateway?

There are different 'buses' for can communication, run the hi and low to the can block on the passenger end of the dashboard and avoid tapping into circuits.

I assume you're doing this without wiring diagrams??

I am indeed, although I am referring to the pin outs for each module.

When you say the CAN block on the passenger end, where/what is this? (excuse me for my lack of knowledge on this)

Here's the picture of the CAN bus block from the passenger side fuse box. There are three buses but the convenience bus is used for the reversing camera. I'm pretty sure the high and low pins are labelled H and L;

I forgot to say the original loom I bought was designed to tap into the CAN bus wires in reversing sensor module in the boot. Unfortunately, I didn't have reversing sensors so had to run a twisted pair of wires to the CAN bus block.

Attachments

• canbus.jpg
    canbus.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 630
Hey Lee, thanks for that...so managed to get all the instal done and the wires layed in, i had my own loom didnt use a premade one....one big problem, for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to undo the CAN connector from behind to get into the pins, any how tos on this?!

I tried to use scotch locks to tap into the Conveneince CAN wires going into the gateway but it was too late at night and i dont think i did it properly so I could not get any communication up with the camera module 6C.

I have powered the camera module by putting a pin into the red fuse box in the boot and placing a 5 amp fuse there, that should be ok right? I am hoping the power the module wont be an issue, any idea how to check if the module is getting power and is turned on?

Hey Lee, thanks for that...so managed to get all the instal done and the wires layed in, i had my own loom didnt use a premade one....one big problem, for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to undo the CAN connector from behind to get into the pins, any how tos on this?!

I tried to use scotch locks to tap into the Conveneince CAN wires going into the gateway but it was too late at night and i dont think i did it properly so I could not get any communication up with the camera module 6C.

I have powered the camera module by putting a pin into the red fuse box in the boot and placing a 5 amp fuse there, that should be ok right? I am hoping the power the module wont be an issue, any idea how to check if the module is getting power and is turned on?

Remove the light brown cap (see piccy above). There is a pink switch/release at the bottom of the socket which needs to be slid to the right which will allow you to unclip the CAN housing from the fuse box and access the wires. Now the next bit I'm not too sure on, but there is a coloured plastic locking pin which prevents the connector sliding out. There are also two catches that prevent it sliding out too. Good luck I found it to be a real pain.

Attachments

• can_hl10.jpg
    can_hl10.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 469
Ahhh, i was tryna slide that out to the front!!!....will try that today n see if it comes out....now if there is already something in pin 14, can I pin the camera in pin 19 or pin 13? Or should I scotch lock it to the wire in pin 14?

14 to 23 is the convenience bus, so any of these is OK. 13 to 9 is another bus and won't work. 8 to 1 is yet another bus.

ok great, thats sorted out most of the issues now, I have been able to code the camera module (6C) and 5F too so it knows there is meant to be a camera, however I dont see anything on the screen when selecting reverse. I have gone into the 6C looking for any fualts and the below comes up, I am guessing this could be some mess up in the wiring (power wiring) to the camera module so will have to open it up and have a look at it again sometime, but any ideas till then?

Address 6C: Back-up Cam. Labels: 8T0-907-441.clb
Control Module Part Number: 8T0 907 441 C HW: 4L0 907 441 B
Component and/or Version: J772__Rearview 0040
Software Coding: 1002006
Work Shop Code: WSC 02391 785 00200
VCID: 3878B0CF4B402CFEA5-806C
1 Fault Found:
02203 - Audio / Video Input 1
011 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101011
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 13
Mileage: 113584 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2016.05.30
Time: 22:51:27

Freeze Frame:
Term 15 On
Reverse ON
Count: 9

Right, tried to fix the power cable to the camera, It was a bit wonky and now I am getting the following error and still nothing on the screen when putting it in reverse.

1 Fault Found:
02203 - Audio / Video Input 1
007 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100111
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 17
Mileage: 113722 km
Date: 2016.06.01
Time: 17:16:51

Freeze Frame:
Term 15 On
Reverse OFF
Count: 3

Does the fakra input from the camera have to be grounded too?

"Short to ground" suggests some part of the wiring is grounded when it shouldn't be.????
Look for this pdf on the web might help: RVC_Audi_Q5_8R_englisch.pdf.
There is also a German version of the kufatec reversing camera install on the web that might of be of use too.

ok I've just realised a massive **** up i've been working with!...I have connected the output from the camera module to the TV tuner input into the MMI unit instead of pins 5 & 11 on the C block in the quadlock.

Stupidly I though the input would just go into the TV tuner input, so now I need to a new wire to go from the output to the 2 pins!, not sure if I can get someone to make this for me on its own or just have to buy the whole loom!

Although saying all of this, once I had grounded the input from the camera to the module, upon selecting reverse, for a moment the MMI tried to changeover to the camera view (It said the usual warning at the bottom of the screen) but then went back to normal. So me thinks the TV tuner might work too as an input!

Hey all, just picking out this old thread that i created to do my rear view camera retrofit.

I just had not had the time to fix the issues I had but now trying to get it to work, so I have it all plugged in and when I engage reverse gear the screen goes black with the warning message at the bottom for about 5 seconds but no image and then it reverts back to normal screen. Hvaing a look at vcds it gives the following fault and I cant figure out why it is doing this, I have plugged in the fakra cable from the camera module to the pins 5 and 11 in the B block of the quadlock......any advice as to what could be causing the error?

1 Fault Found:

02283 - Video Connection to Output [End Unit]
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101011
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 11
Reset counter: 88
Mileage: 124927 km
Date: 2016.10.30
Time: 15:52:05

Freeze Frame:
Term 15 On
Reverse ON
Count: 4

My money would be on the cable that go's from the camera into the grey plug on the module having a break in it probably you snagged it when putting one of your trims back in place sometimes the c/clips go through these cables which would suggest why you are getting short to ground if you search eBay you can pick up a fakra cable for £10

But the fault seems to suggest something wrong with the connection from from the green fakra to the 2 pins into the back of the MMI....how I have it is basically the inside wire of the fakra cable goes to the Pin 11 (FBAS wire (+) from reversing camera systemcontrol unit) and the outside sheathing wire goes to the Pin 5 (FBAS wire (-) from reversing camera systemcontrol unit)......am I doing this wrong maybe?!

Those MMI connections are correct. Were the green fakra cable pins labelled?

It is the B block they plug into.

nope as I didnt buy a premade loom...i just used some wires I already had....had a fakra cable so I cut one end of it split into 2 connections as mentioned above.

Have you tried swapping 5 and 11 around?? I think FBAS- is not ground but negative so they might not necessarily use the outer coax screening for that????

yeah thats what I was thinking next to do, so I will try to swap these over today and see what happens.....so what would the negative FBAS be using if not the outer sheathing?!

Your fault says video input short to ground so surely this would be between camera and module.

So update.....i rechecked the pins meant to be plugged into pin 5 and 11....stupidly I had them in pin 4 and 10 :sorry:
I put them into the correct positions, cleared the errors on the Camera module, MMI head unit and the Gateway and voila!....I finally have a working rear view camera!!!

Thanks a lot everyone once again, and sorry about my silly stupid mistakes...still a noob! hahaha

Last thing, would it need calibrating?

Hi,

Just wondering what part numbers you used in the end?

I am looking to fit a RVC to a 2014 A4 Avant (facelift/B8.5).

Thanks