Rear suspension mount corroded

wideboybloke

A4 Avant, 4 years old, annual service and 2nd MOT, 25,500 miles. The technician gives you a headcam rundown on his findings which I find useful as I have no means of getting under the car. To my surprise he identified corrosion on one of the rear suspension mountings and marked it as an advisory on the MOT results. I tried to upload photos of the affected side and the ‘good’ side but my photos are apparently too big to upload so I’ll do that later when I’ve figured out how to make them smaller.

Has anybody else experienced this? I’m rather disappointed given that the car is only 4 years old and hasn’t covered a great mileage. I can only imagine it’s a peculiarity of my particular car and plain bad luck. To fix it they quoted £198 inc vat, but as it’s an advisory at this stage I decided to pass on it this time round. I may no longer have the car when the next MOT is due, although I appreciate that the MOT findings are a matter of public record so it’s not something that will go unnoticed to anybody who does their homework.

I would normally have moved the car on by now, but I really like this one so I have decided to keep it for a further year with an extended warranty.

wideboybloke

Managed to compress the photo of the affected side. Still persevering with the photo of the ‘good’ side

Attachments

• D395B232-EEAB-4C24-92E7-0F43928DA9A1.jpeg
    D395B232-EEAB-4C24-92E7-0F43928DA9A1.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 152

jefaz07

Mine are the same. I started a thread on this a few months ago. When my car was was about 36 months old. Both mine are the same.

I have just been in the garage and had the video inspection back. It wasn’t mentioned at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wideboybloke

Mine are the same. I started a thread on this a few months ago. When my car was was about 36 months old. Both mine are the same.

I have just been in the garage and had the video inspection back. It wasn’t mentioned at all.

That’s interesting. No explanation was offered as to why it was highlighted as an advisory, so did I perhaps have an over-cautious MOT examiner - or, more cynically, an over-enthusiastic business developer? I’ll have a look at your earlier post.

jefaz07

That’s interesting. No explanation was offered as to why it was highlighted as an advisory, so did I perhaps have an over-cautious MOT examiner - or, more cynically, an over-enthusiastic business developer? I’ll have a look at your earlier post.

Sorry I didn’t mean 36 I meant 30 months old.

gimk

84f5a36db9ae02d3d639fc00dba380c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
This definitely must be a component failure or design fault. My 41 months old A4 saloon had the same faults on both rear spring mount at inspection.
This must be a component or design fault. My A4 saloon 41 months at 35000 miles had the same defect at inspection. Audi must know about these defects in their cars

Attachments

• 50248FF5-6D0A-4631-BBC8-312145EE0386.jpeg
    50248FF5-6D0A-4631-BBC8-312145EE0386.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

gimk

FF887721-8CBE-4F93-86A1-19B9F076DD10.jpeg
0C2A3C8E-080B-4BF6-92BF-2FB2FAD8683E.jpeg

Pictures of my rear mounts. Got it fixed on extended warranty

wideboybloke

jefaz07

Are people being flagged up for these?
Like I said earlier, when Audi done my walkthrough it was never mentioned.

Mr Olympik

Are people being flagged up for these?
Like I said earlier, when Audi done my walkthrough it was never mentioned.

Not all Audi stealers are born the same. Some are genuinely knowledgable, most are a waste of time and more importantly money.

A

And1

I was also informed of this when car was under 3 years old by Audi main dealer they said very minor wear and when it was mot'd there was no mention of it!

wideboybloke

I was also informed of this when car was under 3 years old by Audi main dealer they said very minor wear and when it was mot'd there was no mention of it!
Was the corrosion on yours as bad as in the photos above?

A

And1

They never showed me a picture just mentioned it. But when it had its mot 6 months later nothing was said then.

gimk

They never showed me a picture just mentioned it. But when it had its mot 6 months later nothing was said then.
When I had my first MOT in January nothing was mentioned only to have both mounts corroded at the inspection and oil change in July