Rear suspension creaking

The Doctor

Reaction score
Website
www.wbmcc.com
Hi chaps,

After replacing my rear pads a couple of weeks ago, my rear nearside suspension has started making a creaking sound over bumps. Haven't had the chance to get under and have a look but I suspect one/some of the bushes may be perishing, and I think that jacking the car up has caused the issue. Anyone had a similar issue or a suggestion? Going to have a closer look this weekend.

Are the rear wishbone / shock / ARB bushes on the rear easy to replace?

Mine creaks occasionally Paul, can't see anything split, but I'm going to strip it down and copper grease everything just incase, it's starting to look rusty in those areas on mine!

i have creaking all round on mine its doing my head now, after the move im on replacing every rubber going

Nope, definitely not that. Been out under the car this evening and the tie bars are perfect. Cleaned the crud off and there's no sign of any stress / cracking at either end of the upper or lower bars. Can't see anything else untoward either (except the need for a good clean and another coat of Waxoyl before the onset of winter).

Strangely enough the creaking stopped this morning, and the roads were wet on the way to work, so I suspect that it's just a dry bush / joint that's been disturbed when I had the car up on axle stands.

It does sound like the rose bush I have the same problem Audi have made repair kit with different rose bushes sorting it out soon

but I'm going to strip it down and copper grease everything just incase

Make sure you don't get the copper grease on any of the rubber suspension components, bushes, seals, gaiters etc. It will destroy them.

Some people tell you to put copper grease on everything before you put it back together but I learnt the hard way years ago on my bike that it f**ks everything up - IMHO!

Liam

I'll just keep an ear out for it, and if it comes back / gets worse I'll replace the bushes. Fine again today so I think it's settled down again.

I've heard the rear trailing arm bushes can cause this as well.

Any news on what this was? I suddenly have a creaking over some bumps from the nearside. Rose joints were fine 2 weeks back when I fitted the rear arms so not sure what it is.

can you just replace the bushes with poly 1's and this gets sorted? I think mines ok, but sometimes if you hit a bump in a corner the rear seems to move a little. I thought it could just be standard suspension..
I forgot about those little beauties. If they're worn though the car feels a bit unstable cornering.

I Had this noise found out it was the suspension stone guard tray vibrating on the suspension causing a knocking noise over every bump. I thought it was bushes etc. cable tied them out the way until I get funds to replace them at £44 each from Audi.

The creaking stopped after a couple of days, I guess as the suspension bedded in again after being jacked up while I replaced the pads.

I had a good look at the tie bars and bushes/joints and couldn't see any obvious issues.

Planning to replace tie bars & bushes/joints in the spring when I fit my Bilstein B8 dampers.

Mine only seems to do it once it's been driven for like 15-20 minutes. I'm going to chuck a load of inox spray grease on the heim joints on the control arms and see if that solves it. They're meant to be PTFE lined though so shouldn't need it. I get a similar noise when the handbrakes kinda half on too.