Rear Sub Unit

Thanks! I listen to mostly dance, house, deep house and occasionally some random pop (when the Mrs is in the car on a long journey :) ).

I actually already have a brand new pair of JBL GT6-6 and a pair of Focal 165CA1 which I was planning on installing in my old A4, but never got round to, before selling it on. I was planning on using either of those for the rear tbh. Both are decent speakers from what I heard, but I'm open to suggestions at this point :)

OK so I'd go with the Focal over the JBL although the JBL is a great speaker, the Focal tweeter will be a bit sharper so should be able to give you the nice top end on dance-type music.

Also I'd go with a ported 8" or 10" subwoofer with the port tuning frequency around 40Hz which is where the bass in dance music hovers around.

What sort of budget have you got for sub, sub box, amp wiring kit etc?

Reactions: leshkin
OK so I'd go with the Focal over the JBL although the JBL is a great speaker, the Focal tweeter will be a bit sharper so should be able to give you the nice top end on dance-type music.

Also I'd go with a ported 8" or 10" subwoofer with the port tuning frequency around 40Hz which is where the bass in dance music hovers around.

What sort of budget have you got for sub, sub box, amp wiring kit etc?

Budget is about £500-600, but I'm happy to go a bit above that for the right kit to be honest. My primary concern is keeping the boot practical and usable, while getting the best sound I can out of it. I was hoping to use the same stealthy enclosure as jordann, but not sure how that fits in with your ported sub enclosure suggestion :(

Budget is about £500-600, but I'm happy to go a bit above that for the right kit to be honest. My primary concern is keeping the boot practical and usable, while getting the best sound I can out of it. I was hoping to use the same stealthy enclosure as jordann, but not sure how that fits in with your ported sub enclosure suggestion :(

It doesn't need to be ported, on second thoughts ported may be too bass heavy and I'm sure you won't want to for the chav boom boom lol.

Subwoofer - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/subwoofers/12-inch-subs-30cm/hertz-energy-es300-5

amplifier - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/amplifiers/multi-channel-amps/hertz-hcp-4d

If you'd like me to send some pictures, I do have a sideload box that I used in my car before I took it out, you can have that for the materials it cost me since I've used it in the past.

It doesn't need to be ported, on second thoughts ported may be too bass heavy and I'm sure you won't want to for the chav boom boom lol.

Subwoofer - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/subwoofers/12-inch-subs-30cm/hertz-energy-es300-5

amplifier - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/amplifiers/multi-channel-amps/hertz-hcp-4d

If you'd like me to send some pictures, I do have a sideload box that I used in my car before I took it out, you can have that for the materials it cost me since I've used it in the past.

Thanks! Interesting to see the box too. could you PM me details and some pics and I might have it off you! :)

@leshkin - No worries :grimacing:

I've seen a few old posts on Andy Mac's stealth box, actually this has reminded me of something. The box I bought from CarAudioSecurity doesn't actually have any fixture points so you can't bolt it into place.

I'm not sure if you've got a 3dr or 5dr but I've seen a couple of people mount their amp by the rear speakers, it would require some doctoring though ;)

@leshkin - No worries :grimacing:

I've seen a few old posts on Andy Mac's stealth box, actually this has reminded me of something. The box I bought from CarAudioSecurity doesn't actually have any fixture points so you can't bolt it into place.

I'm not sure if you've got a 3dr or 5dr but I've seen a couple of people mount their amp by the rear speakers, it would require some doctoring though ;)
Yeah, my current S3 is 5door, so mounting options are further restricted. On the old install I had the amp just behind the b pillar.

I'm tempted to rig up an amp shelf to sit on top of the spare wheel, like this install: https://tadasauce.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/audi-a3-custom-stealth-audio-system-install/ (Definitely don't want the fiberglass box though :) )

yeah, the half stealth box isn't bolted in, mines started to work its way out of the hole it rests in, need to work out a way of bolting it in

I'd think that it should be possible to make a couple of metal brackets that bolt on to the body and then the sub box, but I have no experience with this..... Just yet :)

If I was doing this, I would measure the brackets without the liner and line them up with the fixing points on the car, making sure that these are located where the liner can be cut through to make neat flaps (like the ones to remove the rear lights). Then once the liner is in place and sub is being fitted, screw the brackets to the car through the flaps created earlier. It should be possible to make these flaps quite neat too.

I'm gonna give it a try tonight, another slight issue with this unit is the ball on the end of the parcel shelf string&, hits the speaker when your driving

@leshkin - That's a good idea mate! I've stolen so many ideas of different threads and just tweaked them to my needs.

I did initially think about hiding my amp completely but I wanted for it to be out of the way, but accessible with as much air flow as I could get to it.

I'd really recommend the box I've got, it's on a link at the top of the box. By the time you've bought the materials, measured the box got everything right and as the box should be it's so much easier just to spend £60 and getting the box. The exact same box can be found on eBay much cheaper than what the company in the link offers it at.

Let me know how you get on, or if you do a thread pop me a link :)

@Orange225 - Finally I might actually be able to help someone, although you may have already entertained the idea. I used a wooden template behind the carpet, then screwed the template to the box, threw the carpet. That sub box isn't going anywhere!

Might be an idea for you? I believe it actually came with a template when purchased, although if you're like me anything you deem unnecessary get's thrown straight out.

I did actually think of doing that. About 2" all the way round just to reinforce it. I've figure a way to stop the parcel strings hitting too, mk4 golf retracting ones

I did exactly this build about a ago. Car will be up for sale soon with the build still in it. I used all JL audio components with Focal audio Carbon fiber 6'' speakers all round. JL Audio have an excellent reputation for quality, the specs are good for the price, and over a year later, it still sounds superb!
Worth noting:
Although Amps with high level inputs may seem attractive as they are more simple to fit, if you are looking for fidelity, they are a compromise. What they are doing is taking an already amplified and processed (by the headunit) signal, stepping it down to line level (anything up to about 3V Pk-Pk), and then applying their own signal processing and amplification. This extra step is not ideal as it is another opportunity for noise to be introduced. Most Audi headunits actually have a set of 4 (Front L, R, Rear L, R) Pre outs which are already at line level and designed specifically for this type of application. I used those on my Symphony II Headunit to power my amps.
This is how mine came out, it doesn't look perfect, but it works well. The fans are controlled by a digital temp controller (£3 on ebay), I have set them to kick in at 36c and back out at 34c, this seems to be a good window.
Also grounding the amps in the boot and also grounding the pre-out cables from the head unit caused me ground loop issues (as the chassis of the car does not conduct as well as the OFC cable), So all four of my preouts go through 1-1 wound isolation transformers
Any questions feel free to ask!

@Orange225 - Retractable parcel shelf strings, excellent idea. I'll have a look into that!

You're right about the useless template, mine snapped when we used it for marking up a cut-out. I'd already got my head set on building a fake wooden wall behind the carpet wall to screw the amp so mine was pretty sturdy, although it did present a fitment issue when trying to get all the clips back in.

@Orange225 - Retractable parcel shelf strings, excellent idea. I'll have a look into that!

You're right about the useless template, mine snapped when we used it for marking up a cut-out. I'd already got my head set on building a fake wooden wall behind the carpet wall to screw the amp so mine was pretty sturdy, although it did present a fitment issue when trying to get all the clips back in.
****** brilliant idea Orange225! Took me nearly three months to work out why the sub made a knocking noise around corners!! ****** me right off so I fitted that ugly grill!