Rear spring on 2.5 TDI Quattro sport avant

spartacus68

Reaction score
Second day back at work after a fortnight on the west coast, and I heard a 'twang-crack' noise leaving the car park. I've parked it up and taken a pool car, but I assume it's a rear spring. Probably sheared an inch off it, although I haven't had a proper investigation - before I go ordering parts. It's a little lower on one side at the rear. :banghead:

The rear springs were changed prior to an MOT back in September 2009 at 95k. Now at 140k three years later. Incidentally we were loaded to the gunwales with wife, kids, luggage and hauling a boat last week. Probably par for the course. Are main dealer springs the best, or worth going for after-market alternatives. And before anyone says they have to be changed in pairs - I'm seriously skint, so I'm planning to just do the damaged side. Could be false economy, but needs must.

Anything else to watch out for. I have spring compressors and have done springs on the front, but never the rear... and rear springs on my wife's A2 doesn't count which I've changed before.

If its a sport model (and being a quattro its likely that it is) then your only option for springs is the main dealer. Getting aftermarket ones will give you non-sport springs, which will raise the back of the car a significant amount over stock.

I have a pair of nearly-new S4 rear springs, should be pretty similar if not the same as the ones originally fitted to your TDI Quattro.

I'd do you the pair for 40quid delivered? I believe the dealer charges about 60quid for one.

Drop me a PM if your interested!

The box section that hold the strut will most likely be corroded. It isn't too bad a job to weld in a plate, as long as you know it may be needed
You'd be as well changing the dampers whilst they are off. Hers seemed fine, but once off, you could feel they were tired - I used Bilstein B6s to increase the stiffness, but B4s are about OEM (don't know which one equates to the Sport pack).
The dealer springs are £70 - £80 depending on your spring code - about the same as after-market good ones. Lowered by 20mm is PR code BE (Look in the book/boot sticker)
If you don't go for Aragorns offer, go to Aberdeen Audi - they were great helping me with mine. (More Spring/Damper Questions!)
I keep meaning to add some pics in my How to replace front and rear suspension parts (with pics) thread!

I'm not far from you, so PM me if you want a chat about it

Thanks for links PAULF... lots to read. Checked my service book. It's an AKN engine code. The code N5F/BE (interior equipment) is also there which I assume is sport pack? I may well replace rear shocks as they're original, and will be on their way out. I've already replaced entire front arms, top mounts, and ARB bushes front, but left front shocks for time being. On the rear I just changed rear ARB bushes, new handbrake cable, etc.

If Aragon's S4 springs fit, will B6 Bilsteins be good match? I just want to return it to original. I don't want to enhance performance as ride was perfect... like an Amtrak locomotive on rails for cornering!

If Aragon's S4 springs fit, will B6 Bilsteins be good match? I just want to return it to original. I don't want to enhance performance as ride was... like an Amtrak locomotive on rails for cornering![/QUOTE

It's hard to say.
Because I fitted the 1BT code springs, from the original 1BE sports, the car went from 20mm lowered to 7mm raised - a 27mm height change. The fitted dampers were the sports ones from the 1BE code, and the car was pretty planted without being harsh. With raising the height, I have obviously increased the roll capability, so thought B6s would help counter this.
B4s claim OEM, with B6s being slightly harder. However, the sports dampers on the 1BE systems should be harder than the stock dampers. You can definitely feel the harder damping up and down my road - bearing in mind the springs were also HD so were better shock absorbers. On the real roads, the handling is a bit strange, as it feels like it should roll more than it does (bearing in mind my saloon has the 32mm/21mm ARBs fitted) As you increase the rate of change, the harder damping really does tighten it up, so conversely it feels like it rolls less as you fling it into bends harder! The ride feels fine - I would say a little harder than my saloon, but not harsh . I would expect you would find it a pretty good setup with the 1BE springs. If you are worried, then just go for B4s or even OEMs.
Bad news is the cost. I got my B6s from Larkspeed, and IIRC they were about £115 each corner!

Last edited:
Thanks for PAULF. Meant to be a half decent day tomorrow, so I'm going to dismantle and see what's involved. I can't afford to replace the rear shocks at that price, so unless they're leaking they're staying put! I already have timing belt, auxilliary belt, thermostat and a water pump to get fitted prior to next month's MOT!