Rear speakers not working (non bose)

Dylan Johnson

Test123
Reaction score
First of all I know there is loads of these threads and im sorry lol.

I bought the car with an aftermarket JVC radio and I knew before I seen the car the speakers wont be working anyway I bought it few month ago and only now just got round to having a look at it.

So I know the rear speakers are amplified and thats why its not working so I was just wondering would a PC9-401 cable solve my issue?

Also there is 2 wires (definitely not factory) I was wondering if anyone knows what theyre for (pics below) has the rear amp been "hardwired" with these wires?

6613dd1ca424bc593ec19b2adb76b37c.jpg

Back of the radio:
e4ebe2af5a6dd396c3ec3a0107550273.jpg

Put a post on this in the ICE forum, you may get some more answers there.

You need to send a switch 12v to the rear speaker amplifiers to enable them. Problem solved

You need to send a switch 12v to the rear speaker amplifiers to enable them. Problem solved

Wich wire would it be in my A3 2012 quattro sline?
I also change my headunit for a Pionneer AVH-2300 NEX and I can’t get these rear speakers work as well.

I see lot of threads about this concern, but no one seams to help me for now?!?!

Thank you

I also change my headunit for a Pionneer AVH-2300 NEX and I can’t get these rear speakers work as well.

I see lot of threads about this concern, but no one seams to help me for now?!?!

Thank you

Find the wire what would normally connect to this pin, and connect that to IGN or to the Blue and White wire (It's often called Power Amp Remote) which comes out of the Pioneer

Attachments

• rear speaker fix.PNG
    rear speaker fix.PNG
    206.8 KB · Views: 8,549
Find the wire what would normally connect to this pin, and connect that to IGN or to the Blue and White wire (It's often called Power Amp Remote) which comes out of the Pioneer

Thank you for your answer aqibi2000, that helped.

Here is the diagram on my concert radio: the thing is that I have the same IGN that you have plus another wire named BOSE as well... That is where I'M confused right now

Attachments

• IMG_1069(1).JPG.58e21392f62dd98b8d569f54da61db1b.JPG
    IMG_1069(1).JPG.58e21392f62dd98b8d569f54da61db1b.JPG
    926.1 KB · Views: 7,205
  • 5aaf1a1106ebc_MAESTROFULLDIAGRAM.jpg.717f884aab806796a773cd4ddd1b0116.jpg
    5aaf1a1106ebc_MAESTROFULLDIAGRAM.jpg.717f884aab806796a773cd4ddd1b0116.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 8,771
The diagram shows a quadlock connector not the ISO connector like in your original post

please clarify what connections you have etc then I can help properly

I've changed my Concert Headunit for a new Pionneer AVH-2300 NEX, 7inches display. I also use the iDataLINK Maestro RR control for retaining the stearing wheel fonctions. I used the VW1 harness, sold by iDataLINK to make the connections.

Everything was fine until I’ve noticed a weird noice in my backdoor tweater: no sound is actually produced by the rear speakers. In fact, I have a car version that is semi amplified, thing that I’ve just learned and maestro does not retain the oem amplifier. The front speakers work fine, but no sound comes from the rear speaker.

Here is the picture of the radio back:
5aaf1793cbdd6_PIONNEERAVH-2300NEXBACK.jpg.0c88517dd7008b16ef15f81555ecde82.jpg

Here is the diagram of my installation:
5aaf1a1106ebc_MAESTROFULLDIAGRAM.jpg.717f884aab806796a773cd4ddd1b0116.jpg

Here is a closer look of the harness connection (the VW1) thas goes in the aftermarket radio:
5aaf18335bde0_ConnexionsMaestroRr.thumb.jpg.9730a04f01d4d434869d230d38cf6d38.jpg

And finally, the diagrampicture that was on my original concert radio:
IMG_1069(1).thumb.JPG.25ef94102fe0bf99287837c99f6c12c2.JPG

Is it enough for you to help me sort this out?

The diagram shows a quadlock connector not the ISO connector like in your original post... What is the difference again? do I have more connexions to do?

Attachments

• 5aaf1793cbdd6_PIONNEERAVH-2300NEXBACK.jpg.0c88517dd7008b16ef15f81555ecde82.jpg
    5aaf1793cbdd6_PIONNEERAVH-2300NEXBACK.jpg.0c88517dd7008b16ef15f81555ecde82.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 5,313
I have recently started to see alot off these posts about people trying to retrofit new head units to there cars and can only say unless you have done your reasearch about your new unit ie understanding the wiring and where it goes i would pay the guys who know how to do it and that way you will have paid good money for a great job and would save yourselfs all the hassles you all seem to be having . Bring on the retrofitters .:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I have recently started to see alot off these posts about people trying to retrofit new head units to there cars and can only say unless you have done your reasearch about your new unit ie understanding the wiring and where it goes i would pay the guys who know how to do it and that way you will have paid good money for a great job and would save yourselfs all the hassles you all seem to be having . Bring on the retrofitters .:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

You know what the funniest par in that story is: I paid a shop to do the installation! They did not tell me that the rear speaker didn't work, just tried to make the job half done, take my payment and run away. I notice that after 2-3 days in my car when I started to hear a buzz in my speaker and play with the fader balance… They don’t seem to understand, me too, how the wires work in my car. I search everywhere to solve the problems, but it seems that AUDI change their wiring for each and every car, and it is getting hard to understand the difference between each car.

The problem comes, in big part, that pionneer recommend to use the iData Link harness and Maestro to fit their HeadUnit, but iDatalink does not support the Audi that comes with OEM amps…

You know what the funniest par in that story is: I paid a shop to do the installation! They did not tell me that the rear speaker didn't work, just tried to make the job half done, take my payment and run away. I notice that after 2-3 days in my car when I started to hear a buzz in my speaker and play with the fader balance… They don’t seem to understand, me too, how the wires work in my car. I search everywhere to solve the problems, but it seems that AUDI change their wiring for each and every car, and it is getting hard to understand the difference between each car.

The problem comes, in big part, that pionneer recommend to use the iData Link harness and Maestro to fit their HeadUnit, but iDatalink does not support the Audi that comes with OEM amps…
I am sorry to hear you where ripped off , but you should have checked it all worked b4 taking it away .
As for the part that is not compatiable with the Audi amp what was the point off buying said unit if you where going to have to change out amp . Maybe some more research would have saved you problems or maybe seeking out proper retrofitters would have been better . A costly lesson learnt

I am sorry to hear you where ripped off , but you should have checked it all worked b4 taking it away .
As for the part that is not compatiable with the Audi amp what was the point off buying said unit if you where going to have to change out amp . Maybe some more research would have saved you problems or maybe seeking out proper retrofitters would have been better . A costly lesson learnt

Euh... ok then...

Thank you! I'll now try to find an Halfords shop here in canada :):thumbs up:

Thank you! I'll now try to find an Halfords shop here in canada :):thumbs up:
You could go on the net and put in Halfords.co.uk look for the part and contact them and see if they have oversea places in Canada

Thank you

Do you have bose or just rear amplified speakers?
You will definately be able to get the rear speakers working but you will need to buy a different harness/adaptor for the cables which will send power to the rear speakers. There are lots on eBay, connects2 usually do most things so they will probably have one.
I can’t tell you which one you need as I havent had a look but I’ve seen them before so you can definately get them. Type in something like ‘Audi A3 bose adaptor’.

Reactions: Boud
Thank you. Tommorow, I have an appointement with the car audio dealer / installer here in Qc City. He was the one that first did the job, and suggest me to go with this equipment (harness and Maestro Rr). He wanted to change the harness as you suggest. We will see what he is gonna do, cause I paied I'm a lot to do the job and it was made not properly. I'M suppose to have a certain "Waranty" on his job at least, no???

I was thinking about that: why wouldn't I just cut the 2 wires that send the audio signal the the rear amp and connect to rca port of my new HeadUnit. Also, I sawe that the remote was not plugged to the rear amp. Maybe, it is just that? Everyone seems to use harness these days? Is that because there is something wrong doing new connections "old school style"?

But hey, thank you ab1702 for the advice. Everyone seems to say that connects2 (a brand that I never heard of here in Quebec) are doing nice car harness, I'll give this a shot if it doesn't work tomorrow!

Thank you. Tommorow, I have an appointement with the car audio dealer / installer here in Qc City. He was the one that first did the job, and suggest me to go with this equipment (harness and Maestro Rr). He wanted to change the harness as you suggest. We will see what he is gonna do, cause I paied I'm a lot to do the job and it was made not properly. I'M suppose to have a certain "Waranty" on his job at least, no???

I was thinking about that: why wouldn't I just cut the 2 wires that send the audio signal the the rear amp and connect to rca port of my new HeadUnit. Also, I sawe that the remote was not plugged to the rear amp. Maybe, it is just that? Everyone seems to use harness these days? Is that because there is something wrong doing new connections "old school style"?

But hey, thank you ab1702 for the advice. Everyone seems to say that connects2 (a brand that I never heard of here in Quebec) are doing nice car harness, I'll give this a shot if it doesn't work tomorrow!

As you said in the middle part your problem is the rear amp and it is because it isn’t getting any power now that the Audi unit has been taken out(which is why your rear speakers aren’t working). Your new harness may not have a remote cable on it to be able to power the amp(but if it has then it needs connecting to a switched power connection) so you somehow need to get power to the amp or you need to get another harness that is able to do that for you. As soon as you get power to the amp then the rear speakers will come on.

The rear speaker amplifiers have a separate 12V feed for powering, you only need to worry about IGN/or the Remote Wire from H.U to turn on the rear amps to DSP EIN from what I can recall (not 100% on this but very easy to try yourself - as it was a good 5 years ago)

Just use a wire and touch it to a 12V pin and see if the rear speakers some come on

Attachments

• Audi Rear Amp (non-Bose).jpg
    Audi Rear Amp (non-Bose).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 8,071
Last edited:
The rear speaker amplifiers have a separate 12V feed for powering, you only need to worry about IGN/or the Remote Wire from H.U to turn on the rear amps to DSP EIN from what I can recall (not 100% on this but very easy to try yourself - as it was a good 5 years ago)
Just use a wire and touch it to a 12V pin and see if the rear speakers some come on

That is what I did without seeing your add and you are totally right, I have sound now. Thank you guys!

For this "not compatiable with the Audi amp ", everything is compatible with everything else in sound. We talk about sound here. A line input made by JBL, BOSE, ALPINE, PIONNEER, whatever builder, is the same: even Audi! The garage fix the problem for free today! So I was not ripped off at the end. Just takes more times, and nights of research to find the HEADUNIT diagram and trying to understand the meaning of how they call thing at Audi: what does (digital signal processor) DSP EIN stand for? For them: It is remote. Even the Audi dealer here in Quebec city didn't wanted to help me sort out my problem...

I think that the difference when you change something in an Audi, it is only that instead of doing things like every other company would do and think, they, doing things "other ways, their way". Sometimes it is better, sometimes, it is not!

In this case, I would say NOT deffinetly.

The Audi speaker are really cool: they sound great for OEM (and I say for OEM). Nothing to say about this, dont think about changing that for nothing. The one that are plug directly in my PIONNEER head unit sounds great in my car right now!!! NIce output, the bass is really upfront and react quickly! But for the one that are pluged in the OEM amp, ouch, that sound like crap. No power, this amp is not even powerfull enough to follow the radio at all (and my pionneer output channel are only 50w / channel). The sound is as clear as the one in front doors, but, there is totally not enough power to take advantage of the quality of the speaker according to me.

My advice for those who have the same problem than me, don't waste your time fixing this amp problem. Bypass, send your sound signal to another amp or directly into the rear speaker, that will fix the problem instead of fixing something that will need upgrade anyway.

So, right now, I'm in the process of changing this amp... I will have to find the wire diagram of the amp (does anyone have thins in and by any chance), feed the new amp from the battery of the car, wire all the car and now enjoy what these OEM speakers can give for real...

Still, I don't have any disturbing noice coming for my rear tweater!!!

Front reading your post it would appear that the rear sounds like **** because you need a a hi/lo line converter. You are driving the input of the rear speaker amplifier from the high power amplifier output of the Pioneer headunit...

It's simply a voltage divider. Made a diagram for you.

High Low Converter

Last edited:
Front reading your post it would appear that the rear sounds like **** because you need a a hi/lo line converter. You are driving the input of the rear speaker amplifier from the high power amplifier output of the Pioneer headunit...

It's simply a voltage divider. Made a diagram for you.

View attachment 151427

Hi aqibi2000!

Thanks a lot for that information, I'll try to put them tomorrow in my acoustic chain, we'll see how the sound quality will upgrade.

We have a lot of these in XLR connectors at my job. Just change the line signal for a balanced XLR connector, and they will fit my radio, do you think?

I wouldn't say that the rear speaker sounds like **** though. I don’t hear annoying noises, the highs are ok, the mid a bit shy and the bass is ok. Everything sounds ok, but compared to the ones in the front doors, they have WAYYYYYY less power. I feel like they have been driven by an amp that have 1/2 the power than the one in front.

For the 5 speakers addition that I just made today, I wouldn’t say that I upgraded my sound system by 2 as I thought it would have done (and the main reason why I wanted to find the solution of my wrong connexions and not use my ALPINE amp that it was sleeping on a shelf at my home).

For the sound quality, it is harder to judge an speaker that is half push to what it is capable of than another one that is really pushed. But hey, maybe it is just me... I’ll try to configure some delay with the rear speakers tomorrow; maybe it will help a bit too...

Thank you again for the schema, it really makes me think about the XLR 3 PINS connector that we use in our sound system in the show business industry!

Changing to an XLR connector as you know will have zero acoustics improvement.
You need to adjust the front/rear position to be more rear biased then just increase the volume. This will push the rear speakers more.

Changing to an XLR connector as you know will have zero acoustics improvement.
You need to adjust the front/rear position to be more rear biased then just increase the volume. This will push the rear speakers more.

I did exactly what you said yesterday when I changed my EQ setting to fit the new speaker (wich is now a 13 bands instead of low and High as it was with the concert). I changed the fader to push a bit more the rear speaker as you also said, in order to have a better ballance between the rear and the front speaker. The thing is, if I want to be as loud as in the front, I'm almost 100% back and nothing in the front. When I krank up the master volume, I'm now at 100%, and the front speaker are under pushed then....

I deffinetly need to try your "hi/lo line converter" trick...

I'll give you update as soon as it is done :)

Thank you Aquibi2000 for these good advice, you know your AUDI audio ;)

Glad to see your head unit problem is getting there as this post is a good read , mind take some pics off the upgrade as this could help felloe members just incase they want to do this to there car in the future cheers

Hey!

Here is the pic of the head unit and one from the hole in the dash!

Enjoy

https://forums.audipassion.com/uplo...DA.jpeg.572e1d8940aaecb1c25e6fddbf1ba8cf.jpeg

https://forums.audipassion.com/uplo...mb.jpeg.1a6b9a10adc1bf2dc45f3eb704f1b514.jpeg

Here is also the picture of the car from the outside.

https://forums.audipassion.com/uplo....jpg.jpg.74ba4a8e79aaed508ed2f2bce1c304f4.jpg

When I will take more picture of the inside, I will update the post!
That 2nd picture is 1 cluster Fu*k and now i can see why your having so many problems , there is a lot to be said ny just sticking to the Audi rns-e. I hope you get it all sorted out .

That 2nd picture is 1 cluster Fu*k and now i can see why your having so many problems , there is a lot to be said ny just sticking to the Audi rns-e. I hope you get it all sorted out .

Oh yeah! I'm doing ok, just a lack of power from the OEM amp, but I'll sort this quickly. The OEM speakers of the car sounds pretty descent though! And there is 10 speakers in the car wich is really cool to me, the sound is well spread in this car.

Oh yeah! I'm doing ok, just a lack of power from the OEM amp, but I'll sort this quickly. The OEM speakers of the car sounds pretty descent though! And there is 10 speakers in the car wich is really cool to me, the sound is well spread in this car.
Cool cool. Let us all see what it's like once you get it all done . Might be worth going to a site called ( https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showHome.do ) and pay for one day pass and print off all the wire diagrams and anuthing else for your age off car .

Good idea!

I also have access to a software called Mitchell and there is a lot of diagrams and repair method for my Audio.

But I’ll put this website in my favorites for sure!

Here is what my new radio looks like.... full 2018 feature

Attachments

• 61510650-AF61-4488-9E5A-9CF8E5944A3E.jpeg
    61510650-AF61-4488-9E5A-9CF8E5944A3E.jpeg
    711.3 KB · Views: 5,655
Hey guys how can I make my Audi A3 steering wheel work?
Please help

I'm really struggling to get any sound from rear speakers on 2005 a3 8p1
I've got very very muffled sound from the sub but nothing else coming from the rear
I'm currently using the ct20au10 harness plugged in to rear rca outputs on jvc head unit after replacing the audi concert
The muffled sound comes when I wrap the amp remote cable from HU to the blue and white from the harness