Rear side of car has collapsed?

Usmxn

Reaction score
Hi guys, just went out and realised the car is making some sort of a clanking noise as I tried over these terrible roads

It's also dropped on the rear side which is where the noise is coming from.

Anyone have any idea what has happened?

Broken spring gets my vote have a look under it.

Reactions: Jake 61 and CarbonMike
Seconded, looks like a broken spring. Have a check to make sure it hasn't started to damage the tyre.

I'd go for broken coil spring.

Remember to replace suspension components in pairs and while you're under there check the dampers and mounts too :)

Damn, is it not safe to drive now then?

Is it a good time to change for aftermarket coilovers?

As above. I'd go for broken spring. Worth checking the shock absorber as well. Be careful if driving as the handling will be affected.

Hi guys, just went out and realised the car is making some sort of a clanking noise as I tried over these terrible roads

It's also dropped on the rear side which is where the noise is coming from.

Anyone have any idea what has happened?

Well...cars have personality and your car was so jelly about the other cool cars driving around town lowered that it just fixed itself! That stance is on point now. So take advice from your car and keep it lowered with a new suspension AND you need spacers. other than that, all good!!!

Reactions: LEE69, Jake 61, Pinky1959 and 1 other person
Well...cars have personality and your car was so jelly about the other cool cars driving around town lowered that it just fixed itself! That stance is on point now. So take advice from your car and keep it lowered with a new suspension AND you need spacers. other than that, all good!!!

LOL this cracked me up

Reactions: saq85
Update :

AA came and checked the car, raised it up on a jack, no spring damage whatsoever, car came off the jack and was back to normal height

However there is still a rattling clanking sort of noise coming from the back?

Any guesses now guys?

My money is still on either the spring or the shock absorber in that order. You need to get it up on a ramp to check the springs/shockers properly.

Will take it for its MOT tomorrow since its due and see what it fails on

I hope you have a friendly MOT tester that won't fail and retest the car. Hopefully they'll repair in-situ or not notice the broken spring, pass it so you can get it changed, which you'll do anyway.

Is it possible the rubber the spring sits on has come away? That would cause the noise but not the car to drop that much.

If you do lots of town driving coilovers may be too stiff. I can definitely recommend the eibach sportline or pro-kit springs though. Pro-kit will drop the car up to 10mm from where it sits, the sportline about 20mm.

I hope you have a friendly MOT tester that won't fail and retest the car. Hopefully they'll repair in-situ or not notice the broken spring, pass it so you can get it changed, which you'll do anyway.

Is it possible the rubber the spring sits on has come away? That would cause the noise but not the car to drop that much.

If you do lots of town driving coilovers may be too stiff. I can definitely recommend the eibach sportline or pro-kit springs though. Pro-kit will drop the car up to 10mm from where it sits, the sportline about 20mm.

Wellllll we'll see how friendly he is, if they fail it I don't have to pay again do I? I have time to resolve the issue no?

It's a confusing one because when the aa mechanic jacked up the car and checked underneath he said there was no damage at all to the springs etc and when the jack was removed the cars ride height was back to normal however the noise remained?

After the car sitting so low I'm tempted to go for the sport line but we'll see how much cash I have spare :p

My guess is the shock absorber is mullered.
Retest fees are at the discression of the MOT garage, Mines free for as long as I want within reason.

My guess is the shock absorber is mullered.
Retest fees are at the discression of the MOT garage, Mines free for as long as I want within reason.

Will see what they're like tomorrow
Hopefully all goes well

Definitely the spring, very common on the 8P and Mk V Golf platform. Get the other one replaced at the same time. OEM is around £65 +VAT per spring. Both mine had snapped and I never even noticed until it was MOT time! No noise or difference in handling! I thought it looked lower than it should've done!

Wellllll we'll see how friendly he is, if they fail it I don't have to pay again do I? I have time to resolve the issue no?

It's a confusing one because when the aa mechanic jacked up the car and checked underneath he said there was no damage at all to the springs etc and when the jack was removed the cars ride height was back to normal however the noise remained?

After the car sitting so low I'm tempted to go for the sport line but we'll see how much cash I have spare :p

Usually free retest but it's up to the MOT station.

I'd go for sportline if you like that height because they would replicate the height in the pic lol and you can just about get away with OEM shocks for a while until you save for some better ones.

Don't forget you'd have to budget for spacers too.

Update:

Most of you guys were right, it was a broken spring.

AA mechanic couldn't see it was broken due to it sitting at the bottom which was only noticed when up on a ramp

Apart from this it's got a clean bill of health

Reactions: pluves1
Usually free retest but it's up to the MOT station.

I'd go for sportline if you like that height because they would replicate the height in the pic lol and you can just about get away with OEM shocks for a while until you save for some better ones.

Don't forget you'd have to budget for spacers too.

Would they be a more comfy ride than the current s line do you reckon?

Spacers and springs, got it :D

Would they be a more comfy ride than the current s line do you reckon?

Spacers and springs, got it :D

They are stiffer but they were more comfortable because the body of the car was more controlled. The handling is a million times better.

Reactions: Usmxn