Rear Number Plate

thisistheone

Reaction score
Hi ,
I am putting a new rear number plate on and going to stick it but when i took off the old plate there seems to be a cushion foam covering most of the area. Could i stick the pads to the foam and would that work or do i need to remove the foam to get better contact. I have some tar remover which should get it off.
Any thoughts? or which way have people done it ? Don't want the plate dropping off.
Many Thanks.

The pads will pull off the foam - you will need to remove the foam.

why don’t you get a bolt on number plate holder ?

Thanks Spearo / gtunney
Some good advice .
I am not keen on plate holders so i 'll try and get the foam off with some fishing line and some de solv it and a plastic scraper , if that doesn't work i've got some tar remover.
I've only got a couple of days to put the new plate on but all else fails i'll get hold of a toffee wheel.
The back of the avant looks fairly flat and planning to use some 1mm tape rather than the bulkier 6mm tape ? Hopefully that should work .

Cheers

Thanks Spearo / gtunney
The back of the avant looks fairly flat and planning to use some 1mm tape rather than the bulkier 6mm tape ? Hopefully that should work .
Cheers

I struggled with 1mm tape and ended up having to double and treble it up.

I’m not a fan of foam strips for attaching plates - get yourself some genuine 3M vhb double sided tape and use it sparingly- your plate won’t come off ! It’s probably only 1.5mm thick

Hi ,
I had another quick look today and the foam attached to the bodywork comes off real easily , i thought that it was going to be more messy. It's about 3mm thick foam and level with the plug holes for screws ( which are raised ).
I have taken off some either side and in the middle it's recessed to about 6mm .
Intially i looked for some 3M VHB tape but seems like a lot of choice - i spoke to my local motor suppliers they don't stock it but do have 3mm and 6mm tape which would work out.
The plug holes i'll put a bit of silicon sealant in just to stop water going in.

Just in case that doesn't work do you know which 3M VHB tape i would need ? I had a look online and found too many choices . If plan A doesn't work out and it comes off i'll have to revert to plan B and double up with some 3M tape.
Don't want the number plate to come off.
Cheers