Facelift Rear number plate screw plug

MikeSel^

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mikesel.info
Closed my boot yesterday and noticed the number plate jump at one side. Gently lifted it and the screw and plug slid straight out of the hole!

The cars a week old!

I tried to take the screw out thinking the plug would expand back in the hole but it didn't. I didn't have time to play with it any more. Does anyone know how they work? Or do I just need a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pop it back to the dealer. Most folks ask not to have the car drilled and screwed. Adhesive pads are much better, less damaging and look better.

Pop it back to the dealer. Most folks ask not to have the car drilled and screwed. Adhesive pads are much better, less damaging and look better.

That's Richard. I never really thought about that when I ordered it. Tho screw on plates have a place :) easier to remove when on the stands at shows.

I'll speak to them today an see what they say.

Cheers

The plastic nutsert should expand behind the panel as the screw is inserted. Sounds like you need a new if it's not doing this - check that it's pushed fully home flush to the surface.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I had this on my car. I used a screw driver to just gently expand the "wings" of the nut, then popped it back in. You should here a click as it snaps into place.

Number plate is still a little loose though.

Anyone know where to get replacements for this type of number plate fixing?

I had this on my car. I used a screw driver to just gently expand the "wings" of the nut, then popped it back in. You should here a click as it snaps into place.

Number plate is still a little loose though.

Anyone know where to get replacements for this type of number plate fixing?

Mine came with taped on plates but I changed to a screw on Audi Sport number plate carrier for ease of cleaning and changing the plates (also hides the fixings) so ordered these nutserts along with the foam anti rattle pad from Audi parts.

Reactions: AL_B
License Panel Retainer Nut. 8T0-827-310

41p each or thereabouts.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and AL_B
After a conversation with the dealer, I had to book an appointment. They at first wanted me to leave the car with them when pushed, I then got a "2 hour while you wait" slot. I'm hoping the tech comes out an sorts it in 5 mins.

I might have another go, but if I don't fix it an they try and blame me I don't want to have to pay

Reactions: Wxm
After a conversation with the dealer, I had to book an appointment. They at first wanted me to leave the car with them when pushed, I then got a "2 hour while you wait" slot. I'm hoping the tech comes out an sorts it in 5 mins.

I might have another go, but if I don't fix it an they try and blame me I don't want to have to pay

That's not very friendly. MK Audi recently announced that you can drop in and see a tech at any time. I tried it out and drove in, said what I wanted and the tech guy was out looking at the car in 5 minutes. He had to take the car into the workshop - all fixed 15 minutes and a cup of coffee later.

Reactions: Wxm and AL_B
I would have hoped my sales man would have looked after me, after selling me 4 cars. But he's on holiday this week. I'll see how I get on on Friday. I certainly hope they don't try to charge me.

Closed my boot yesterday and noticed the number plate jump at one side. Gently lifted it and the screw and plug slid straight out of the hole!

The cars a week old!

I tried to take the screw out thinking the plug would expand back in the hole but it didn't. I didn't have time to play with it any more. Does anyone know how they work? Or do I just need a new one?

Had the same issue on mine, left hand side, thought I'd fixed it buts it's popped out again. Looks like a trip to the dealer.

lol I love their times for jobs, I work in a car factory and the lads on the line gets seconds to do jobs!

Reactions: Wxm