Rear lights coded to come on with DRL (2006 S3)

I don’t have this option with vcds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Abi, try instead of Coding, looking under Adaptation in your central electronics, could be in there on your ECU.

Mine already has the ambient lighting pack, but thanks for the part number and info.
That said, I do want to upgrade the internal lights as they are a bit too yellow, but that can wait for another time as I have a few other jobs lined up ready for the near future.

Dave
I fitted this kit last week

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-S3-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Everyuthing you need inside for a tenner with free postage. No coding or problems

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I fitted the lot in 15 mins except the Glove box one which i will do when i clear all the rubbish out :)..............one day :)

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Hey Sam, I have 1AT ESP but the dash display went mental when I enabled hill hold, it said stuff like "run screaming to nearest Audi dealer, your hair is on fire....."

Seriously though in light of having the right ABS controller and the right ESP software, why won't it work and do you have a thread link on the missing pieces of the puzzle? I guess I'm just missing an acceleration sensor.

Hi Scott, on my previous A3 1.8 Tfsi (09) we needed to run a wire from the ABS to one of the control units, we did this at the same time I retro-fitted TPMS. This also needed the TPMS button to be added to the button panel below the head into.

For my 2011 (61) S3, both TPMS and Hill Hold can be done via VCDS.

I’ll see if I can find the links but google/search for TPMS repair wire.

Edit: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-issues-vcds-users-please-check.157079/page-3

Last edited:
Hi Scott, on my previous A3 1.8 Tfsi (09) we needed to run a wire from the ABS to one of the control units, we did this at the same time I retro-fitted TPMS. This also needed the TPMS button to be added to the button panel below the head into.

For my 2011 (61) S3, both TPMS and Hill Hold can be done via VCDS.

I’ll see if I can find the links but google/search for TPMS repair wire.

Edit: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-issues-vcds-users-please-check.157079/page-3
Thanks mate, I might have another go at it today. One pain in the backside is my OBD socket is twitchy, I have to pull the vcds plug to the right so the left edge of the plug almost detaches before the LED will come on and communicate or I get "not connected to car" - anyone else had this? The undertray the socket is mounted on is loose so will pull the lot and check the socket itself. It often stops communication while coding due to this.

Hey Abi, try instead of Coding, looking under Adaptation in your central electronics, could be in there on your ECU.

Hi have finally had time to look. But nothing under Adaptation either looks like I’ll have to live without it. Could it be my vcds version? It’s not genuine!! had it couple years now. I have although activated n/s & o/s mirrors synchronised, pretty handy when parking in supermarket bays etc.

Can anyone else shed more light on activating rear DRL on a 2010 A3 8P 20L TDI

Have you opened long coding helper in vcds? If not, no options will be shown.

In central convenience module 09 what came up when you click long coding helper

Just the usual, all the different bytes, but nothing regards DRL
3daeb7d35eab6b43f1dd3837b21538a0.jpg

Ok, try byte 18, adding one to the value. Can you click byte 18 and let me know what value is there. Yours is 7A if I'm counting properly, you could change it to 7B and see if it works. If not or anything odd happens then put it back to 7A.

Ok, try byte 18, adding one to the value. Can you click byte 18 and let me know what value is there. Yours is 7A if I'm counting properly, you could change it to 7B and see if it works. If not or anything odd happens then put it back to 7A.

I will have a try later

Hi,
Just had a quick look b4 I go to work, this is what’s there, sorry for the reflection, it’s a little sunny here.
Thanx
ee4669663bfcaad1e1cc36667645f4b7.jpg
6e8db522d915a028cf13b8a228d19047.jpg

Sorry got the byte wrong, it's byte 18 and yours is set to 23, try looking in that one, next to where you are now. 23 may need set to 24, 25 or 26 even if there is no tickbox for Scandinavian drl

Sorry got the byte wrong, it's byte 18 and yours is set to 23, try looking in that one, next to where you are now. 23 may need set to 24, 25 or 26 even if there is no tickbox for Scandinavian drl

No worries, I’m off to work now, I shall have a play tomorrow, I’ll let you know how I get on.

Ok so did some more digging on stemei.de, you need to do as follows for my10 cars onwards:

1. Select STG 09 (vehicle power supply control unit)
  2. STG coding -> function 07
  3. Byte 18
  4. Disable bit 0
  5. Disable bit 1
  6. Activate bit 2

Ok so did some more digging on stemei.de, you need to do as follows for my10 cars onwards:

1. Select STG 09 (vehicle power supply control unit)
  2. STG coding -> function 07
  3. Byte 18
  4. Disable bit 0
  5. Disable bit 1
  6. Activate bit 2

Now I’m confused

Your is a 2010 yeah? Sportback?

https://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/audi-a3-8p/led-tfl-mit-rueckleuchten-immer-an.php

Wait till Google translate switches the page to English or it's really really confusing haha.... seriously though try both central convenience and central electronics, click every byte on the long coding helper and see what options are there. Mine was in module 9 byte 0.

Just looked and you seem to have version 1.0.6.24, mine is version 18.60 or something, so yeah could be way too old.

Your is a 2010 yeah? Sportback?

https://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/audi-a3-8p/led-tfl-mit-rueckleuchten-immer-an.php

Wait till Google translate switches the page to English or it's really really confusing haha.... seriously though try both central convenience and central electronics, click every byte on the long coding helper and see what options are there. Mine was in module 9 byte 0.

Just looked and you seem to have version 1.0.6.24, mine is version 18.60 or something, so yeah could be way too old.

Yes mines a 2010 sportback,
I’ve checked every module and every byte but nothing anywhere.

Yep mines the old 1.0.6.24 version, that could be the problem although been digging myself and found this so will try what you suggested first.
I’m not shelling out for another version of vcds if it don’t won’t work then so be it. I’ve activated so many things that weren’t activated since buying the car so I’m happy, mainly only use it now to reset service intervals and to purge fuel filters after servicing
60b6525a3cc89a6d0620c6afc91c78b0.jpg

Will keep you informed...

Thats the same post I found, some folk needed 4C in B18, some needed 24, 25 or 26....worth trying some stuff. Remeber the bytes are numbered from zero so the second byte is 1....you were on byte 17 and next to it is 18 so try adding one to the value there without any tickboxes. it's in HEX so base-16, range is like this: 01-09 then instead of 10 (which is decimal) it becomes 0A-0F then 10-1F then 20-2F and so on till FF. Google hex numbering if you haven't any knowledge of it so you put the right value in the byte. 10 hex = 16 decimal. FF hex is 255 decimal.

Reactions: Abi
Cracked it,
Thank you all for your help!
Changed byte 18 from 23 to 24 and hey presto, it worked, rear lights are on.
8ae66e40aea01f972d3328fd4c6e1414.jpg
53649aaf92deb0a1bb5b559bfc6bc164.jpg
7940a1dcc672d4177ef7642797ac4186.jpg
a5f59d90894f813d0fed53cd6cdfa083.jpg

Yeah it takes like 5 mins literally with VCDS or similar, go to Central Electronics 09 -> Coding -> then using [long code helper], tick "Scandinavian" DRL and untick "North American”

I can’t see an DRL option in vcds for the Scandinavian tick box can’t even see a tick box for North American??

What year and model is your car though mate? Each generation of A3 is different.

Also how old is your vcds?

There wasn’t on mine either, had to alter coding manually

What year and model is your car though mate? Each generation of A3 is different.

Also how old is your vcds?
Ah I see, mines a 2010 S3 sportback. VCDS is an old version as I had it when I had my golf a long while ago and I’ve had different cars since

There wasn’t on mine either, had to alter coding manually

Just seen your post, coding is mind boggling :smiley: I will try your way tomorrow see if it works on mine

Just seen your post, coding is mind boggling :smiley: I will try your way tomorrow see if it works on mine

Same model and year as mine so chances are it will be the same coding valve 24 that will be needed too.
Just copy and paste the complete code into the new code area and change the value of byte 18.

Is it actual vcds you have mate or old vagcom? You should be able to go to the central electronics module and then open long coding helper, then click byte 18, remember they are numbered from zero, it tells you which one you're on.

If the value there is 4b on the S3 then change it to 4c and exit long coding helper after copying the new long code. Paste into new code box, click "do it" and It should say "coding accepted" - click "close controller" and exit. You may need to cycle the ignition to see it working but your green sidelights symbol should light up on the switch on drl mode.

If the number in 18 is different, add one to the value and remember it's hex not decimal.

Also copy your original long code into notepad on the laptop before you change anything so you can put it back if you muck it up...

Last edited:
Yeah I think it’s VCDS... I’ll have another look when I get home :icon thumright: