Rear lights coded to come on with DRL (2006 S3)

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
For some time now the DRL's have bugged me on this car as I think they are pointless if the rears don't come on when the fronts are on.
I did a bit of Googling today to try and find a solution, but had no real luck but i decided to see if I could figure it out using OBD Eleven.
I was very surprised to find that it was extremely easy and took less than 2 minutes.
For those with OBD Eleven and wanting to do this themselves, here is how:
  1. Connect OBD Eleven app to the dongle with ignition turned on.
  2. Once connected, go to the modules menu and select 'Central electrics'.
  3. Scroll down to find 'Long Coding' and select.
  4. A short menu with tick boxes will appear.
  5. Untick 'DRL (North America)'
  6. Tick 'DRL (East Europe)' Press and hold the green tick.
  7. Ensure DRL's are turned on and walk to the back of the car to check. You should now have the rear lights lit up along with the DRL's on the front.
It took longer to type those 7 bullet points than it did to activate the lights, and that was without a guide.
Rsz img 20190204 173000

Reactions: Richard46, abmat and LEE69
Don’t know any other cars that have Rear lights coming on when the DRL switch is on. What’s the point? In any case you can just put the side lights on and you’ll have the same effect.

Reactions: downtothebone
I find it really stupid that the drls need to be switched on at all. What's the point of drl's and sidelights - should just be one thing.... drl to me means lights that are always on. Why not just make the drl's and tail lights permanent when running. On the sidelights vs drl issue, the sidelights are dimmed drl's, so it would be better to have them all on full brightness as Davey has done as when it gets too dull outside, you already have rear lights on. They're to make you more visible to other drivers, so why not the rears. People can crash into you from behind as well as from the front.

I find it really stupid that the drls need to be switched on at all. What's the point of drl's and sidelights - should just be one thing.... drl to me means lights that are always on. Why not just make the drl's and tail lights permanent when running. On the sidelights vs drl issue, the sidelights are dimmed drl's, so it would be better to have them all on full brightness as Davey has done as when it gets too dull outside, you already have rear lights on. They're to make you more visible to other drivers, so why not the rears. People can crash into you from behind as well as from the front.
Huh??
Punters want choice - we don’t want some bureaucrat telling (read mandating) us what to do. We want to be in control - oh wait I’m on the wrong forum ...

I'm with you on choice. I just think having both drl and sidelights on the same switch seems pointless. As is the default setting in the coding being North America when we're in Europe. Till March 29th anyway ;)

It bugs me that the number plate lights come on with Scandinavian setting, effectively brighter sidelights without cabin lighting

Don’t know any other cars that have Rear lights coming on when the DRL switch is on. What’s the point? In any case you can just put the side lights on and you’ll have the same effect.
None of what you say is incorrect, but the DRL's are Brighter (if replaced with LED Bulbs, like mine are) and they can be left to turn on and off automatically, unlike sidelights which need to be manually turned on and off.
For me, Having the headlights in 'Auto' and DRL's left on means I'm always going to be seen and have less risk of someone pulling out on me from a country lane when I'm shifting along.

Reactions: abmat
I havnt seen Rear DRL's but many cars have the rears come on with the front DRL's, The new TT and Q7 i think.
I think it should be law and law yesterday. I have lost count of the amount of people on the M25 driving at night with DRL's and nothing at the back including the other week a huge great coach up by Heathrow, nothing on the back at all but 2 huge Z pattern DRL on the front

Reactions: ScottyP45, abmat and Daveyonthemove
I completely agree, Paddy.
Another thing I dislike with my S3 is that there is no indication on the dash that the headlights are actually on, except for full beam.
At dusk I can normally tell due to a light on the CD slot of my radio lighting up, but in recent weather I haven't noticed that light but spotted the reflection of my head lights on other cars paintwork etc.
I think there should be a clear light on the dash when the headlights are on.

When i first got my S3 i took it back as faulty because the headlamps would come on when on auto but not the dash illumination. turns out they are on separate systems both with their own light sensitive magic eye so having the dash light up is no guarantee the front lights are on as well :) like wise you can have the dash light up, DRLs on the front and nothing on the back

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I'm thought that was the case, it seems daft to have two different light sensors giving the dash and headlights different commands, that is bound to confuse drivers.
My rears appear to come on with the front DRL's now, so at least I've got a reduced risk of being hit from behind in weather like today.

Reactions: Bryant1998 and ScottyP45
I coded mine yesterday to light up the rears with DRL's so now (Scandinavian setting) I can leave the switch in DRL position and always have lights all round, and when it is duller the SP sensor will drop the dash instrument lights out so I know I have to put the main lights on, also the red button illumination would be off when the actual main lights are off. I also coded panic brake and hazards as I often get muppets honking on the brakes to turn right at the last moment whilst lost in the city centre or being on their phone and looking up to see a stationary queue (usually this is a van driver) who I can't see past but suddenly I get a face-full of transit van and have to stop on a shirt button - now the rear drivers doing 30-40 behind me will get a warning that I've stamped hard on the anchors! Happy days eh.

Reactions: Bryant1998, Chrismawa and Daveyonthemove
I coded mine yesterday to light up the rears with DRL's so now (Scandinavian setting) I can leave the switch in DRL position and always have lights all round, and when it is duller the SP sensor will drop the dash instrument lights out so I know I have to put the main lights on, also the red button illumination would be off when the actual main lights are off. I also coded panic brake and hazards as I often get muppets honking on the brakes to turn right at the last moment whilst lost in the city centre or being on their phone and looking up to see a stationary queue (usually this is a van driver) who I can't see past but suddenly I get a face-full of transit van and have to stop on a shirt button - now the rear drivers doing 30-40 behind me will get a warning that I've stamped hard on the anchors! Happy days eh.

I think I'm going to do the same to mine. Makes sense to have the rears on with the fronts.

Anyone know what the lifespan of the LEDs in the DRLs is? As they wont last forever and I think the only way to replace is a new light unit - correct me if im wrong?

hmmm id say most LED lifespans are 20,000 hours of use, so about 15 years+ if used for a 2 hour commute each way every day (5 days a week) plus used at weekends. I don't have LED ones in mine I think they are halogen DRL's but I found these lights (LED DRL / xenon facelift) way cheaper than Audi (or ebay)

Click.Here

I think I'm going to do the same to mine. Makes sense to have the rears on with the fronts.
Yeah it takes like 5 mins literally with VCDS or similar, go to Central Electronics 09 -> Coding -> then using [long code helper], tick "Scandinavian" DRL and untick "North American", remembering to copy and paste your original long code into notepad for safe keeping then copy the new code from long code helper and paste into the new code box, click [do it] then click [close controller], job done!

Cheers mate will do it when I get in tonight. Shame we can't get needle sweep on 8P unless you got RS3.

..............or s3 , my 2011 does needle sweep

I had a quick look through the OBD11 options this afternoon and I can't find a way of activating needle sweep on mine, but it is an early model on a 56 plate.

Possibly. TBH, I can live without it. I just wanted to see if it could be done, would be a nice little earner for me :)

I'm going to try coding that needle sweep, mine's an 09 facelift with the white DIS so will let you know if it works, I fancy hill hold too so I wonder which ABS controller part numbers support that...hopefully mine will. I drive a lot in dense start stop traffic in my home city then in my work city with a chunk of motorway in between and both are hilly streets so hill hold would be really handy.

I think hill hold is a feature of quattro , you tend to get it on 4x4 like Subaru's

I'm going to try coding that needle sweep, mine's an 09 facelift with the white DIS so will let you know if it works, I fancy hill hold too so I wonder which ABS controller part numbers support that...hopefully mine will. I drive a lot in dense start stop traffic in my home city then in my work city with a chunk of motorway in between and both are hilly streets so hill hold would be really handy.

Needle sweep needs an s3 or rs3 white cluster to do with coding otherwise you need to flash a chip on the board. There's a thread on how to do it and it's not for the faint of heart.

Hill hold needs the mk60ec1. Generally if you have a facelift you have that controller. Coded it on mine, worth it

Reactions: ScottyP45
I did mine by accident with Carista. I don’t even know how.

Reactions: ScottyP45
Needle sweep needs an s3 or rs3 white cluster to do with coding otherwise you need to flash a chip on the board. There's a thread on how to do it and it's not for the faint of heart.

Hill hold needs the mk60ec1. Generally if you have a facelift you have that controller. Coded it on mine, worth it
Cheers, so mine should have it too. I'll check the ECU details later. Would be really handy. My options list says ordered without hill assistance so may be just a case of turning it on.

Confirmed I have the right ABS:

Component: ESP MK60EC1 H35 0106

How do I find out what controller I have? I have OBDeleven for coding...

I have the right part number but no axis sensor so no go

Yeah it takes like 5 mins literally with VCDS or similar, go to Central Electronics 09 -> Coding -> then using [long code helper], tick "Scandinavian" DRL and untick "North American", remembering to copy and paste your original long code into notepad for safe keeping then copy the new code from long code helper and paste into the new code box, click [do it] then click [close controller], job done!

I don’t have this option with vcds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hill Hold requires ABS PR code 1AT - it will be listed in the PR codes in the handbook or under the boot tray in the wheel well.

There is a detailed thread on here about setting it up for the facelift with older and newer ECMs.

Reactions: kcpism
I completely agree, Paddy.
Another thing I dislike with my S3 is that there is no indication on the dash that the headlights are actually on, except for full beam.
At dusk I can normally tell due to a light on the CD slot of my radio lighting up, but in recent weather I haven't noticed that light but spotted the reflection of my head lights on other cars paintwork etc.
I think there should be a clear light on the dash when the headlights are on.

Dave, you may already have this but I upgraded my front roof map light to Audi Part 8E0947135D6PS which has the 2x leds that shine over the gear stick when full head lights are on.

007507C8 A1FF 4D92 88AF A845C505A974

Dave, you may already have this but I upgraded my front roof map light to Audi Part 8E0947135D6PS which has the 2x leds that shine over the gear stick when full head lights are on.

View attachment 175318
Mine already has the ambient lighting pack, but thanks for the part number and info.
That said, I do want to upgrade the internal lights as they are a bit too yellow, but that can wait for another time as I have a few other jobs lined up ready for the near future.

Reactions: samuelh_888
I don’t have this option with vcds?

You may not have a late enough ECU then, what year and model do you have? Sorry if it's in your sig , on the tablet I can't read it till I've posted this

Btw for all, I've an 09 s-line with white DIS but still can't code needle sweep, it's not in coding or adaptation.

You may not have a late enough ECU then, what year and model do you have? Sorry if it's in your sig , on the tablet I can't read it till I've posted this

Mines a 2010 8P A3

Mines a 2010 8P A3

What model though, S3, S-Line etc as this makes a difference. Depends on the option list it was bought with new. I was able to change a few things on my s-line but not everything, some stuff is s3 only.

Hill Hold requires ABS PR code 1AT - it will be listed in the PR codes in the handbook or under the boot tray in the wheel well.

There is a detailed thread on here about setting it up for the facelift with older and newer ECMs.
Hey Sam, I have 1AT ESP but the dash display went mental when I enabled hill hold, it said stuff like "run screaming to nearest Audi dealer, your hair is on fire....."

Seriously though in light of having the right ABS controller and the right ESP software, why won't it work and do you have a thread link on the missing pieces of the puzzle? I guess I'm just missing an acceleration sensor.