Rear Light Glass Question

Belfin

Reaction score
Hi All,

While washing my A3 a few months ago I noticed that I have a mosquito/fly looking insect inside the glass of the nearside boot lid light cluster. I left it until last week when I had time to have a go at getting it out, as it was starting to bother me once I knew it was there! I removed the bulb holder and used a hoover with a drinking straw taped to the hose (!), but it seems to be between two layers of plastic (outer cover and an inner liner?) and completely inaccessible.

I have a photo of the car which I took on the day of collection, which seems to show it's been there, albeit un-noticed, since day one.

Is this a sealed unit whereby the offending invertebrate was sealed in during manufacture, or is it possible that it clambered in by itself on the day of collection way back in June?

I'd like to avoid a trip to the dealer for a new light, but I don't really want to remove the whole cluster and start dismantling it if I don't know what I'm doing, or breaking seals, etc.

Cheers, Paul.

I had a quick go at dismantling one of the outboard rear light clusters a few months ago and gave up very quickly. They don't appear to be designed to be taken apart.

If you do manage it, I'd be very interested. I was hoping to do a DIY version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVkRxPMnVzQ

Hi RossR - will keep you posted. Just waiting on call back from Audi........

Here's the offending creature. Not so noticeable during the day, but looks like a big dark blob on the LED at night!

I've got a spider in one of mine, I tried to get audi to sort it under warranty but they wouldn't of course, I will try take a photo for you.

Reactions: Belfin
Had exactly the same in my near side reverse light too! Audi took it out FOC at service time. Sorted.

Seen it a few times on the A1 forum - exact same thing with the bug in the sealed unit. Think there were some other threads on it but could only find the below.

The Audi A1 Forum • View topic - Bug in my rear tail light

I remember Audi being totally mystified with it as they are sealed units. Think for one member the heat of the LED rear light had melted the bug to the plastic and so it was replaced under warranty.

Just a quick update - my car is booked in with Audi for the 7th April so they can remove my 'unwelcome passenger'.

Dunno if the chap in the service department knows more than he let on, but during our phone chat he said he'll make sure there is a replacement light unit in stock if they can't get it out.

Cheers, Paul.

Say hello to my little friend, derby audi couldn't get him out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Reactions: Belfin
Picture now attached

Reactions: Belfin and cuke2u
Hum silly question maybe but wouldn't they eventually decompose within a few weeks?

I reckon the fly in my light has decomposed about as much as it's going to. Because it's sealed in and wedged into bottom edge, there's nothing to break up what's left (movement or draughts etc). I reckon that unless it's removed, or the unit is replaced, it's little skeleton is gonna sit there forever!

MH - your spider beats my fly! Look at the fuss I'm making over a little mosquito thing - I would be kicking right off over the spider!

Cheers, Paul

I think I will contact Stoke Audi who supplied the car
It's a sealed unit but how can a spider fit in it! Must have holes in it I guess.

would definitely see another dealer if the one you went to didn't want to change the light.

Would really bother me to see a spider this big in my rear light every day

Just get an S3 courtesy car and swap the lights over in their car park :eyebrows:

Reactions: snowfree52
The fly in my light has finally gone!

I took my car in on Monday for some other matter, but the 'rear light invertebrate' was also on the list to be done. Apparently, just like my effort - the Audi mechanic couldn't suck the little blighter out with a vacuum either. He finally had to remove the light unit and then he blew it out with an airline. Unfortunately, the Aftersales chap I spoke to didn't know if the actual unit had been taken apart to do this, or if there are holes in it for the fly to fly out from.

Just a quick update for those with unwelcome joyriders in their lights (particularly for MH above - they CAN get rid of your ruddy great spider!)

Cheers, Paul