Rear LED light cluster water ingress

Fatbloke

Reaction score
Hi All

Washed my car a couple of days ago and have now noticed dampness in the left rear light cluster (on the car not the boot lid). Not sure if it was damp before I washed it.

Is this common and is it easy to fix?

I’ve had both of my outside clusters replaced under warranty for condensation issues in the last year on a 66plate Facelift ....

Yep I had this but just took them off and got the hairdryer on them and sorted it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoke to audi uk and dealer.

They are going to charge just to look at it although I sent a photo showing water ingress.

Audi uk said probably be charged for repair or replacement.

Not keen on costing money or wasting my time now as it's a 60 mile round trip.

With no moving or serviceable parts in a sealed unit I wouldn't expect it to fail so soon after the warranty expired.

How do you remove the rear light cluster (on the car not the boot lid) ??

Spoke to audi uk and dealer.

They are going to charge just to look at it although I sent a photo showing water ingress.

Audi uk said probably be charged for repair or replacement.

Not keen on costing money or wasting my time now as it's a 60 mile round trip.

With no moving or serviceable parts in a sealed unit I wouldn't expect it to fail so soon after the warranty expired.

How do you remove the rear light cluster (on the car not the boot lid) ??
behind the light, behind the interior trim, there should be a square plastic box bolt. Remove this then pull the light backwards towards you. Its head in by that bolt + x2 pressure clips on the outside edge.

The two pressure clips are little ball and socket fixings. If you put a tiny smear of silicone grease on the ball part when reassembling it makes the light units much easier to remove the next time.

The whole thing can't fall out because of the box bolts that Alex mentioned.

Thanks guys.

Is there a known issue or fix to dry out the lights and reseal them?
No known issues that I am aware of. All it takes is someone giving you a tiny tap in a supermarket carpark or something in order to create a point of ingress. Water "creeps" unfortunately, so the crack can be microscopic. Personally I would look for a replacement unit. Throwing this at a dealership will prolly generate the "cluster is damaged / cracked and not under warranty" standard response.

My sons S5 coupe had this problem. Was replaced under warranty,good job as there not cheap!!!!!. If out of warranty ring around some breakers/ebay etc.

Same issue in my LED rear outer right with my local dealer & Audi UK not at all interested, more here with a write up. Grabbed a used mint replacement for £50 from eBay & took me 5 mins to swap it over. Inspected my unit when removed & no visible damage at all, left it to dry out at room temp & now in my spares stock.

20191023_165823Small.jpg

20191108_190155Small.jpg