Rear lamp fine scratches

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
Been trying to figure out a way to get rid of the fine, hair line scratches I have on the rear lamps for a long time.

I’ve polished them out to a level I was happy with and tinted the lamps but those scratches were still visible.
Tinting film only dimmed them (which I liked and am going to go darker in shade with soon).

At some point I even thought, the car was involved in rear ended collision and those lamps were replaced with the whole tailgate.
Lamps become dull and milky after a while of ownership.

6708e88dd21c3f5342b69c1b063b2b98.jpg

02411af94706c1b85a0ce1b7ed457bf5.jpg

Difference between two parts is visible even to a novice and my OCD is twitching like anything, whenever I see that.

Anything that could be recommended to remove these scratches, apart from replacing the lamps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine are the same and still the original. I machine polished out the surface scratches but the fine cracks still show with the lights on. The plastic has had it, only way to resolve is replace them.

Steve

Mine are the same and still the original. I machine polished out the surface scratches but the fine cracks still show with the lights on. The plastic has had it, only way to resolve is replace them.

Steve
I had them machine polished but not much. Only to bring out the shine, as had them dull.

They are still original and don't want to replace them.
Thought of replacing them with salvaged ones but might get same as have now.

Was thinking of sand it down with wet 800 grid sand paper and increase it with 1000, 1500 and 2000, topping it up with machine polish and clear coat.
Somehow, do not trust all above would work.

I think you will find they are micro cracks through the entire thickness of the plastic lens. You won't be able to sand them out. I machine polished mine up so they look normal when the light is off. Turn the lights on and you can see all the tiny cracks.

Steve

I think you will find they are micro cracks through the entire thickness of the plastic lens. You won't be able to sand them out. I machine polished mine up so they look normal when the light is off. Turn the lights on and you can see all the tiny cracks.

Steve
Hmmm...
Will take a closer look.

If that's the case, I will consider a salvaged replacement before I tint them

Cheers Steve

BTW, Is that your motor in the avatar? Love the colour.

They will polish out as I did mine, you will need to use wet & dry and go down to finer grades then machine polish. Once done your best getting a clear laminate put on as they will go again. No idea why the tailgate lights are affected and not the outer lights.

Don't bother with salvage they all go the same way.

They will polish out as I did mine, you will need to use wet & dry and go down to finer grades then machine polish. Once done your best getting a clear laminate put on as they will go again. No idea why the tailgate lights are affected and not the outer lights.

Don't bother with salvage they all go the same way.
Cheers. Will schedule that once more time arranged.

Let me know when you have had another look at them. Mine are definitely micro cracks in the plastic not scratches. I will try and get a photo later.

Cheers! Yeah it is mine in the avatar, took me a while to find a Sprint blue S6 in the spec i wanted!

Steve

Reactions: KrisKrk
Hopefully these explain what I mean. The surface is polished and smooth and loos great without the light on. As soon as the lights are on the cracks are obvious. It only appears on the inner lights though. Outer ones are fine.
20180416 190724 2016x1512

20180416 190749 2016x1512

This is what mine looked like, they were not smooth but did polished out.

WP_20140315_007_zpse4ce1448.jpg

This is what mine looked like, they were not smooth but did polished out.

WP_20140315_007_zpse4ce1448.jpg

Mines were not as bad but still dull and managed to bring a bit of shine from them.
Have medium smoke tint arriving soon and would like to sort it out beforehand, if tome allow

Anyone found a replacement for the rubber seal that goes around the top of the outer lamps inside the boot aperture?
Mine aren't looking to clever and the N/S one has started to peel off. They don't seem to be available separate and I don't want to replace a pair of perfectly good lamps for the sake of a couple of bits of rubber.

Anyone found a replacement for the rubber seal that goes around the top of the outer lamps inside the boot aperture?
Mine aren't looking to clever and the N/S one has started to peel off. They don't seem to be available separate and I don't want to replace a pair of perfectly good lamps for the sake of a couple of bits of rubber.
I know which part you're talking about. Have you tried car breakers?

Funnily enough I've just polished mine and I agree with the others, the cracks are on the inside. A friend and myself are looking for smoked rear lenses but can find them for every car except an A6 C6 Avant. Has anyone found some online anywhere?

Funnily enough I've just polished mine and I agree with the others, the cracks are on the inside. A friend and myself are looking for smoked rear lenses but can find them for every car except an A6 C6 Avant. Has anyone found some online anywhere?
They inside?
Smoked lenses for C6 Avant? Where? How?
I'm getting mines tinted with Medium Smoke film. Tried Light Smoke and it was tad too light for my liking.

IMG 0434 Medium

IMG 0435 Medium

Scratches still visible tho

I haven't but used Meguiars Compound. I polished out dull surface and brought back some of the gloss but these still left.
Here's what it was

IMG 0110 Medium

and what it ended up with after polish

IMG 0109 Medium

Scratches/cracks still showing

That was about 2 months ago

Its crazing caused by the UV in sunlight. The outers are probably a different manufacturer with more UV stabilizer in them, or less stress in them from when they were moulded or welded to the backing.

Kris - I haven't looked at the breakers for the rubber bits as I think that they are part of the lamp, so that would be an expensive way of fixing them. I am thinking that maybe some self adhesive rubber strip with a tapered profile would do the job, but I haven't found any yet. Might be a job for the classic car show at the NEC in November.

Mine looked like that when I bought the car, seems to be the case for most of them.

I used this kit, it's basically a drill fitting with different grades of wet and dry in discs that you work from coarse to fine.

3M Headlight Lens Restoration Kit to Restore Dull/Faded/Discoloured Headlights Amazon product

You then need to apply UV protecting polish:-

GLASS POLISH 50ml Surface Sealant, Easy Clean Coating and Water Repellent for Glass Plastic and Metal Amazon product

They haven't stayed perfect but they lasted for over a year before it got bad enough to annoy me again.

Its crazing caused by the UV in sunlight. The outers are probably a different manufacturer with more UV stabilizer in them, or less stress in them from when they were moulded or welded to the backing.

Kris - I haven't looked at the breakers for the rubber bits as I think that they are part of the lamp, so that would be an expensive way of fixing them. I am thinking that maybe some self adhesive rubber strip with a tapered profile would do the job, but I haven't found any yet. Might be a job for the classic car show at the NEC in November.
Simon, The black part of the outer lamp is removable. I took it off myself when was getting the lamp test tinted. Be careful but give it a good tug. There are few clips you may want to release. It should help.

Them scratches/cracks appear even more with every day

a8ed3169279e0b626c0cfa1cb522f5b4.jpg

Wonder how deep they are?

Would I be able to get them polished out with Meguiers compound only?

I think that the only solution is to replace the lamps and then put a protective UV resistant film over the new ones.

I think that the only solution is to replace the lamps and then put a protective UV resistant film over the new ones.

As mentioned, planning to tint them anyway but not fancy to go with new ones.
Quickly checked around and cheapest I found is £180 incl. postage from Germany.

Will try again to polish them out and take it from there

No problem. I'm in the same boat too. My inboard rear lamps are dull and crazed.
I guess someone in accounts at Audi decided to save money by purchasing Valeo lamps instead of sticking with Hella or Bosch.

Just ordered the lamps out of the link you’ve sent, Simon.

Those scratches were getting on my nerves.

Also, tried to fix “cold solder” on the leds

fc23877516e0e5b066d62ccfb745e6e0.jpg

and bodged them a bit.

Well, fixed the bottom two but f’d top 5.

Had to split open the lamp

f78bce0a990c800720393e4717beda3e.jpg

This is when I realised, those scratches are too deep and could take loads of polishing.
Not worth it.
As soon as they arrive, will get them tinted

Thank you again for a link

Here’s how my rear left tailgate half lamp look like

8e805ebda6acdc4767537fdf1d47c2f2.jpg

Gutted about my hopeless result

Hi Kris,
Have your new lights turned up yet?
If they have, what's the quality like?

Hi Kris,
Have your new lights turned up yet?
If they have, what's the quality like?

Simon, you have no idea what I went through.

Ordered them from Cartech One on 31st July with dispatch time 2-4 working days, as it was international shipment from Germany.
After a week I chased it up to be informed that the set is incomplete and there’s a delay in my order. If I want to cancel it, they’ll give me a refund, no problem.

Wanted to sort out the lamps before aitp10 as feel embarrassed about my “fixing” failure.

Waited couple more days to be informed yet another time there is no eta for new stock arrival. Threatened cancellation and Trading Standards action as no update was from them whatsoever.

Cancelled it this past Monday. Still awaiting my money back to PayPal as they have a new system in house and all orders are delayed. Should have them by end of the week so I can order them from another site. Also German so bit worried about repeated story. Will ask them about stock before the order tho.

Why all this malarky where simple message on their website “out of stock” could save me 2 weeks of stress?
Should’ve already have them, if ordered elsewhere

Once received , will update here and let you know.

From what I know, they are direct replacement Valeo original parts.
Factory fitted ones are also Valeo so it should be the same.

Sounds like a right nightmare!

Hope you get the new ones soon,

Lamps not in stock till mid-end September

Guess patience will he my new mate

I know this is an old thread, but as I have the same problem with my rear inner lights I'd like to know if it's worth lightly tinting all the rear lights to hide the faded/scratched surface?

I don't want a dark tint, but maybe a light tint film would look ok?