1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Server Issues [Search] 21-22/07/18

We are currently rebuilding the site's search index due to an earlier database problem, so search results will be incomplete for a time. The process happens quite quickly, and we'll be keeping an eye on it. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime.

Thanks for your patience.

ASN Admin
    Dismiss Notice

Rear lamp fine scratches

KrisKrk Apr 16, 2018

1. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant Gold Supporter Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi S-line owners group Manual Le Mans Edition

Been trying to figure out a way to get rid of the fine, hair line scratches I have on the rear lamps for a long time.

I’ve polished them out to a level I was happy with and tinted the lamps but those scratches were still visible.
    Tinting film only dimmed them (which I liked and am going to go darker in shade with soon).

At some point I even thought, the car was involved in rear ended collision and those lamps were replaced with the whole tailgate.
    Lamps become dull and milky after a while of ownership.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Difference between two parts is visible even to a novice and my OCD is twitching like anything, whenever I see that.

Anything that could be recommended to remove these scratches, apart from replacing the lamps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

Remove film and mop .

4. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant Gold Supporter Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi S-line owners group Manual Le Mans Edition

???

5. Steve Newton

Steve Newton New Member

Mine are the same and still the original. I machine polished out the surface scratches but the fine cracks still show with the lights on. The plastic has had it, only way to resolve is replace them.

Steve

6. KrisKrk

I had them machine polished but not much. Only to bring out the shine, as had them dull.

They are still original and don't want to replace them.
    Thought of replacing them with salvaged ones but might get same as have now.

Was thinking of sand it down with wet 800 grid sand paper and increase it with 1000, 1500 and 2000, topping it up with machine polish and clear coat.
    Somehow, do not trust all above would work.

7. Steve Newton

Steve Newton New Member

I think you will find they are micro cracks through the entire thickness of the plastic lens. You won't be able to sand them out. I machine polished mine up so they look normal when the light is off. Turn the lights on and you can see all the tiny cracks.

Steve

8. KrisKrk

Hmmm...
    Will take a closer look.

If that's the case, I will consider a salvaged replacement before I tint them

Cheers Steve

BTW, Is that your motor in the avatar? Love the colour.

9. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi A6 Audi A3 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic S-line owners group

They will polish out as I did mine, you will need to use wet & dry and go down to finer grades then machine polish. Once done your best getting a clear laminate put on as they will go again. No idea why the tailgate lights are affected and not the outer lights.

Don't bother with salvage they all go the same way.

10. KrisKrk

Cheers. Will schedule that once more time arranged.

11. Steve Newton

Steve Newton New Member

Let me know when you have had another look at them. Mine are definitely micro cracks in the plastic not scratches. I will try and get a photo later.

Cheers! Yeah it is mine in the avatar, took me a while to find a Sprint blue S6 in the spec i wanted!

Steve

KrisKrk likes this.
  12. Avatar

13. Steve Newton

Steve Newton New Member

Hopefully these explain what I mean. The surface is polished and smooth and loos great without the light on. As soon as the lights are on the cracks are obvious. It only appears on the inner lights though. Outer ones are fine. 20180416_190724-2016x1512.jpg

20180416_190749-2016x1512.jpg

KrisKrk likes this.
  14. KrisKrk

Steve Newton likes this.
  15. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi A6 Audi A3 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic S-line owners group

This is what mine looked like, they were not smooth but did polished out.

[​IMG]

16. KrisKrk

Mines were not as bad but still dull and managed to bring a bit of shine from them.
    Have medium smoke tint arriving soon and would like to sort it out beforehand, if tome allow

17. Simon968

Simon968 Active Member Team V6 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi S-line owners group

Anyone found a replacement for the rubber seal that goes around the top of the outer lamps inside the boot aperture?
    Mine aren't looking to clever and the N/S one has started to peel off. They don't seem to be available separate and I don't want to replace a pair of perfectly good lamps for the sake of a couple of bits of rubber.

18. KrisKrk

I know which part you're talking about. Have you tried car breakers?

19. Andrew Skipton

Andrew Skipton New Member

Forgive my ignorance but have you tried toothpaste??

20. KrisKrk

I haven't but used Meguiars Compound. I polished out dull surface and brought back some of the gloss but these still left.

21. Mr DJ MOORE

Mr DJ MOORE Member

Funnily enough I've just polished mine and I agree with the others, the cracks are on the inside. A friend and myself are looking for smoked rear lenses but can find them for every car except an A6 C6 Avant. Has anyone found some online anywhere?

KrisKrk likes this.
  22. KrisKrk

They inside?
    Smoked lenses for C6 Avant? Where? How?
    I'm getting mines tinted with Medium Smoke film. Tried Light Smoke and it was tad too light for my liking.

IMG_0434 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0435 (Medium).JPG

Scratches still visible tho

23. KrisKrk

Here's what it was

IMG_0110 (Medium).JPG

and what it ended up with after polish

IMG_0109 (Medium).JPG

Scratches/cracks still showing

That was about 2 months ago

24. Simon968

Simon968 Active Member Team V6 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi S-line owners group

Its crazing caused by the UV in sunlight. The outers are probably a different manufacturer with more UV stabilizer in them, or less stress in them from when they were moulded or welded to the backing.

Kris - I haven't looked at the breakers for the rubber bits as I think that they are part of the lamp, so that would be an expensive way of fixing them. I am thinking that maybe some self adhesive rubber strip with a tapered profile would do the job, but I haven't found any yet. Might be a job for the classic car show at the NEC in November.

25. Steveredman

Steveredman Active Member

Mine looked like that when I bought the car, seems to be the case for most of them.

I used this kit, it's basically a drill fitting with different grades of wet and dry in discs that you work from coarse to fine.

3M Headlight Lens Restoration Kit to Restore Dull/Faded/Discoloured Headlights

You then need to apply UV protecting polish:-

GLASS POLISH 50ml Surface Sealant, Easy Clean Coating and Water Repellent for Glass Plastic and Metal

They haven't stayed perfect but they lasted for over a year before it got bad enough to annoy me again.

26. KrisKrk

As a UV protection I am getting lamps tinted slightly.
    Will consider that repair kit.
    Thank you @Steveredman

27. KrisKrk

Simon, The black part of the outer lamp is removable. I took it off myself when was getting the lamp test tinted. Be careful but give it a good tug. There are few clips you may want to release. It should help.

28. Simon968

Thanks Kris, I'll have a look.

29. KrisKrk

Them scratches/cracks appear even more with every day

[​IMG]

Wonder how deep they are?

Would I be able to get them polished out with Meguiers compound only?

30. Simon968

I think that the only solution is to replace the lamps and then put a protective UV resistant film over the new ones.

31. KrisKrk

As mentioned, planning to tint them anyway but not fancy to go with new ones.
    Quickly checked around and cheapest I found is £180 incl. postage from Germany.

Will try again to polish them out and take it from there

32. Simon968

33. Avatar

34. KrisKrk

35. Simon968

No problem. I'm in the same boat too. My inboard rear lamps are dull and crazed.
    I guess someone in accounts at Audi decided to save money by purchasing Valeo lamps instead of sticking with Hella or Bosch.