Rear jarring over bumps

ninjag

Reaction score
I've noticed the rear of the car has been getting progressively more jarring when going over bumps and it's now uncomfortable. Can't blame the car, the roads here are literally criminally bad.

I'm putting it over the pit tomorrow to change the front ARB bushes in the hope that this is the front end creak/knocking I'm hearing so I'll have a look at the rear but any pointers as to what this may be? My first thought is the rear trailing arm bushes but wondering if there's a common failure in the rear suspension that I don't know about?

Also, speaking of ARB bushes, when at Audi ordering up the front ones he started talking about the rear bonded to bar ones and mentioned that there was a recall on the ARB due to failures or something. Has anyone heard of this recall?

Cheers

Have you checked the rear suspension bottom spring seats? Pretty sure just on avants, but worth a look. The rubber seat deteriorates as the alloy internal corrodes. Also check any misting on the rear struts.

Have you checked the rear suspension bottom spring seats? Pretty sure just on avants, but worth a look. The rubber seat deteriorates as the alloy internal corrodes. Also check any misting on the rear struts.

Thanks, I never though of those and will have a look. I've had a quick check and noticed that the part number has E at the end, suggesting a revision or two.

I don't think it's the shocks as the handling is fine and there's no bounce or sway etc. One of them was replaced just before I bought the car, but I'll have a look anyway.

Part number is 8K0512297E. You can't miss 'em if they're on their way out! :whistle2:

Part number is 8K0512297E. You can't miss 'em if they're on their way out! :whistle2:

Thanks for that, I'll have a look today. Incidentally, I have filled the boot up with logs a few times recently, but I can't imagine it being over 100kg.

Did the front ARB and had a look at the rear suspension, but everything seems mint. The bushes under the springs look and feel brand new. Got the mechanic to check everything and he confirmed. Maybe the roads are just getting even worse.