Rear inner cv boot

Jamsmoo

Reaction score
Hoping someone has experience and can offer some advise as to difficulty/special tools and time frame for replacement of the topic title
Discovered blobs of grease around the inner circumference of the rear near side alloy while I was messing about with the exhaust,stuck my hand above the cv boot cowling to find lots more
I’m guessing the boots split haven’t had a proper look yet ,need to get it up on stands /ramp
Just hoping for some guidance/pointers
A4 3.0tdi Quattro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi James,
I've not had to do the rears on my old bus as yet , done the fronts a few times though.
If you have grease on the wheel inner surfaces the cv boots will have split without a doubt, from memory it's not a massive task on the rear but you need to ensure you get the correct boots to start with.
There was a really good DIY vid on youtube some time ago but cant find it now, if i find it i'll send you the link .

Reactions: Jamsmoo
Hi James,
I've not had to do the rears on my old bus as yet , done the fronts a few times though.
If you have grease on the wheel inner surfaces the cv boots will have split without a doubt, from memory it's not a massive task on the rear but you need to ensure you get the correct boots to start with.
There was a really good DIY vid on youtube some time ago but cant find it now, if i find it i'll send you the link .

Thanks Rob would appreciate that
Your not wrong mate ,grease everywhere
9e20d9af1b7d4eb0947a1f898c1b240d.jpg

Was worried there was some fancy gearing in there due to the Quattro

Reactions: mikeb7
A tip for you James, before you disassemble anything mark both parts on the rear axle end, the inner cv joint face and axle face, doesn't matter how as long as you have both parts clearly marked for reassembly.
It's not really needed if you're overhauling the whole joint but just for a boot change, it keeps things as they were.

sent you a link James, let me know if it does not work.

cheers
rob

After ordering my inner cv boot from the stealers I decided to get the car up and ready for the morning
Dismayed to find grease everywhere on the other side thought I was going to be doing an outer as well but on closer inspection it seems someone decided 2 boot clips weren’t necessary
a777a9e8596da07f7658695e628e1cd6.jpg

Lost quite a bit of grease though so it’s going on the to do list

Reactions: Charlie Farley
That's not the first time I've seen a lack of securing clips, it's more common than you would think.

I don’t understand why anyone would go through the work of a cv boot and not putting both clips on
Like running a marathon and quitting 10 yards from the finishing line

That's not the first time I've seen a lack of securing clips, it's more common than you would think.
Yep, I can confirm - I found one of the front CV outer joints on my car (shortly after I got it) was missing the inner boot clip. Annoying, but at least a (relatively) easy fix.