Rear footwell lights removal

Peter Metcalf

Monkey magic
Reaction score
Hi guys can anyone tell me how to remove the rear footwell lights from under the seat,
Tried all sorts and they won't budge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to upgrade mine and would be interested in that also, if there is something special needed to be done there.

You can always remove seat back covers and push them out.

I can get my fingers over the bottom frame where there attached but can't push them through, I've read somewhere on here or another forum how to do it but can't find it anywhere

I just did this a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember it being that difficult, there is a small gap somewhere where you can insert a small screwdriver and pry it open I think. Just be careful and take your time.

Reactions: Peter Metcalf
I was trying to do this in the dark lol do you know the coding for vag to switch them off during driving by any chance

Managed to do this there is a little slot cut out of the clear lens closest to the door you have to prise it really hard as there fitted extremely tight and the wire is hardly long enough to remove very fiddly indeed.

I've just done this and didn't find the removal difficult, as said there is a slot in the clear lenses towards the centre of the car that allows you to prise the fitting out. I blindly removed the light only to find, as has already been mentioned, that the connecting plug has no extra cable to pull out and allow for reconnecting. That's where I ran into issues. After much effort and cursing on my part I found that using a small screwdriver onto the rear of the plug allowed me to manipulate it so when I refitted the light into place I was able to push it back onto the plug. I'm going to have to do this again though as it was curiosity that drove me to remove it in from he first place. I've just purchased my B7 convertible and bought an internal LED kit. It's all fitted and looks great but yesterday I found the rear footwell lights, I didn't know I had them until then. I wanted to change them to LEDs as well so just wanted to confirm the type I'd need! I think next time I'm going to try and have the screwdriver in place on the rear plug when I move the light fitting and see if I can leave them connected but still get to the bulb.