Help Please Rear exhaust rattle

Slowroger

A4 S-line Black Edition Quattro
Reaction score
Hi all,

Noticed I have an annoying rattle at the rear exhaust area. I've linked a video demonstrating.
Just after a few ideas of what it could be, I sort of suspect the rear muffler mount (8K0253144M) but want further clarfication before buying parts.

Cheers.

Heat sheild possibly Jack car up and investigate further you may be to sort it with out spending any cash. . .

Heat sheild possibly Jack car up and investigate further you may be to sort it with out spending any cash. . .
Yep it was the heatshield, looks like the metal has corroded and dropped down.
Whatcha think, fixable or is this a replacement job?

Attachments

• Heat shield.jpg
    Heat shield.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 548
The easy way to sort that out is, to cut a new repair washer from a tin can or an aluminium can, big enough to easily cover that hole, remove the steel retainer, lift the shield back up, place the new washer over the stud and press fit the retainer.

If the retainer is too rusted and breaking up, buy some new ones, plenty sources on ebay or even your local VW Group dealership parts department, all VW Group cars use these retainers for heat shields and some for other things.

What has happened is, the heat shield is aluminiumised something, the retainer is galvanised steel - add in H2O and you get some dissimilar metal accelerated corrosion going on and the aluminium part loses out and disappears as a white powder - game over. No magic, just what happens in that situation the world over.

Reactions: Slowroger
The easy way to sort that out is, to cut a new repair washer from a tin can or an aluminium can, big enough to easily cover that hole, remove the steel retainer, lift the shield back up, place the new washer over the stud and press fit the retainer.

If the retainer is too rusted and breaking up, buy some new ones, plenty sources on ebay or even your local VW Group dealership parts department, all VW Group cars use these retainers for heat shields and some for other things.

What has happened is, the heat shield is aluminiumised something, the retainer is galvanised steel - add in H2O and you get some dissimilar metal accelerated corrosion going on and the aluminium part loses out and disappears as a white powder - game over. No magic, just what happens in that situation the world over.

Ooh that's a great idea, will cut to shape an drill a hole through the tin lid and that'll do the trick nicely. Cheers!

Try to keep the material you use as thin as possible, so better to use the side of a can rather than a thicker tin lid. Also dish the washer in the centre to keep used "stud length" to a minimum.

I'd still expect that the original retainer is still on that stud but you can't quite make it out as it has rusted up, if the enlarged hole on the heat shield is bigger than the retainer, that heat shield has just dropped down over the top of the retainer due to that hole opening up because of corrosion.

My very unhelpful and not asked for "free trial" of Malwarebytes Premium has blocked the first link, but the ebay link part is good, so buying some of them would not go wrong, if not for now but the future, I still have maybe 6 left over from when I last removed the side undercovers from my wife's previous Polo, bought at a much higher price from VW!

Edit:- now that you can see the design/shape of these, maybe attack that area on that stud to make sure that there is nothing sill attached to it as that steals space for the new one and washer.