Facelift Rear ended - S3 back bumpers built like tanks?

Masslob

Reaction score
So yesterday some *** abruptly braked ahead of me but i was on the ball and broke in time, the van behind me didnt and went into the back of me :/

So the damage seems to be cosmetic, like a 50p size dent and 2 screw top impressions from the reg plate, not even the bumper has deformed. Part of me reckons its all superficial, but part of me thinks there may be some chassis damage (going to get it checked tomorrow) or am i overthinking it and if the damage is so minimal it means that he hit me at low velocity?!?

If it is damn these cars are built solid thats 2 accidents ive had where the other guy came off worse (the van had a 12 inch depression in the front plastic bumper!)

You will be surprised how well cars look from a rear end bump, whip the bumper off and I bet the rear crash bar is bent matey, good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom.H and Flying Scotsman
Sorry to hear about this mate, I been there in the past.
It's always worth getting it checked properly as, even if there's no chassis damage, the bars the bumper is fixed to could be damaged (but hopefully not).
Like anything like this, once damaged, they are weakened and wouldn't be as strong if there's a next time.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and Flying Scotsman
Get the insurance company on it - will save you if you have any issues with the repair down the line.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
So yesterday some *** abruptly braked ahead of me but i was on the ball and broke in time, the van behind me didnt and went into the back of me :/

So the damage seems to be cosmetic, like a 50p size dent and 2 screw top impressions from the reg plate, not even the bumper has deformed. Part of me reckons its all superficial, but part of me thinks there may be some chassis damage (going to get it checked tomorrow) or am i overthinking it and if the damage is so minimal it means that he hit me at low velocity?!?

If it is damn these cars are built solid thats 2 accidents ive had where the other guy came off worse (the van had a 12 inch depression in the front plastic bumper!)

i think you've been lucky if you can call it that sorry, as them rear bumpers are bouncy but very very fragile,get the car looked asap by someone who knows more than us on here,hopefully it will be just superficial

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn

Saw plenty of rear end crash pics in my last job where the car looked fine, whip the bumper off and the rear panel/boot floor tell a different story.

Best get it to a body shop for a proper look, if you got the other chaps details his insurance company might even be keep to fix it, my bro had the at fault insure offer him money to use them.

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
YES as stated get it to a garage and get a proper check done asap .
Hope you are ok ?

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Thanks for replies guys and concern im more annoyed than traumatised ;)

Good news is mechanic checked it and said that chassis is ok but will need a new bumper, body shop quoted me about £600

Will give guy chance to pay in cash and keep out the insurance if not will go thru that, while im getting the bumper done i get the other body bits fixed that have happened over last 12 mths will be like having a brand new car again lol

Tough luck that mate, but it seems that you got away with it not being far worse.

One day I will invent an invisible force field around my car to prevent things like this.

Good that you are ok.

Thanks for replies guys and concern im more annoyed than traumatised ;)

Good news is mechanic checked it and said that chassis is ok but will need a new bumper, body shop quoted me about £600

Will give guy chance to pay in cash and keep out the insurance if not will go thru that, while im getting the bumper done i get the other body bits fixed that have happened over last 12 mths will be like having a brand new car again lol
£600 very low, paint alone will cost over £300 if you go to a audi approved bodyshop...

I would always go through insurance. It might seem harsh - but what recourse will you have down the line? Given you have to inform your insurance company of the accident anyway, regardless of whether you make a claim through them, it covers you for a lot of stuff.

Good to hear damage doesn't seem too bad. All bumpers should withstand low speed impact. Best to get it fully checked out. A pet hate of mine is people driving too close.

Are S3 bumpers tougher than A3 bumpers?