Rear ended by a stolen car

funguf

Sunday Driver
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I was on my way to the shop today when some @#$%^&# went straight into the back of me. I got winded in the impact and bruising to my legs, otherwise unhurt. The driver and passenger of the other car made off before I was helped to the side of the road.

Damage can be seen - got worried when smoke started to rise from the boot...the battery got fried in the collision I think.

So this being my first big accident, I'm not sure what my options are in terms of repair. I'm not sure if there is damage to the chassis yet but there are two prongs that stick out in the area that has taken the damage.

I really wouldn't want a car with significant damage back as I'm worried about potential problems and resale. I have gap insurance, but afraid of such a large claim would affect my premiums.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ah this must be frustrating, more so because your car is so new. Any witnesses? Tbh the premiums will go up regardless I reckon, that just seems to be the way nowadays. They find any reason to put up your premiums. So at least a new bumper and battery. Were the spilt fluids from the MK4 Golf only? Hopefully your fuel tank and piping are still intact. They will have to check the boot floor and chassis for damage. Plus because the car is still very new, it's unlikely they will write it off....I hope! At least you are ok!

hopefully no chassis damage. I spent a few hours detailing it just before too, what a bummer...

Can't be sure if fluids were just from the VW.

A shunt like that to the exhaust might cause problems further up with the turbo, so get that checked out.

I had a moped delivery driver over take a vehicle behind me, then attempt to overtake me while I was turning into a side road and go into the side of my RS4 back in January, he did minimal damage to my car but it's still ongoing and my premium went up £300 because of it upon renewal. I have been told I will be refunded the extra I paid once it has been finalised, however I'm not holding much hope!

Reactions: funguf
Can't really give you any advice but just glad you weren't seriously hurt and sorry to see your lovely motor like that.

Such a shame the thieving scum weren't injured. They definitely deserved to have their legs broken that's for sure. :rage:

Ah, they were injured. They weren't even wearing seat-belts, the passenger was screaming because she messed up her wrist. They didn't hang around long though!

Reactions: GMballistic
Ah, they were injured. They weren't even wearing seat-belts, the passenger was screaming because she messed up her wrist. They didn't hang around long though!
No less than they deserve.
Hopefully they've left some DNA evidence for the Police to catch them.

As Adam L above mentioned one of my concerns would be that the exhaust had been shunted forward possibly damaging it up by the turbo or manifold. Good luck & hope you get a quick resolution. ;)

Hi Folks,

Just to give an update.

I got the car back from an Audi approved body shop, the cost of repair was about £10k. It looks like only the rear sub-frame, exhaust and bumper was changed. The rear wings, tailgate got repaired and resprayed. The car went for a 4-wheel alignment. I've driven it for a few days and the engine seems OK, no weirdness or odd noises so far.

I did raise the following problems with the shop though.

- Fuel cover isn't flush with rear nearside wing, looks like it is open slightly when it isnt
- Rear nearside wing isn't flush with bumper
- Rear nearside/offside wing isn't flush with tailgate
- Large gap visible between nearside wing and bumper when opening the tailgate
- Excess paint/clearcoat on offside bumper edge, not apparent at first glance but you can see it distorts the reflection differently
- Some scuffing to rear wheel trims

Is this sort of thing normal after a big repair??

Edit: I don't think that Police even bothered looking for the driver of the stolen car...no word since.

if you aren't happy with it, then reject it!

my old car was vandal damaged, the police caught them and they were prosecuted - but i never saw any compensation, so you probably aren't missing out on much!

if you aren't happy with it, then reject it!

my old car was vandal damaged, the police caught them and they were prosecuted - but i never saw any compensation, so you probably aren't missing out on much!

I already paid the excess, can I still reject it?

did you pay that before or after they started the work? i'd ring your insurers and say you aren't happy with the repair - my car has terrible overspray on trim pieces so they replaced them, but yours sounds a lot more serious

No can do, it was not the insurance companies garage. It was an Audi approved garage so I'd have to deal with them directly. Excess was paid on collection.

i'm assuming your insurance company booked the repair though?

take it back

Audi Service took it to the nearest approved garage which isn't wasn't the insurance companies choice. They only approved the repair.

Yep, I'm going to take it back.

For that kind of money it should look like new
Exactly.

That's the problem with a crashed/damaged car that get's repair, ...imo it will never look as good as it did new (undamaged). They're always going to be signs that it's had paint or a repair done.
Usually though it's done well enough that only a trained eye will notice or if you know what you're looking for but if it's as bad as you say it is funguf with all those visible problems (like gaps not lining up etc) then that really is a pi** poor repair. :rage:

Definitely needs a fuss kicking up over that. Good luck.