Rear Disks and Pads

AshA4

Ash
Reaction score
I will need new rear disks and pads soon and a mechanic that does all my fathers work will do them for a damn site cheaper than Audi (with trade parts as well) so am getting the front pads done at the same time.

I have heard a rumor that you need VCDS to retract the caliper piston, is this true and if so is there a way around this?

I will need new rear disks and pads soon and a mechanic that does all my fathers work will do them for a damn site cheaper than Audi (with trade parts as well) so am getting the front pads done at the same time.

I have heard a rumor that you need VCDS to retract the caliper piston, is this true and if so is there a way around this?

Sadly yes, you need to electrically wind then back. Audi make more money then.

Oh come on now, that's a ridiculous statement to make, its got nothing to do with VAG making more money, the systems weren't designed for vag to coin it, they were designed with number of things in mind, ergonomics, cabin space & allow better designed console/interior.

If your confident you can use use a 12v car battery to retract the pistons. (If you have not got access to Vagcom or an Electric brake service tool).

A good indie can do this, or...

The electromechanical parking brake is a 12-volt motor that engages and retracts the rear brakes. To retract the rear wheel parking brake, you will need access to a 12-volt battery and two jumper wires. One of the jumper wires should have an insulated clip on the end so you do not short-circuit the wires. When you are looking at the caliper you will see the brake line and electric wire/connector going to the rear caliper. Disconnect the electric connector from the caliper. Inside the connector on the caliper side you will see two medal pins sticking up. Connect the two jumper wires to the 12 volt battery. Take the negative wire jumper and connect it to one of the pins on the caliper. Then take the positive wire and touch the other pin without touching the other jumper wire and causing a short. If the caliper piston starts to push out, stop!, reverse the jumper wires. You should hear the parking brake retract and the piston not move. Continue until the caliper piston starts to spin, stop! Now push the caliper piston back in with a brake tool, c-clamp, etc. Replace pads as you would normally. After all the brakes have been replaced. Pump brake pedal until you have a firm pedal. Check the brake fluid. Then turn on and off the electromechanical parking brake a few times and you should be good to go. Very simple!

Oh come on now, that's a ridiculous statement to make, its got nothing to do with VAG making more money, the systems weren't designed for vag to coin it, they were designed with number of things in mind, ergonomics, cabin space & allow better designed console/interior.

Not sure if you're taking the P or not