Rear diff oil? (not haldex)

S3-Oski

Reaction score
Hi all, Is it possible to change the rear diff oil? (not haldex)

As im sure i have read of people doing so, but when i phoned audi they said the rear diff was the haldex system, which i have had already done,

Is there a difference?:think:

cheers Oski

The Haldex and the Diff are different. IIRC its the same oil as the gearbox

Thanks Byzan, do you know if its easy to do or would it be a mechanics job ramps etc, and do you know where the sump bolt would be for this (if there is one) cheers Oski

This has bothered me too cos I did my haldex oil but couldn't even see where the rear diff oil should even go! Everyone gets confused when these topics get posted and all we need is for someone to post up a picture with a big red arrow pointing to where the rear diff oil plug is :beerchug:

This has bothered me too cos I did my haldex oil but couldn't even see where the rear diff oil should even go! Everyone gets confused when these topics get posted and all we need is for someone to post up a picture with a big red arrow pointing to where the rear diff oil plug is :beerchug:

Lol thats what we need a diagram, i have asked before and seen other people ask and it never gets answered 100%,
what makes me think if there is a seperate diff oil?, but im sure i have read of people changing it, i have used the search function but can not find any post to explain it,:think:what confused me even more when i rang Audi parts depo in Chelmsford and they said that it is the haldex?

The haldex and rear diff are 2 different things, haldex sits at the front of the diff. Diff oil can be changed but is said to be sealed for life. I changed mine a few months ago along with the haldex filter and oil.

The diff oil is droped via a 17mm allen key sump plug if memory serves me right and fills from the front of the diff housing via the same size key.

yes there are 2 different things haldex and a diff oil i cant delive auid dont even no the awnser lol.
i changed my diff oil a while ago and it was well needed to was all caramelly. there is a 17mm allen key at the bottom of the diff and a 17mm allen key about half way up the diff facing towards the back of the car the fill bung holes a bit awkward to get oil back into. it is the same oil as the gearbox 75/90 and it only holds 1ltr but you should fill the diff untill oil starts to run back out the fill hole on a level surface.

i shall try and take photos if no one else does it before i take them, probably wont be till monday or tuesday if i remember